Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iPhoto 8.1, adding several new options for ordering printed products.
This update adds several new print product options to iPhoto '09:

- Hardcover books can now be ordered in a new extra-large (10" x13") size
- Includes three new book themes with travel-oriented designs: Tropical, Asian, Old World
- A variety of new holiday greeting cards themes are now available
The update weighs in at 160.4 MB and requires OS X 10.5.6 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhoto 8.1

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Some nice additions. Will update later this afternoon.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've never ordered one of the printed books (I use web pages for photo collections, or we get individual photos printed to frame), but a friend who got one of the books for some family photos was very proud of it and liked how it turned out. It looked very professional.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Takes a long time for first start after update. My library is +30GB and it is apparently doing something before it lets me do/view anything.

MaskingTape

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Don't know if anyone else had this problem but, it fixes when you go into recovery mode and check off Recover Orphaned Files and it finding EVERY SINGLE picture and faces thumbnail as an orphan then messing up your library.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
We have really enjoyed the 8.5" x 11" hardcover books. My wife has created two of them and had multiple copies sent to family members.

The $49.95 for a 13" x 11" book seems a little pricey though...

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
I wish Apple would optimise iPhoto for fullscreen editing on the 9400M as mine can lag pretty bad at times.

Though maybe this is more of a driver issue, in which case NVidia should do something about it.

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
Don't know if anyone else had this problem but, it fixes when you go into recovery mode and check off Recover Orphaned Files and it finding EVERY SINGLE picture and faces thumbnail as an orphan then messing up your library.

What??? Please repost coherently so others can see if they have the same problem.

rhaleuk

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Cool update. The photobooks are awesome.

Does anyone know of a discount code for the photobooks? They release them occasionally and there hasn't been one for ages.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would post a code.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Cool update. The photobooks are awesome.

Does anyone know of a discount code for the photobooks? They release them occasionally and there hasn't been one for ages.

I'd really appreciate it if someone would post a code.

I agree, those photobooks turn out amazing. So much in fact that when I posted my online artist portfolio, I had a few of these books made with my portfolio items and shipped them to the companies I applied at. Needless to say, it makes a big statement for yourself when your resume is binded in a professionally bound hardcover book along with your portfolio items in one, clean package.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
I wonder if this will fix the the problem with songs starting to fade out way to early in slideshows. Actually I should be more clear.... they playback fine in iphoto, but once exported the songs in the movie file fade far too early.

edit: It did not fix the slideshow problem.

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
We have really enjoyed the 8.5" x 11" hardcover books. My wife has created two of them and had multiple copies sent to family members.

I do the same for my family. They so impressed of quality and idea itself that they can't stop talking about it. Yes, its pricey a bit:(

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

Seems to work out even worse for us in the UK.

I converted a book I was about to get printed. I think the price was around £24 for my current book. It leapt to over £40 for the new size. :-o

Would like to try the larger format but think that price is just a bit too much.

That said, I've always been impressed with the books I've had made and when I did have an issue with one, they shipped a replecement immediately.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Takes a long time for first start after update. My library is +30GB and it is apparently doing something before it lets me do/view anything.

Strange. Mine is ~70GB, 18,000 photos, and started up just as fast as usual. Maybe it's Snow Leopard.

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK

It does, but as someone who has done traditional scrapbooking for a number of years, I can state that the photo book prices are on par with that, if not less, especially once you take into consideration the "start up" costs for traditional scrapbooking, and the ongoing costs of printing out the photos, designer papers, stickers, album covers/protective sleeves, etc.

The price of the 13"x11" is $2.50 a page (additional pages over the included 20 are $1.49 each), which if I remember correctly is comparable to (or cheaper than) what Costco charges to print out 12x12 digital scrapbook pages. And the Costco charge doesn't include the actual album; just the loose pages.

I know -- tl;dr -- but I just wanted to help put the price in perspective as compared to the "competition."

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH

that's odd considering my library is about the same size, and after downloading/installing this update, iPhoto still started up as quickly as usual (one bounce of the icon and everything was completely loaded)... in any case, the new features in this update don't really affect me, but it's still good to know I'm running the latest version.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
look over there, not over HERE!!!

More useless features with hype and hot air.

BUGS!!!, FIX BUGS!!!

Make what you already have "just work" before adding new features of questionable value.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I agree, those photobooks turn out amazing. So much in fact that when I posted my online artist portfolio, I had a few of these books made with my portfolio items and shipped them to the companies I applied at. Needless to say, it makes a big statement for yourself when your resume is binded in a professionally bound hardcover book along with your portfolio items in one, clean package.

That is a great idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.