Apple Releases Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.5

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.5, bringing fixes for several issues on the latest version of Apple's professional workstation.
This update is recommended for all Mac Pro (Mid 2010) models and addresses the following issues:

- Resolves an issue that prevented the firmware password prompt from being displayed
- Resolves an issue that prevented the Boot Picker from being presented if Ethernet is connected to a network without DHCP
The update weighs in at 1.96 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Apple has also released Firmware Restoration CD 1.9 (22.5 MB) incorporating the updated Mac Pro firmware.

Article Link: Apple Releases Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.5

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Wow I wonder what has a network without DHCP has to do with the boot picker that one thing could break the other! I can see how that could be annoying...

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Just installed. Now I want to test if the sound bug is gone.

Update: The bug is still there...after every reboot or wake up from standby, the system reverts its sound output to the internal speaker. The only workaround is to use the headphone input.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008

Update: The bug is still there...after every reboot or wake up from standby, the system reverts its sound output to the internal speaker. The only workaround is to use the headphone input.
Just keep the sound menu extra around. Option-click it to select output device, and set it back to what you want.

Although I too was annoyed to not see this in release notes.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc

pretty sure 10.6.5 fixes that. It fixes a similar problem on the latest mini with HDMI Audio reverting to internal speaker too.

mikeyrogers

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2004
Santa Monica, CA

Weird. Not getting this. I'm using the 27" LED Cinema Display's audio. Are you running a line out?

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I don't have this issue either, but then I have the Mac's internal Sound Card muted as I use a Focusrite Saffire to power my speakers.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
No sound issue here, either.
Using my T240HD's built-in speakers via line-out and it works just fine.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Wow I wonder what has a network without DHCP has to do with the boot picker that one thing could break the other! I can see how that could be annoying...
Basically the netboot/netinstall features require dhcp, what probably happened is that there was some bad logic in there that said if you fail to contact the dhcp server bail out of the bootpicker, not just the netinstall part of the bootpicker

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
This isn't a bug. I am pretty sure i read in the manuel that it does this on purpose, something to do with the different type of audio card that Apple is using in the Mac Pros. Even my original 2.0GHz Quad Mac Pro does this.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007

This used to happen on my 2009 Mac Pro.

A reinstall of OS X fixed it and/or moving my user folder back to the boot HD.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
This isn't a bug. I am pretty sure i read in the manuel that it does this on purpose, something to do with the different type of audio card that Apple is using in the Mac Pros. Even my original 2.0GHz Quad Mac Pro does this.
Of course this is a bug. My older first gen. Mac Pro didn't do that! On the Apple discussion forums there are many people complaining about it. Apart from that, this cannot be by design...

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Of course this is a bug. My older first gen. Mac Pro didn't do that! On the Apple discussion forums there are many people complaining about it. Apart from that, this cannot be by design...
I wasn't saying it was designed like that from the start. All I was saying was that yes it is a know issue with Mac Pro users, and even at Apple. I called AppleCare when I first got my MP. The Tech I talked to about it said exactly what I stated before it had to do with the various ports on the back. Its a flaw/bug/issue what ever you want to call it.

Its also in the Knowledge base... Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.