Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update With Fix for APFS Disk Utility Bug and Keychain Vulnerability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a supplemental update to macOS High Sierra 10.13, the first update to the macOS High Sierra operating system that was released to the public in late September. The macOS High Sierra 10.13 update comes just over one week after the release of macOS High Sierra.

The new version of macOS High Sierra 10.13 is a free update for all customers who have a compatible machine. The update can be downloaded using the Software Update function in the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

The supplemental macOS High Sierra 10.13 update addresses a software vulnerability that could expose the passwords of encrypted Apple File System volumes in plain text in Disk Utility.

Apple has released a support document alongside the Supplemental Update that walks users through the process of protecting their data if macOS High Sierra is showing a password instead of a password hint on an encrypted APFS volume.

Steps include installing the new update, creating an encrypted backup of data for the affected volume, erasing the drive, reformatting to APFS, then APFS (Encrypted), and finally restoring the data that was backed up.

A separate security support document says that the update also fixes a vulnerability that could let a hacker steal the usernames and passwords of accounts stored in Keychain using a malicious third-party app.

And finally, according to the release notes accompanying the update, it also improves installer robustness, fixes a cursor graphic bug in Adobe InDesign, and resolves an issue where messages couldn't be deleted from Yahoo accounts in Mail.

macOS High Sierra introduces a new more modern file system designed for flash storage (APFS), Metal 2, Safari improvements that protect user privacy and prevent autoplay videos, and improvements to several apps like Photos, Mail, Notes, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update With Fix for APFS Disk Utility Bug and Keychain Vulnerability

2. farewelwilliams, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

That was the fastest fix I've ever seen..!

How about other meaningful updates?

4. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

At least Apple has been responsive, as the APFS vulnerability was just revealed within the past day.

5. WatchTheThrone macrumors regular

WatchTheThrone

6. EdwinRojas macrumors newbie

EdwinRojas

But does it address the new file system issue with non-compatibility with Fusion Drives?

7. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

If they only just found about the Disk Utility bug then this was very fast, so well done to them on that.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Someone will complain about having to install updates. They'd rather have Microsoft which would wait to patch a security issue because it's not part of their update release schedule. There were a number complaining of recent iOS updates in this way.

9. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Probably not, at this quick fix. Can anyone verify?

10. EdwinRojas macrumors newbie

EdwinRojas

Thanks.

11. zhang96 macrumors member

12. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

kingjames1970

...fixes a cursor graphic bug in Adobe InDesign

HURRAH! That was v quick. Thought we'd wait a couple of months for that - kudos to Apple for the speed of this update.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

14. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

Excellent. The bug gets publicized this morning, it's fixed by midday (my time). Can't beat a deal like that. I don't care what the haters say.

15. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple knew about this bug before it was publicized and already had been working on a fix.

16. Dantoro macrumors newbie

I didn't even hear about that disk utility bug until this morning, and it's already been fixed? I guess Apple works fast (sometimes)

17. antonis1 macrumors newbie

18. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

19. melendezest Suspended

All I want to know is when this'll be safe (or worth it) to install on my spin-drive 2011/2012 Macs.

Any info early adopters can provide is appreciated.

20. madmin macrumors regular

Thanks antonis1. Good to see these fixes were dealt with pronto.

21. Wackery macrumors 6502a

22. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This bug also exists on Sierra, so I hope they release a security update for it as well.

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I'd rather not erase my volumes. Wouldn't it suffice to clear the stored password hint using the diskutil command line utility?

24. GustavPicora macrumors member

25. Brian Clifford macrumors regular

Brian Clifford

Sometimes, I do have to laugh.

I just returned to Mac Rumors Home Page after hoping to find some helpful comments in the thread on the Disc Utility/APFS vulnerability, and found Mac Rumors newest post announcing the issue had been resolved with a supplemental update.

Phew, that was ten minutes uncomfortable reading. :p