Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases MobileMe Control Panel 1.3 For Windows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple today released MobileMe Control Panel 1.3 (for Windows).
The MobileMe Control Panel 1.3 update delivers faster syncing of contacts and calendars between MobileMe and Microsoft Outlook.

With this update, contacts and calendars automatically sync whenever a change is made in Outlook, and likewise when a change is made on the web or from another device. A new tray icon also indicates whenever an automatic sync is in progress.
The update weighs in at 2.2 MB and requires Windows XP Home or Professional SP2 or Vista SP1 or later, iTunes 8.0.2 or later, and a MobileMe account. Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 is also required for calendar syncing. MobileMe Control Panel for Windows was last updated on October 3rd, 2008.

Article Link: Apple Releases MobileMe Control Panel 1.3 For Windows

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
This absolutely refuses to install on Windows 7 no matter what kind of permissions or compatibility I set, the old version worked just fine, it's rather annoying, it trying to install it, even creating folders it requires to install for it myself, it just locks up explorer and I have to force it to quit, and even then I have to wait till the program responds in order for it to disappear.

This includes trying to install it via the Apple Updater AND downloading it myself AND using the Apple Updater as 'Download Only' and running it myself.

Yeah... Super annoying.

Comment

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
This absolutely refuses to install on Windows 7 no matter what kind of permissions or compatibility I set, the old version worked just fine, it's rather annoying, it trying to install it, even creating folders it requires to install for it myself, it just locks up explorer and I have to force it to quit, and even then I have to wait till the program responds in order for it to disappear.

This includes trying to install it via the Apple Updater AND downloading it myself AND using the Apple Updater as 'Download Only' and running it myself.

Yeah... Super annoying.

Windows 7 is Beta, so expect problems. Anyways, there is a problem with some .msi based installer packages and Windows 7. You can find a relatively simple solution here:

http://deb-tech.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!49551AC4A11853DE!1497.entry

Comment

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Windows 7 is Beta, so expect problems. Anyways, there is a problem with some .msi based installer packages and Windows 7. You can find a relatively simple solution here:

http://deb-tech.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!49551AC4A11853DE!1497.entry

Unfortunately that has no fixed the problem and I had actually already used that command on an earlier installer related issue.

In fact, Windows 7's crash detection gave me that as a solution when this happened previously, unfortunately since that fix is already in place... and I am still having issues with the MobileMe installer, I can only assume that this is not the problem and is in fact something else.

This is the second issue I've had with Windows 7, everything else is working beautifully for me, even for having come from Vista x64 with very recent hardware and all working drivers etc..

All the same things work just as well in Windows 7 with the added addition of having an amazingly good task bar and some really useful new window management/movement keyboard shortcuts, and of course the lower memory footprint (coming from someone with 8GB of DDR2-800 who was a big advocate of unused RAM being *wasted* RAM, I paid for it, the system should use it), and the multi-threaded start-up making much better use of my Quad... You can really tell it was made with hardware like mine in mind.

Of course this isn't about Windows 7, it's about the fact that Apple's MobileMe 1.3 Updater refuses to install on a system where I have no outstanding issues (seeing as the first installer issue was fixed by the same advice as the link provided)... I have to throw it to Apple on this one... I've gone as far as restarting and disabling any start-up apps to make sure it wasn't something blocking it access, and even with Windows 7's nifty new CTRL+Shift+Click = Full-Admin-Rights to what you clicked, it's still a no go...

Thank you for trying and for giving the advice, if it was the issue linked it would have worked and did actually help me in a previous situation, but this is not the same issue and does not seem will be resolved as easily.

Comment

rlvdijk

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
Proxy support ?

Oh please, Apple: why don't you add proxy support !?!?!?! :confused:

Comment

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Thank you for trying and for giving the advice, if it was the issue linked it would have worked and did actually help me in a previous situation, but this is not the same issue and does not seem will be resolved as easily.

I'm in the same boat as you: Windows 7 x64 , 8 gigs, quad, etc... a few problems here and there; the above installer fix worked for me for some other programs and one hard crash that was due to me doing VOIP, playing WoW, burning a CD and watching movies at the same time. I place blame on the burner program... but this sounds like Apple's not doing something right with their installer.

