Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Monterey 12.5.1, a minor update to the macOS Monterey operating system that first launched in October 2021. macOS Monterey 12.5.1 comes a month after the launch of macOS Monterey 12.5.

macOS-Monterey-2.jpg

The ‌‌‌‌‌‌macOS Monterey‌‌‌ 12.5.1 update can be downloaded on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Preferences.

According to Apple's release notes, macOS Monterey 12.5.1 improves the security of macOS and is recommended for all users. The update addresses kernel and WebKit vulnerabilities that could lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple says that it is aware that these vulnerabilities may have been actively explited in the wild, so it is important to update right away.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Monterey 12.5.1 With Security Updates

Last edited:

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Are the release notes available somewhere? Or is it really just "improves the security of macOS"?
Looks like they were added now :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
This update just killed my new M1 iMac.. stuck in a reboot loop, one time it went into recovery mode and was not able to recover..
Now figuring out how to revive my $2500 paperweight..
Let us know if you managed to fix it and how you did it. Does a Revive DFU just work or no?

I'm not gonna lie. Everytime an update comes it always bricks some Macs. And it's not even obvious what causes it. Corrupted update? Probably not since they must've built an integrity check before installing the updates right? It feels like everytime there's an update I'm just having anxiety when it's updating when i shouldn't have that feeling at all. I actually don't understand how these updates could brick Macs if they are integrity checked and everything. Just seems unsafe to me if I'm being honest

Jerry Fritschle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2004
They so need to move to incremental updates...2 GB for a .1 release?
This "is" an incremental update. However, with the Sealed System Volume introduced with Big Sur, there is substantial minimum overhead in changing the system. Now, I am also testing Ventura, and I'm seeing some (subjective) signs that they're getting better at this. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.