Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes122logo.jpg
Alongside the release of a new macOS Sierra 10.12.5 update that brings some minor bug fixes and performance improvements, Apple has launched a new version of iTunes, iTunes 12.6.1.

According to Apple's release notes, iTunes 12.6.1 includes "minor app and performance improvements." More specific details on those improvements are not available.

iTunes 12.6.1 can be downloaded for free using the Software Update function in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.6.1 With Minor App and Performance Improvements

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Still slow and bloated.........one of these days, I will install these updates, and it will open and be blazing fast, and trimmed down, and I will be like "what?! What a great update!"
Ha ha ha... we can dream...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Still slow and bloated.........one of these days, I will install these updates, and it will open and be blazing fast, and trimmed down, and I will be like "what?! What a great update!"
I fear that day.

Knowing Apple this will take a rewrite where they bin most of the features that separate it from other media managers.

iPhoto to Photos has shown me clearly enough not to trust today's Apple in terms of users controlling and managing their workflows themselves.

The longer iTunes stays untouched the better IMHO.

ymmv

Glassed Silver:ios

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Not quite related, but up until recently, my partner has been able to stream my purchased TV shows through Family Sharing on iTunes for Windows

But in the past few weeks the feature has seemingly disappeared. The shows no longer show in his library and he has to go to the Family Sharing section in the store itself and download episodes individually (or all of them).

The instant streaming feature is seemingly gone. Anyone else had similar issues?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Artists are displayed a hundred times faster now – thumbs up! Always made the beachball come up before.

Now If only Apple would put this stuff in their release notes.

lucidhysteria

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
I fear that day.

Knowing Apple this will take a rewrite where they bin most of the features that separate it from other media managers.

iPhoto to Photos has shown me clearly enough not to trust today's Apple in terms of users controlling and managing their workflows themselves.

THIS. Exactly this. This is what I've been saying every time I hear the "Apple should just split everything up" rant (which seems to be... oh, about anytime anyone anywhere mentions iTunes, ha). As it stands, iTunes may be in need of performance improvements, etc., but people don't appreciate the kind of advanced functionality it offers (especially compared to what people seem to think are the alternatives, such as Spotify, etc.). I'm afraid so much of that would be lost and people who put a lot of work into massive libraries will be left with a fraction of the features, and few of the ones that make iTunes such a powerful library tool to begin with.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I'll update when I get home later. Can anyone report any changes with Genius?

Called a few weeks ago and they were still 'investigating' the issue of Genius not working with new music

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
My god, they should just release a detailed release note, those who care will read it, those who don't won't read it. Same with the macOS release notes, wouldn't see a problem there..

Apple will never do this. Why? Because it would embarrass them to know that you and I know about the terrible quality in their releases. The fact is they would not release near gigabyte updates if the changes did not require near gigabyte updates.

It seems based on recent history that Apple has a policy to just let crap out the door and fix it later, that release dates are set in advance and nothing changes them, that releases are narrowly tested on only current production hardware, that fixes are only issued when the public outrage reaches intolerable level or they finally get time to get around to it.

If Apple has a super secret project then no updates are going to be issued. I even suspect that beta software is released with just cosmetic changes aimed to make people feel better. Remember this, Apple is a marketing company first and foremost. It used to be ok because the engineering backed up the marketing, but with the loss of Jobs engineering does not seem to matter as much as cost anymore.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I fear that day.

ymmv

Glassed Silver:ios

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I remember how so much was lost going from Aperture to Photos and don't want to see the same thing happen to iTunes.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This update fixes the bug wherein the mini player was always showing up on the wrong part of the screen. So, I'm happy camper. Lovin' me some iTunes 12.6.1!
Does the mini player still show this huge album art and if you make it smaller it cuts off the bottom of your album art, just terrible. There was nothing wrong with how the mini player use to work until Apple ruined the look.
[doublepost=1494887835][/doublepost]
When will they let us go back to our custom pictures of Artists, hate having the microphone image for some artists
It's been like this for a while, I hated it which is why I downgraded to prior version. It's ridiculous, makes it seem like this was created by a interns.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Anyone can confirm that this version of iTunes can edit multiple items (such as albums or artists) and save edited data?

This one alone is enough to stop me from updating Mac OS X altogether.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Always entertaining to read these comments and ponder just how on earth folks get so worked up about "Apple" being so bad at this or that, or iTunes being terrible, yet we all still apparently use the stuff. I think some people just like the smell of their own armpits. I think iTunes is great software!

Wildhope

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2017
NY
Always entertaining to read these comments and ponder just how on earth folks get so worked up about "Apple" being so bad at this or that, or iTunes being terrible, yet we all still apparently use the stuff. I think some people just like the smell of their own armpits. I think iTunes is great software!

I like iTunes but its very bloated.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
iTunes fan here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.