Apple Releases iTunes 12.3.1 With Stability and Performance Improvements

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
this update has sucked! everything is slower and doesn't work as well as far as apple music goes! WTF!
Best update ever for me. Everything is faster now. And the music sounds better than ever. apple must have improved the audio algorithms by an order of magnitude.
I read another comment that claimed that this iTunes update significantly increased his boot time. That sounds very odd. And my boot time wasn't changed, perhaps a bit faster, but probably not.

AndreStm

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Worst iTunes update in the recent time.
On OS X 10.11.1 I'm unable to log into the iTunes Store.
iTunes 12.3.1 will freeze and burn CPU cycles.
Luckily I have all the music on a local disk.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

dsmedic10

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
My iTunes on my iPhone just gets stuck at the Apple Music page. Before it went right to my music library. Now it's literally on the Apple Music page and theres no button, no continue, no next, nothing.

I rebooted my iPhone, and it worked again. Now I see my library. However after about 20 seconds, I get a white screen. I have the icons on the bottom "My Music" "For You" etc, but a white screen above that. Clicking the icons on the bottom does nothing to change the white screen. Really strange.

When I turn on AIRPLANE mode, the library returns! It seems like somehow iTunes is attempting to get on the network and is crashing/stalling/time-out. I have made no configuration changes other than updating to iTunes 12.3.1 and iOS 9.1.

Anyone else seeing this?

jrtristao

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2015
so, since I upgraded to the current version my iPod and iPhone cannot be detected, I'm connecting the devices but iTunes gets any response, nothing. Is there someone dealing with it too?

AndreStm

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
On OS X 10.11.1 I'm unable to log into the iTunes Store.
iTunes 12.3.1 will freeze and burn CPU cycles.
This behavour is probably caused by the iTunes stand alone installer DMG.
On another Mac where the software update was used, the login works well.
I'll try a fresh install of OS X 10.11.1 on the affected Mac tomorrow.

Addendum 1:
- After a fresh installation, the iTunes Store login works again.
- But I'm unable to login to the Mac App Store.

Addendum 2:
Both logins seem to require a running APSD demon. I used to keep this one disabled due to privacy concerns. As the APSD demon continuously holds a TCP/IP connection open to Apple.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Just checked my iPhone and iPad and both go straight to the same screen after the update, even though they are both set to not show Apple Music. I guess Tim was fibbing the other day and doesn't really feel "fantastic" about the customer uptake so far. :rolleyes:
Wait. Does this mean I need to turn off showing Apple Music, again?
Oh, and I have updated my Mac version iTunes days ago. Does this mean I need to wait 20 min for app to start up?
Thanks god I didn't update Windows iTunes.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Time to give it a try on time machine backup. Ugh.

In iTunes 11 and earlier, if there are app updates, I download them and from the device Summary screen, just hit the Sync button, and the new, updated apps get transferred to the device.
Just so convenient? That was amazing! I stop trying to update app using iTunes 12 is because of this reason.

I don't know how reflective of Apple's current state of affairs this is, but it seems the quality of the software is getting to the point where poor QC, and/or overly-complex design is affecting the user experience to a much greater extent than in the past.
I don't know much about the past of Apple software. But I agree what you are saying.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Wait. Does this mean I need to turn off showing Apple Music, again?
Oh, and I have updated my Mac version iTunes days ago. Does this mean I need to wait 20 min for app to start up?
Thanks god I didn't update Windows iTunes.
On the two Macs and two PCs I updated the iTunes Preferences were all modified with the Show Apple Music option now ticked which is a bit naughty from Apple.

On iOS, the setting was still turned off on my iPhone but on the iPad it had been switched back on. Both also showed the Apple Music splash screen when Music was first opened up but this goes away after the first time you run it.

Photo 25-10-2015, 09 25 23.png
I don't mind the spammy Apple Music advert too much but they shouldn't be altering our user preferences as a way to remind us about their fledgling new subscription service. I've made the decision to opt out and if someone has gone to the effort of turning the setting off they should leave it alone and respect our choice.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
On the two Macs and two PCs I updated the iTunes Preferences were all modified with the Show Apple Music option now ticked which is a bit naughty from Apple.

On iOS, the setting was still turned off on my iPhone but on the iPad it had been switched back on. Both also showed the Apple Music splash screen when Music was first opened up but this goes away after the first time you run it.

View attachment 595558
I don't mind the spammy Apple Music advert too much but they shouldn't be altering our user preferences as a way to remind us about their fledgling new subscription service. I've made the decision to opt out and if someone has gone to the effort of turning the setting off they should leave it alone and respect our choice.
I have checked my iPad mini and it doesn't show up Apple Music page, when offline.

And when online, it Does show up. Annoying.

iPhone has the same thing as you say.

Yes. Apple should not alter user choice, and should not use any method to either note users to use their service or imply users to use their service, after they have chosen to opt out.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Well, THIS one hosed the program and made it completely unusable. Spinning wheel, ten minutes to launch the app, click on a song, two minutes until it starts playing, interface locked up completely until the song is halfway through, next, song, same garbage. Luckily I had a time machine backup, changed the permissions so I could dump the piece of waste, and replaced it with the previous version from days before.

Have no idea what Apple was thinking or how they hosed the thing up. Turned off all syncing by the way, no difference.

Yes, I told them.

:apple:

mcdawg

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Yes, iTunes 12.3.1 it's a veritable quicksand nightmare for me, and clearly many others:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7296892
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7303905

It's so slow that I wouldn't be surprised if it was confirmed as a plot by Apple to sell new Mac hardware, because it's made me want to throw my Macbook against the wall on multiple occasions. However, it doesn't even seem like the latest and greatest hardware will fix this - users with the whole spectrum of Mac setups are evidently experiencing horrific beachball-y slowdowns with this latest version of iTunes.