Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphoto_icon.jpg

Apple today released iPhoto 9.2.1, a minor update to address an issue that could cause the application to crash when used with a specific 3ivx plug-in.
What's New in iPhoto 9.2.1

- Addresses an issue that could cause iPhoto to quit unexpectedly on Macs with the 3ivxVideoCodec plug-in installed
The update weighs in at 357.18 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2 or later.

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhoto 9.2.1 to Address Crashing Issue

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
So thats why it was always crashing on my iMac. Was going crazy trying to figure out why mine was crashing and my other 2 computers were not.

I gave up last week and just started using Aperture.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

from the Mac app store my update was only like 30 megs.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
:D I sent this in
Also, the EFI update for MacBook Pros released today.

From Software Update, the 9.2.1 update is 259.7MB.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-26 at 10.53.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-26 at 10.53.01 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 128

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

from the Mac app store my update was only like 30 megs.

Mine was about 15 megs. I thought in Lion only the updates were downloaded instead of the entire app. Seems to work well.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
No, Perian including 3ivx capabilities doesn't mean it include the 3ivx plugin, it just means it can decode the same video format, but without causing any issue.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
I sure wish Apple would release an Aperture update to address the crashing issue.

Callsign Razor

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Connecticut
Anyone else having a problem with the update hanging while "Moving items into place"?

It's happened to me twice now, once with software update and again with the stand-alone installer.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
In iPhoto? You do realize Photo Stream (in iPhoto) is part of iCloud, right?

Does anyone know why the update wouldn't show up in the app store for me, with the latest version of lion, but it does show up in software update. If i go to the product page for iPhoto in app store it shows the price, and doesn't show "Installed" although i didn't buy it from the app store so I'm not sure which one its supposed to show. Thanks for any input y'all.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone know why the update wouldn't show up in the app store for me, with the latest version of lion, but it does show up in software update. If i go to the product page for iPhoto in app store it shows the price, and doesn't show "Installed" although i didn't buy it from the app store so I'm not sure which one its supposed to show. Thanks for any input y'all.

If your computer came preinstalled with Snow Leopard, or you bought your iLife suite outside of the Mac App Store, you need to go to Software Update to update.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Suwanee, GA
Anybody having a problem with the App Store just hanging? I can open it an get to the main screen or to the Purchased screen, but tryign to update anything or going to the Updates screen makes it freeze up and not respond. I am on Snow Leopard.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010

Just direct download from apples site.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1462

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Hmmmmm

No, Perian including 3ivx capabilities doesn't mean it include the 3ivx plugin, it just means it can decode the same video format, but without causing any issue.

I was having sporadic issues recently with iPhoto. Since the update it has been fine, and I did not have the 3ivx plugin but DID have Perian. Maybe unrelated, but nice to see that Apple are on the ball again with these updates.

WhoPhD

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today released iPhoto 9.2.1, a minor update to address an issue that could cause the application to crash when used with a specific 3ivx plug-in.The update weighs in at 357.18 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2 or later.

Ahhh I think this one's my fault. I can probably claim personal responsibility for this one as I've had 3ivx on my system since the old days (and brought it over to my new system via Time Machine restore). A few days before this was released, I took a few photos in Photo Booth and tried moving them over to iPhoto, which crashed 100% of the time no matter which method I tried. This left a pile of two-dozen crash reports on someone's intray at Apple.

Kudos to Apple for a quick turnaround! Not sure why 3ivx would be invoked when exporting & importing a JPEG file from one app to another though. I guess 3ivx advertises its compatibility to every format, and QuickTime puts a hook in at a high priority unexpectedly.

PS, Perian is compatible with 3ivx but that's purely as a result of MPEG-4 (Part 2) interoperability. In other words, that's how MPEG-4 was designed to work: Encode with one codec, decode with another. Generally this works without too much of a problem!

CK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.