Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I don’t understand why people who bought a laptop in May are upset. EVERYONE knew to wait until at least June 8th for the WWDC, if not for the rumored spec update, then for the back-to-school promotion (just like last year).

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I'm not buying this exchange rate crap. White MacBook '09 released in January 09 for $999 US.

New Zealand price in Jan 09: $1849
New Zealand price now: $1999

Yep that's a 7.5% price rise overnight, on top of the big price rise that we had when the unibodies came out. It's too much.

In NZ, Apple is really beginning to price themselves out of the market. I wish they wouldn't, because my 3.5 year old iBook needs replacing.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Yep that's a 7.5% price rise overnight, on top of the big price rise that we had when the unibodies came out. It's too much.

In NZ, Apple is really beginning to price themselves out of the market. I wish they wouldn't, because my 3.5 year old iBook needs replacing.

I guess all that we few who aren't happy about Apples pricing out side of the US is vote with our wallets and...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

P.S.

I know I'm getting older when I seem to send at least one email complaint to some company or another each week, but meh, it's quite satisfying :D

sfroom

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
It was £729 yesterday and it's £749 today. As the exchange rate only dropped by 1 cent yesterday, did I miss some overnight VAT rate increase?

I believe the correct calculation would compare the exchange rate on the date of this release with the exchange rate on the date of the previous release, when the price of the product was determined. The poster also indicated that at current exchange rates, excluding VAT, UK customers are paying $21 US more than American customers.

If it makes you feel any better, we're being overcharged by $34.10 US before tax here in Canada.

Baya87

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2008
My student ID doesn't have an expiration date...

I heard that they email your school to verify that you are enrolled there. I wouldn't think that they were really efficient with that though. Also, she ordered it from the apple website so i dunno how that would work...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I heard that they email your school to verify that you are enrolled there. I wouldn't think that they were really efficient with that though. Also, she ordered it from the apple website so i dunno how that would work...
Well my university e-mail was working until earlier this month. They do ask for your e-mail in store.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I don’t understand why people who bought a laptop in May are upset. EVERYONE knew to wait until at least June 8th for the WWDC, if not for the rumored spec update, then for the back-to-school promotion (just like last year).

Apparently everyone didn't know, but with a little checking on MacRumors they should have. There were I-don't-know-how-many threads of "should I buy now or wait," and every one had a bunch of replies advising to wait for the back to school promotion.

Well my university e-mail was working until earlier this month. They do ask for your e-mail in store.

I just had to show an ID. They ask for email but that's only to email the receipt (I use my mac.com address for that).

mossbreaker

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009

Not all of us are as dumb as you make us out to be - I had to buy mine three weeks before the special started because I had summer school at a school that REQUIRES you to have a computer, and my old computer was completely destroyed and unusable (about 10 keys on the pad were usable, etc). Also, I had remembered in the past that the specials started in June, and I couldn't reconcile being without a computer at all for a month, especially when it was mandatory for school.

Alan Menhennet

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Just a quick question before I go out and buy this.
Any chance Snow Leopard will be out at WWDC? If it is I will wait until.

How much would it cost to upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard if I didnt wait?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
For the Kiwis out there...

I just noticed that JB Hifi in Auckland (NZ) is selling the previous spec (2.0GHz) macbook for $1663 this weekend. Not bad at all.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
For the Kiwis out there...

I just noticed that JB Hifi in Auckland (NZ) is selling the previous spec (2.0GHz) macbook for $1663 this weekend. Not bad at all.

Apple has price protection on the MB881 model (in Aus it's going for $1449 - $200 cheaper) so that price should be available from all resellers still stocking the old model.

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I *KNEW* there was a reason that MicroCenter had a $200 rebate on the 2ghz MacBook, now I know why...

Hah! Yeah, me too! Thing is that when I got the Whitebook that I'm typing this on, at MC last month, I figured the rebate was because the plastic models were finally being discontinued -- never occurred to me that they'd (A) be updated again and that (B) it would happen so soon. I guess that's how it goes with computers (save for the previous Mini, of course). The ~5% faster processor and speedier RAM *would* certainly be nice, but what I REALLY wouldn't mind is the extra 40GB of storage!

