Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released an updated version of Logic Pro, introducing all of the new features that were previewed last week. New versions of both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro were announced alongside the new iPad Pro models last Tuesday, and the updates are available for Mac and iPad.

apple-logic-pro-2.jpeg

Logic Pro has new AI-based studio assistant features that help artists make music, with these options joining Smart Tempo and the Pitch Correction plug-in. Session Players expand the Drummer capabilities in Logic Pro, with Apple adding a new Bass Player and Keyboard Player. Session Players are able to follow the same chord progression using Global chord track.

With a new ChromaGlow feature, users can dial in the perfect tone and choose from five different saturation styles to add warmth, presence, and punch to tracks by simulating the sound of vintage analog hardware.

Audio files can be separated into stems for vocals, drums, bass, and other parts using the Stem Splitter feature. Separating tracks is aimed at making it easier to apply effects, add new parts, and change the mix. There are also updates for Sound Library, Spatial Audio, and other features with Apple's full notes available below.
AI Enhanced Tools
- New AI enhanced tools join Smart Tempo and the Pitch Correction plug-in to augment your artistry
- Bass Player and Keyboard Player join Drummer to complete a set of Session Players -- all built with AI making it easy to create performances that respond to your direction
- Session Players can follow the same chord progression using Global chord track
- Add warmth to any track with ChromaGlow, an advanced plug-in with five saturation models designed to simulate the sound of vintage analog hardware. Requires M1 chip or later.
- Separate a stereo audio file into stems for vocals, drums, bass and other parts with Stem Splitter. Requires M1 chip or later.
- Session Players, ChromaGlow, and Stem Splitter also come to Logic Pro for iPad 2 -- making it simple to move between projects created in Logic Pro for Mac

Sound Library
- Play any of six deeply-sampled acoustic and electric basses with Studio Bass
- Perform any of three meticulously-sampled pianos with Studio Piano
- Loops that contain chord tags will automatically populate the chord track when added to a project
- Three new Producer Packs are available: Hardwell, The Kount, and Cory Wong
- Original multi-track project of "Swing!" by Ellie Dixon available as in-app demo song

Spatial Audio
- Downmix and trim options allow custom mixing for non-Atmos channel configurations
- Exported ADM BWF files have been expanded beyond Dolby Atmos and can contain settings for stereo and other multi-channel formats

Enhancements
- Bounce in place adds automatic realtime recording for External Instrument regions or tracks that utilize external hardware using Logic's I/O plug-in
- MIDI generated by supported software instruments and effects can be routed to the input of other tracks for creative layering during playback or recording
- Edit more efficiently using key commands for moving, extending, or resizing marquee selections
These features are available for Logic Pro on the Mac, with Session Players, ChromaGlow, Stem Splitter, and the new Sound Library options also available on Logic Pro 2 for the iPad.

The updated version of Logic Pro is free for existing users, and $200 for new users.

Article Link: Apple Releases Logic Pro for Mac and iPad Updates With New AI Features

Reactions: iGeneo

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Session Players, ChromaGlow, and Stem Splitter also come to Logic Pro for iPad 2

That sounds like a lot of CPU work for the second iPad model, released in 2011. It’s an odd choice for Apple to restore software support for that old model but perhaps they’re turning over a new leaf? Still, these calculations must take hours.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Just curious, why is this software called Logic Pro? It isn’t a Logic simulator, it’s music production.

aroom

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2014
Hmmm, I happen to have a collection of early 20th century flamenco recordings taken from the original spanish 78rpm records. I wonder if the stem separation thing can pull out the vocal & guitar parts without all the pops and crackles...
You can remove the pops and cracks with a proper tool like Izotope RX.

The new stem separation works quite well.

Stay_Resonant

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Honestly, would love to switch over...but logic is the only DAW I've used that more or less makes you navigate your sample library with the finder. Yes there are workarounds, but it's such a large part of my workflow and sample navigation is embedded in every single other DAW I've used.

It's such a simple thing, and I'm sure its not keeping just me away from switching over.

Lots to love about logic, but until they can figure out a sample browser, its not it for me.

Reactions: johnnytravels

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Just curious, why is this software called Logic Pro? It isn’t a Logic simulator, it’s music production.
I can't think of a Reason. :)

Seriously, I don't know why the name was chosen, but "Logic" is an old, established product name that goes back to to the early 90s (that's like 200 in computer years) - which Apple only took over in the 00s.

jpallarest

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019
Lame. I guess I can't expect much from it, as it's a free update. But for a full 11.0 version this is underwhelming.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: aylk

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
Honestly, would love to switch over...but logic is the only DAW I've used that more or less makes you navigate your sample library with the finder. Yes there are workarounds, but it's such a large part of my workflow and sample navigation is embedded in every single other DAW I've used.

It's such a simple thing, and I'm sure its not keeping just me away from switching over.

Lots to love about logic, but until they can figure out a sample browser, its not it for me.
I agree. That and the way third party plugins are tucked away makes it a chore to use (which is why I use Ableton). Doodling the built in sounds is a fantastic time, but once you dare leave the confines of the built in content it’s just weird and convoluted (and the drum machine designer is so far behind Ableton drum rack, it’s unbelievable).

The Stem Splitter is absolutely fantastic and works far better than anything else out there.
No it doesn’t. There’s a bunch of tools that yield better results (there’s even freeware that yields better results if you put in the time to configure it properly).
But it’s obviously really good, far better than these things were a few years ago, and I think it’s even slightly better than Serato (and miles ahead of Akai).

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
Love how Apple still cares about its pro software. Yet another fabulous update. Bravo!
This does not apply to FCP, unfortunately. They seem to have completely dropped the ball there. I fear it could suffer the same fate as Aperture at this rate…

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
You’d have to ask the original German developers of 1993 to get an answer to that one! It’s just marketing. At a stretch, I imagine the row-based sequencer display resembled the output of popular electronic logic analyser devices of the day.

But, you’d then have to ask yourself where the names Cubase and Cakewalk came from.

Reactions: bgillander

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Nice! What do you think about those new sampled pianos, that come with Logic 11?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
A meaty, and free update for 11 year old software! I'll take it! :cool:

Reactions: loby

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
None of these features interest me. What interests me are all the bug fixes. You think macOS has bugs, Logic has so many of them you learn many ways to working around them, and even then forget the alchemy of bypassing them, especially with external analog gear. I/O Utility needs a complete redesign and written all in Assembly.

I won't touch 11 until 11.3.x has arrived.

Reactions: JungleNYC

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
What interests me are all the bug fixes.

Obviously, if you run Logic professionally you will not want to break anything.
However, on the issue of bug fixes, every new version will fix some while at he same time introduce some new ones.
You will never win that battle. There will be as many bugs in 11.3.x as there have been in previous versions, just not necessarily the same bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.