MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

192026-java_icon.jpg

Apple today released a pair of software updates bringing new version of Java to Macs running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Leopard. The updates deliver improvements to compatibility, security, and reliability.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3 (74.30 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.6.4)
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_22.
- Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 8 (119.07 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.5.8)
Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 8 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_26, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_22 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs. J2SE 1.4.2 is no longer being updated to fix bugs or security issues and remains disabled by default in this update.
Full details of the security improvements included in the updates are available in support documents for Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Updates for Snow Leopard (Version 3) and Leopard (Version 8)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I knew this was coming - Java 6u20 has security issues that this update addresses, albeit later than I hoped for. I hope this does not break my existing Java apps.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its great that Apple are still updating Java... however, no news regarding Java 7... Hoping that Java 7 doesn't appear too long after official releases on other platforms.

Comment

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
You missed the real story -- in the release notes Apple explain that they're deprecating the Apple maintained version of Java:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/10/apple-deprecates-java

Apple have provided a mechanism for installing 3rd party JDKs (in particular OpenJDK), but it likely won't work with current versions of Java IDEs (Netbeans, Eclipse etc) until they're updated to work with the new paths.

I wonder if this is anything to do with Oralce?

Comment

mmccaskill

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
You missed the real story -- in the release notes Apple explain that they're deprecating the Apple maintained version of Java:

Apple have provided a mechanism for installing 3rd party JDKs (in particular OpenJDK), but it likely won't work with current versions of Java IDEs (Netbeans, Eclipse etc) until they're updated to work with the new paths.

More importantly, is Java going to die on OS X? If OpenJDK or Soylatte don't pick it up then is all lost?

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH

No. It's not related to any dislike between Apple and Oracle. I believe it was timed purposely to keep Java applications out of the new Mac App Store.
More importantly, is Java going to die on OS X? If OpenJDK or Soylatte don't pick it up then is all lost?
Don't forget the IcedTea project. This is related to OpenJDK, and already has a working Mac implementation.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I really hope Oracle can maintain an Apple version of Java, otherwise this will be a very sad day for people who use OSX and Java together.

Oracle has long dumped Oracle for OSX, so I'm not hopeful that Oracle Java 7 will ever see the light of day on Macs.

No Java - No OpenOffice and a load of other apps on OSX.

Also, quite a portion of Java developers use OSX too...

Even the Apple discussions board is powered by Java / JSP!

Comment

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
No. It's not related to any dislike between Apple and Oracle. I believe it was timed purposely to keep Java applications out of the new Mac App Store.

Good point, I hadn't linked the two things together. I wonder what their motives are? I wonder how they'll feel about MacRuby and MonoMac stuff that is submitted to the AppStore?

Comment

biket

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
Hmm, the update removed src.jar so Eclipse no longer has source attachments, and strangely I am unable to restore via Time Machine. The Developer Package does not help either.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Oracle did no such thing. Were you maybe thinking of Sun? Many years ago?

You gotta admit, those are some of the fugliest and un-Mac-like applications out there.

Sorry, I meant Oracle have discontinued their Oracle database for OSX.. the last release for OSX was Oracle 10g. Oracle is now 11g.

Agreed - they aren't particularly pretty but since OO v3 things have got better with the use of Aqua. However, I'd rather them look ugly and have them not available on OSX at all...

Comment

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Sorry, I meant Oracle have discontinued their Oracle database for OSX.. the last release for OSX was Oracle 10g. Oracle is now 11g.
No, good point, Oracle probably shouldn't have bothered. Maybe it was a pet project for an internal developer that died on the vine?
Agreed - they aren't particularly pretty but since OO v3 things have got better with the use of Aqua. However, I'd rather them look ugly and have them not available on OSX at all...
My objection is that someone who won't or can't bother to put a little polish on an application to make it meet the :apple: HIG, probably won't put much effort into the platform-specific support issues that invariably crop up. Personally, if I wanted to run a Linux application I'd run the Linux OS. But I see where you're coming from.

Comment

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
Anyone else getting broswer (chrome, firefox, safari) crashes constantly since installing this update?

I am having serious problems with pages loading properly since this update. :(

Comment

lawrencewinkler

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Its great that Apple are still updating Java... however, no news regarding Java 7... Hoping that Java 7 doesn't appear too long after official releases on other platforms.

Oracle announced Java 7 for Summer 2011, Java 8 12 to 18 months later. They are generally moving the JVM to better support languages other than Java, including support for functions as first-class objects among other improvements.

Comment

lawrencewinkler

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
More Open OSX?

Don't forget the IcedTea project. This is related to OpenJDK, and already has a working Mac implementation.

My take on the announcement is that Apple is ensuring that OSX will be more open to installation of such software and not requiring Apple's developers to reimplement versions of Java as they come out. I suspect Apple wants to use their development staff for Apple-specific software.

I don't think the Mac App Store has any relevance to the discussion.

Oracle's announcements at the JavaOne 2010 meeting seems to promise bringing Java as a platform back from the dead -- something Sun was having problems doing. The Oracle promise of rapid progress of the Java platform would make it difficult/expensive for Apple to keep up and still be a viable platform for Java development.

I think Jobs' announcement is a positive sign.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.