It's a strange thing: I know, rationally, that 120GB is still an awful lot of space for most people doing most things; yet there's the part of me that both chuckles and weeps at the fact that there is currently an iPod with more storage space... :)

A.

gikku

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
pulled the trigger. :apple:
I hit the "check out now" button. woo hoo. :cool:

did I need it? not really, PowerBook G4 still rocks.
feeling a bit naughty really, I was waiting for Snow Leopard and I shot off a little early. :rolleyes:

:)

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I was convinced that Apple would quietly discontinue this model when the alums came out. It's been upgraded twice since then and is a nice alternative at $999. I personally like the firewire port. May it live on!

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have a early 2009 white Macbook (with NVdia gpu) that I replaced the 667 mhz ram with 4 gigs of 800 mhz ram. It runs at 800 mhz.

That upgrade is really hardly an upgrade, they just ran out of 667 ram. I replaced the 5000rpm 120 gig HD with a 320GIG 7200 HD too.. It really runs fast.

The ram upgrade and the HD upgrade took all of three minutes after watching the demo video at OWC.

Does it really and truly run at 800mhz, then? That's what I was wondering about: if Apple changed the RAM itself, or the memory subsystems. Does that mean they only used 667mhz RAM in the first place for cost savings (and perhaps more of a performance differential versus the Unibody models)?

So, if I were to put 800mhz modules in this January 2009 Whitebook, things should sail along at 800mhz? Is there a list of particular brands that are best stuck with?

How about even faster RAM... Is that possible?

Anyway, I was mostly annoyed at the stealth update due to the extra storage I missed out on; however, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't at least want, if not need, the faster processor and RAM...

A.

ChefJayPeek

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Suburban Texas
I somewhat forgot about the HD bump! Probably because I put in a 320 gig that I had in my CoreDuo Blackbook that died due to a liquid spill. The HD seems to have made it through just fine, and if it dies, it is under Seagate warranty for 2.5 more years anyways as I got it in November when the original 80 gig in the Blackbook died one day. The 120 is now living in an external case as a redundant backup to my Time Machine just for my Lightroom stuff as I lost about 200 pictures when the Blackbook drive died :(

Chef Jay
http://chefjaypeek.net

I REALLY wouldn't mind is the extra 40GB of storage!

It's a strange thing: I know, rationally, that 120GB is still an awful lot of space for most people doing most things; yet there's the part of me that both chuckles and weeps at the fact that there is currently an iPod with more storage space... :)

A.

bazza88

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Does anyone think the White Macbook will receive a price drop at all?

The upgrades to it are a nice addition but I was just wondering when they restructure the macbook line up, whether a price drop would be in order.

If so, when do you estimate this will happen?

I am looking to purchase one via the back to school promo but I reckon a price drop will be on the horizon soon.

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
The white macbook is an amazing deal now!! Awesome updates, though I'm still hoping Apple will update the rest of their laptops sooner rather than later.

spronkey

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Interestingly, despite the price increase down here, if I'm not mistaken the white MacBook will now be faster than its solid aluminium stablemate.

That really does put Apple in an akward position - it's the 'black tax' all over again, only this time you don't get any added performance or specs incentive, just a much more solid machine and more expensive ram and display adaptor upgrades!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Interestingly, despite the price increase down here, if I'm not mistaken the white MacBook will now be faster than its solid aluminium stablemate.

That really does put Apple in an akward position - it's the 'black tax' all over again, only this time you don't get any added performance or specs incentive, just a much more solid machine and more expensive ram and display adaptor upgrades!

And the glass trackpad, which I think is worth the money. Although I agree with you that the Al Macbook needs a spec bump now.

conradzoo

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Nice update, and good hopes of a soon to be update for the UMB's.

Weird thing is the new white macbook has cheaper options to upgrade it's harddrives. Updating the current UMBs are 50% more expensive

New white Macbook:
160GB to 250GB: add $50
160GB to 360GB: add $100

Unibody macbook:
160GB to 250GB: add $75
160GB to 360GB: add $150

Alan Menhennet

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I bought one of these on Monday (In Australian time that was 2 days ago)

I think its great, though the only problem is a lack of applications on my part since this is my first ever Mac, so for the time being i've been bootcamping xp... seems like a waste of my Macbook but I already love Leopard, its just so awesome.

Great little laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.