Comment

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
I just installed it perfectly fine in Windows 7 (Beta 7000 x64).

If it's any help, the installer's first window showed version number 2.3.0.23, maybe Apple quietly updated the installer? Other than that, no idea why it would work for me but not you two.

Comment

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
I just installed it perfectly fine in Windows 7 (Beta 7000 x64).

If it's any help, the installer's first window showed version number 2.3.0.23, maybe Apple quietly updated the installer? Other than that, no idea why it would work for me but not you two.

I have no idea either, and I did notice the version number, I even went through and created the Installer Cache folders it would not make which included using that version number in the name.

What are your systems specs?

Comment

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Can anybody tell my where to find what release of MobileMe Preferences I am currently running? Most Windows Application show this under help "About ....".

Comment

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Can anybody tell my where to find what release of MobileMe Preferences I am currently running? Most Windows Application show this under help "About ....".

If you have previously installed it via Apple Software Update, you can start that application, click "cancel" immediately to abort the check for updates, then go to Edit -> Preferences -> Installed Updates. That will list everything that has been installed along with version numbers. This is using XP; I have no idea if it works the same under Vista/Win7.

Comment

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Does anyone know if this new client will allow you to sync outlook that is attached to an Exchange server? The version before would not allow it.

Thanks.

Comment

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Unfortunately that has no fixed the problem and I had actually already used that command on an earlier installer related issue.

In fact, Windows 7's crash detection gave me that as a solution when this happened previously, unfortunately since that fix is already in place... and I am still having issues with the MobileMe installer, I can only assume that this is not the problem and is in fact something else.

This is the second issue I've had with Windows 7, everything else is working beautifully for me, even for having come from Vista x64 with very recent hardware and all working drivers etc..

All the same things work just as well in Windows 7 with the added addition of having an amazingly good task bar and some really useful new window management/movement keyboard shortcuts, and of course the lower memory footprint (coming from someone with 8GB of DDR2-800 who was a big advocate of unused RAM being *wasted* RAM, I paid for it, the system should use it), and the multi-threaded start-up making much better use of my Quad... You can really tell it was made with hardware like mine in mind.

Of course this isn't about Windows 7, it's about the fact that Apple's MobileMe 1.3 Updater refuses to install on a system where I have no outstanding issues (seeing as the first installer issue was fixed by the same advice as the link provided)... I have to throw it to Apple on this one... I've gone as far as restarting and disabling any start-up apps to make sure it wasn't something blocking it access, and even with Windows 7's nifty new CTRL+Shift+Click = Full-Admin-Rights to what you clicked, it's still a no go...

Let me get this straight you want apple to support a beta version of an os??? Give me a freaking break. Good god.

Comment

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Let me get this straight you want apple to support a beta version of an os??? Give me a freaking break. Good god.

Hmm, it's a wonder this installed perfectly fine under 10A261 wow... imagine that, Apple supporting a beta version of an OS, wow.

Considering this is the only piece of software to give me trouble, I'd say Apple did something pretty non-standard to cause this, which wouldn't be good practice and shouldn't be done, but what do I really know.

Also, the 'beta os support? lawl' argument is the same one that people used when Vista was new and then it got a bad wrap for it's poor hardware support out of the gate, and of course now that all those drivers are out and working and Windows 7 uses the same driver backend... people love Windows 7? Coincidence? Hmm.

And why would you need a break for something I'm complaining about Apple doing? You take offense to Apple's poor support of something they're trying to sell to Windows users as well? That's amazing, selective offense, if Apple does it wrong, everyone tells the person who's complaining that they're wrong, but if Microsoft does it wrong they complain that Microsoft is in the wrong...

Not to mention that the previous MobileMe CP installer worked just fine... and still does... in Windows 7.

The point of Beta testing is to get your software working before the release happens, so that the transition is seamless to end users, something that Apple, who has paying windows customers for the MobileMe service, would want to ensure...

Notice my post is dripping with sarcasm, where as yours was borderline attack... but ok.

Comment

scurr

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
Boo to the system requirements

Now if we could only get a version that didn't need iTunes I could use it at work! Mobile me is very good, I like being able to add people to my on-line address book and it appear on my iPhone and home PC, but would love it if I could sync my calendar from work :(

Booo :rolleyes:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.