Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164433-logic_pro_logic_express.jpg

Apple today released a pair of updates for its Logic audio workstation software packages, bringing improved compatibility with Apple's new Mac Pros and several other enhancements. Logic Pro 9.1.2 (193.01 MB) and Logic Express 9.1.2 (139.67 MB) each require Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later.
Issues addressed with 9.1.2 include:

- Improved compatibility with 6 and 12-core Mac Pro systems
- Support for iOS control surface apps that utilize the OSC protocol
- REX files now supported in 64-bit mode
- Improved compatibility with select Audio Unit plug-ins
Full details on the changes included in the updates are available in the release notes for Logic Pro and Logic Express.

Article Link: Apple Releases Logic Pro and Logic Express 9.1.2

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Support for OSC iOS apps?

So, TouchOSC works natively now?? Without the £ paid for version of OSCalculator????

Flore

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Dubai
I hope this fixes some of the bugs I am experiencing ever since Logic 9.

Smart snapping works much much worse than in 8, and it crashes constantly when volumes are ejected or mounted, for instance.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
HUGE problem with this update.

The previous version used hyper threading on quad machines, this one disables it. Quad users are seeing that they have lost almost half their processing power.

I can't believe Apple shipped such a messed up version. Wait for 9.1.3, this one is a lemon.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Excellent! Exactly the update i've been waiting for for my hex-core :)

Muso75

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
HUGE problem with this update.

The previous version used hyper threading on quad machines, this one disables it. Quad users are seeing that they have lost almost half their processing power.

I can't believe Apple shipped such a messed up version. Wait for 9.1.3, this one is a lemon.

Yup - scary stuff. Check this thread out...

Don't do the upgrade if you have a quad-core. 6/8/12 cores are hobbled without hyperthreading just as they were before.

http://www.gearspace.com/board/new-product-alert/540124-logic-pro-9-1-2-released.html

TheOtherGuy2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Does anyone know, if Logic Express is any good for pure music notation or is it like Garageband, where notation is just a gimmick hooked to a audio stream precreated?

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Major failure on my Mac Pro Quad 2009. Not only using half the cores available, suddenly Logic crashes during startup splashscreen. Couldn't get Logic to start at all.

In the end I had to downgrade to 9.1.1 just to get the program running again.

Sad day for Logic users today.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ack!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Major failure on my Mac Pro Quad 2009. Not only using half the cores available, suddenly Logic crashes during startup splashscreen. Couldn't get Logic to start at all.

In the end I had to downgrade to 9.1.1 just to get the program running again.

Sad day for Logic users today.

How did you downgrade? Did you have to reinstall the entire program again from scratch or is there a simple way of REVERTING to the previous version without causing that* huge headache?

(nevermind, I've been sufficiently clued in elsewhere).

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010

Moved Logic 9.1.2 to the trash (where it belongs), reinstalled only Logic Pro. Managed to download the 9.1.1 from Apple's website by Googling for it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I strongly recommend making a copy of apps before applying upgrades so you have the earlier versions. I tend to save old copies of software and plugin installers as well.

I've been doing it for a long time with Logic and other apps, although I've never seen an update with a problem as bad as this one.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Yep...

I strongly recommend making a copy of apps before applying upgrades so you have the earlier versions. I tend to save old copies of software and plugin installers as well.

I've been doing it for a long time with Logic and other apps, although I've never seen an update with a problem as bad as this one.

Now that I have my dual 1.5 TB drives online I'll be making a concerted effort to back-up my apps directory and data from both iTunes and iPhoto. I'd only done a cursory effort but this one situation brought into clear focus that I need to be more proactive.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Is this Apple's solution for the 6 core not running logic properly? Hey, now at least the quad core is slower than the 6 core!

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I think it's time to move on over to cubase everyone. I'm sure as hell not paying another penny for Logic with this being Apple's standard for treatment of professional users.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
That's What You Get.....

That's what you get when you move everyone in your company from what they were doing to the IOS-crap side of the house.
The Logic engineers probably forgot everything about the program while in IOS-land, and (sarcasm) the only reason we even got a 9.1.2 update was because of the IOS-crap they added to it. (/sarcasm).

Thanks for the heads-up everyone. I'll stay at 9.1.1 :eek:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
There's a fix, from apple's support boards. Tested it and it seems to work.

Just got that from AppleCare:

They are aware of the performance problem on certain machines in certain setups and working on a solution. However you can enable the virtual cores on all Quad Core machines with this commandline in Logic 9.1.2!

Open Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities and copy the following line into the window and press return:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool yes

You can then quit Terminal.app. Relaunch Logic and you should have twice the number of processing threads.

Warning: this preference can actually lower your performance or have a negative impact on stability (e.g. you get audio engine overloads). In this case you can disable it by using the following line in Terminal.app:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCoresQuad -bool no

carambo

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2009
Switerland
with this version, my old MBP 17 2.16 is slower than before with 9.1.1, and now the 2 CPU bars are moving the same way, before each one was going its own way according to CPU load. Very strange. I overload much faster than before. Would be interesting to see if other core (2) duo users experience the same ?

Muso75

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
OK - apparently there is a fix for ALL machines!

Here it is:

Install the 9.1.2 update.

Open Terminal.app from /Applications/Utilities and copy the following line into the window and press return:

defaults write com.apple.logic.pro MD_AllowVirtualCores -bool yes

8-core users are seeing 16 processor meters and spectacular results.

ArtandStructure

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Does anyone know, if Logic Express is any good for pure music notation or is it like Garageband, where notation is just a gimmick hooked to a audio stream precreated?

I use Logic Express and as far as I am aware it has the same exact notation capabilities as Pro, which is excellent with a few very minor quirks. In fact, as I recall, Express is Essentially Pro minus all the plug-ins for most purposes and is an excellent buy IMHO.

All the best...

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Wow

Entering this string into terminal:

defaults write com.apple.garageband MD_AllowVirtualCores -bool yes

Makes Garageband hyperthreadable since it was built on logic.

The string above is based on the command that provides multithreading capability back to Logic after version 9.12.

GBHyperthreader.jpg

WOW!

I know for Logic users it's not a big deal but for Garageband users it will give those users additional horsepower if they're running any hyperthreadable processors.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I know for Logic users it's not a big deal but for Garageband users it will give those users additional horsepower if they're running any hyperthreadable processors.

Actually HT was only used on quads in the previous version so for eight core owners this new option is a HUGE deal.

It would have been great if it had just been in the release instead of things being worse and users having to contact applecare and then figure out how to hack it for other machines...but still a great end result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.