Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

java_icon.jpg

Apple today released a pair of Java updates for users of Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Leopard, patching vulnerabilities and increasing reliability and compatibility.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 5 (75.45 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.6.4)
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 5 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26.
- Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 (120.33 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.5.8)
Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs.

J2SE 1.4.2 is no longer being updated to fix bugs or security issues and remains disabled by default in this update.
Full details of the security improvements included in the updates are available in support documents for Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Update 6 for Snow Leopard and Update 10 for Leopard

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Hopefully one of the last before Apple allows Oracle to [rightly] support Java on Mac OS X.

Comment

Benz63amg

macrumors 68040
Oct 17, 2010
so what does that mean that they took the update out as it not on their website anymore?

Comment

Benz63amg

macrumors 68040
Oct 17, 2010
why did apple remove this update from their website? i dont get it.. :confused:

Comment

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
why did apple remove this update from their website? i dont get it.. :confused:

It is not removed - just the links are yet to be updated. If you replace the trailing 4 in the download link with 5 for Snow Leopard and 9 with 10 for Leopard you can download the updates manually.

Comment

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I thought Apple stopped giving out Java updates?

Anyway, I welcome this move as a Java developer. :D

Comment

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I thought Apple stopped giving out Java updates?

Anyway, I welcome this move as a Java developer. :D

Apple won't be providing Java in Lion, but they will still support Java in their existing products. For Lion, you'll have to get a JVM from Oracle presumably (like it is with all other operating systems, except maybe Solaris)

Edit: see interrobang's post below... apparently Apple will provide Java6 in Lion, and leave Java 7 to Oracle.

Last edited:
Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple won't be providing Java in Lion, but they will still support Java in their existing products. For Lion, you'll have to get a JVM from Oracle presumably (like it is with all other operating systems, except maybe Solaris)

I haven't heard anything about Oracle's JVM for Mac in a long time.

It's clear that Apple doesn't care about Java anymore, but it would be pretty bad if there is no "official" JRE on Lion.

Comment

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
It's clear that Apple doesn't care about Java anymore, but it would be pretty bad if there is no "official" JRE on Lion.

You do realize that there's no official JRE on Windows or Linux either, right? This was some "control" thing that Apple adopted long ago, and very recently decided it wasn't worth the trouble. This DOES NOT mean that Java and Mac are now incompatible in any way. Apple should be praised for realizing they were wrong and finally handing control of Java on Mac OS back to its developer, Oracle.

All this means is that Java updates are now more timely.

Comment

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I'm confused......Lion is supposed to be installed over Snow Leopard, does that mean we will lose Apple's JVM upon updating to Lion? :(

Comment

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007

Not exactly. Right now Apple is working on merging it's own implementation and extensions into the Oracle Java. How the final distribution method will work still isn't set in stone, but there is progress. For example on Snow Leopard you can actually load several different JRE implementations(not just versions) and select which one to use.

Comment

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I'm open to being corrected, but if I remember right, one of the announcements by Apple surrounding Java seemed to suggest that they would continue to supply Java 6, even on Lion, whereas Java 7 would be Oracle's territory.

Comment

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
If you run Parallels Desktop don't down load this update until Parallels has an update fix. The Java update 5 will make Parallels use 100% of your CPU.

Comment

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I'm open to being corrected, but if I remember right, one of the announcements by Apple surrounding Java seemed to suggest that they would continue to supply Java 6, even on Lion, whereas Java 7 would be Oracle's territory.

Nope, you're spot on.

Comment

PhilSukalewski

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
Print All button for FedEx Labels

Does anyone know if this allows the "Print All labels" button on FedEx.com to no function on a Mac?

I've been frustrated for years because I am forced to print one label at a time using my Mac, whereas on any Windows machine i can print all the labels for a single shipment at once. It does not matter whether I'm using Safari or Firefox.

I've spoken with FedEx and they say it is due to the Java version that Apple uses. Also, I s/w with an Apple Genius and they acknowledge that they have the same issue in their store & are not aware of a fix.

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You do realize that there's no official JRE on Windows or Linux either, right?

It's official in the sense that users can download a 32 or 64 bit JRE or JDK from Oracle the day that any security updates are made available. That cannot be said for Mac OS X.

This was some "control" thing that Apple adopted long ago, and very recently decided it wasn't worth the trouble. This DOES NOT mean that Java and Mac are now incompatible in any way.

Apple should be praised for realizing they were wrong and finally handing control of Java on Mac OS back to its developer, Oracle.

I never said anything to the contrary. However, if Apple does not provide Java 6 in Lion (like they said that they would) and Oracle does not release a JRE of their own for the platform, then users of Lion will be without a "proper" JRE.

All this means is that Java updates are now more timely.

Does it? There is absolutely no sign of Oracle's JRE for Mac OS X actually being released.

Your statement is premature.

Comment

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
It's official in the sense that users can download a 32 or 64 bit JRE or JDK from Oracle the day that any security updates are made available. That cannot be said for Mac OS X.

That is true, but that can't even be said for Mac OS X now. I apologize though, I thought you were simply another one of the people in hysteria over the fact that Apple was dropping support for Java and adopting the pattern that every other platform uses. But you actually had a point.

I never said anything to the contrary. However, if Apple does not provide Java 6 in Lion (like they said that they would) and Oracle does not release a JRE of their own for the platform, then users of Lion will be without a "proper" JRE.

But they've already stated that they would keep SE 6 available for OS X Lion, thus giving time for Oracle to develop their own version of 7 [I've seen a report estimating that SE 7 for Mac will be available from Oracle about 3 months after it's officially available, and that the releases for Mac will continually get closer and closer to those of Windows/Linux/Solaris until they becomes part of the regular release cycle].

Does it? There is absolutely no sign of Oracle's JRE for Mac OS X actually being released.

Your statement is premature.

Oracle has publicly announced that they're going to do that ...

Comment

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
may be is something else ...

If you run Parallels Desktop don't down load this update until Parallels has an update fix. The Java update 5 will make Parallels use 100% of your CPU.

I am running Parallels 6, installed the update and I do not see increased CPU usage.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.