Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a second supplemental update for macOS Mojave 10.14.6, the current release version of macOS that's available to the public.

The macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update can be downloaded by going to the "Software Update" section of System Preferences and selecting the Update Now option. There are also updates available for macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra.

macbookairmojave-800x460.jpg

There's little detail on what's included in today's update, but Apple's release notes say that it "improves the security of macOS" and is recommended for all users. According to a support document, it addresses a vulnerability that could allow remote attacker to "cause unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution."

The next-generation version of macOS, macOS Catalina, is still in beta testing and is set to see a public release sometime in October, though Apple has not specified when.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
They've chosen to stop at .6 post-Snow Leopard (10.6.8) for some arbitrary reason (like a lot of their reasons).

My hunch is that these supplemental updates are also related to the transition to Catalina (similar to the latest rounds of Wunderlist updates preparing users for a smooth transition to M$ To Do v2).

Reactions: martyjmclean

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Every 10.14 “update” has broken my 2010 Mac Pro.

I suspect there's something wonky about your installation that is causing this.

I recommend backing up all your data (separately, not as part of a Time Machine backup), formatting the drive down to bare metal/silicon, and doing a fresh from-scratch installation, then restoring your data. This should clean up whatever is hosed on the system that is causing updates to break it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Why not just increment the version number to 10.14.7, 10.14.8? It does get confusing when there are multiple release builds out there with the same version number before the next version of MacOS is officially released.

They should if there were using SemVer (Semantic Versions) or some other scheme.

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
  2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards compatible manner, and
  3. PATCH version when you make backwards compatible bug fixes.

Additional labels for pre-release and build metadata are available as extensions to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.

Reactions: cosmos and 4487549

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
My hunch is that these supplemental updates are also related to the transition to Catalina (similar to the latest rounds of Wunderlist updates preparing users for a smooth transition to M$ To Do v2).

If so, why make it so close to the release date of Catalina? Most macOS users will not make it to the this Supplemental Update. They don't read Apple-geek blogs.

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
If so, why make it so close to the release date of Catalina? Most macOS users will not make it to the this Supplemental Update. They don't read Apple-geek blogs.
Some users may choose to wait before installing Catalina. One reason is that they are still running 32bit apps and are waiting for the vendor to complete their 64bit only release.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I want Catalina to work well so I'm glad they are waiting. The tricky part is that I use Fantastical 2, which uses Reminders, however the new Reminders needs to be upgraded, leaving it incompatible with the older version. So iOS13, iPadOS is good, but not OS X yet. And my goodness, I use a lot of reminders!!!

It's literally my Pensive (Harry Potter reference)

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
I want Catalina to work well so I'm glad they are waiting. The tricky part is that I use Fantastical 2, which uses Reminders, however the new Reminders needs to be upgraded, leaving it incompatible with the older version. So iOS13, iPadOS is good, but not OS X yet. And my goodness, I use a lot of reminders!!!

It's literally my Pensive (Harry Potter reference)

Yes. This x 1,000. I just updated to Mojave this month because I was waiting for the .6 release (and will do the same for Catalina until I find replacements for all of my 32-bit apps). I think there's a workaround to use the new Reminders on iOS along with the web version (but not the Mojave version).

Perhaps Flexibits will develop a workaround? They have a blog post about it here, so I would keep checking for updates: https://flexibits.com/blog/2019/09/ios-13-and-ipados-13-cardhop-and-fantastical-2/

I know Agenda also pulls from Reminders. I wish Apple would just release a standalone version of Reminders (like Safari) for this release cycle but then people like me would have less of a reason to upgrade to Catalina (looks like Things 2 and Wunderlist for another year).

I don't recall another release cycle so mixed up across their entire echo system. I can't wait for them to finish pushing out all of their subscription services, bank cards, and whatnot... so they can get back in sync again.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Why not just increment the version number to 10.14.7, 10.14.8? It does get confusing when there are multiple release builds out there with the same version number before the next version of MacOS is officially released.

Because the current management thinks that having high release numbers reflects poorly on the brand.

Again it is fashion over substance. It is really amazing how many odd things that Apple does can be explained by this simple thought. Imagine if they were required to report open bugs with every marketing release. Holy cow, we probably get a few fixed.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Yes. This x 1,000. I just updated to Mojave this month because I was waiting for the .6 release (and will do the same for Catalina until I find replacements for all of my 32-bit apps).

I've done this for the last 4 major releases - move up to the final release of the previous version (in this case Mojave) when the new version (Catalina) is first released. Do I miss out on spanking new features? Yes, but it's much less stress inducing to update to a (for me) new major release and have all your software and hardware (that have had a year to be updated) work with no issues. So as of this message, I am still on High Sierra but getting ready to make the jump.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.