Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 Update Version 1.1, a re-release of Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 initially released earlier this month. While Apple has not provided any documentation on what changes are present from the initial release, Version 1.1 likely offers bug fixes for issues missed in the initial release.

- Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 Update v.1.1 (274 MB) - for users running OS X Server 10.5.7
- Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 Combo Update v.1.1 (978 MB) - for users running version of OS X Server Leopard prior to 10.5.7

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 Version 1.1

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
99% chance they've fixed the issue they introduced with multiple NICs and the serial number server freaking out because it sees the serial number on 2 different interfaces. I've been running on 1 NIC since 10.5.8 came out because of this foolishness.

mreed911

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
99% chance they've fixed the issue they introduced with multiple NICs and the serial number server freaking out because it sees the serial number on 2 different interfaces. I've been running on 1 NIC since 10.5.8 came out because of this foolishness.

You didn't catch this in your test environment before you rolled it into production?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You didn't catch this in your test environment before you rolled it into production?

You're assuming that we have the money for a test environment. At my enterprise level, "Apple" & "Mac" are still dirty words.

Edit: Interesting side note, it doesn't show up as an available patch for me. :)

Yep:

About Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 Combo Update v.1.1
The 10.5.8 update is recommended for all servers currently running Leopard Server. This update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for

- reliability of AFP for file services and Time Machine backups
- propagating file system permissions
- maintaining history of users previous passwords
- ensuring consistent VPN throughput regardless of load
- Spotlight indexing and memory consumption
- Resolve duplicate serial number alert for servers with multiple network interfaces

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You're assuming that we have the money for a test environment. At my enterprise level, "Apple" & "Mac" are still dirty words.

Edit: Interesting side note, it doesn't show up as an available patch for me. :)

Yep:

Still doesn't show up for me either. I have been having a little bit of slow weirdness with Time Machine backups over the network. May have to do a manual download.

A lot of small businesses don't have the resources for a test environment either. That's partly why we use Macs, because it "just works", right? I just hope that every business no matter what their resources evaluates what the acceptable risk is and at the very least makes a backup of their data before any configuration changes. Where I work, the data on the computers is essential, but an hour or two of downtime would just irritate people.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I ended up downloading the combo update and installing it.

Just enabled my second NIC and so far, so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.