MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

125222-gallery-app-1.jpg
125222-gallery-app-2.jpg

Apple released a new app today that allows MobileMe subscribers to view their uploaded photo galleries. The app also allows MobileMe users to share links to their galleries with others via email and view the galleries of other MobileMe members.

Features

— View your entire gallery including password protected and hidden albums
— Flick through photos and pinch to zoom in for more detail
— Rotate iPhone to see photos in landscape
— View your friends’ gallery photos and movies
— Access previously viewed photos when offline
— Easily share a link to an album from iPhone

125222-gallery-app-3.jpg

The app is free [App Store link] and requires an active MobileMe subscription to use.

Article Link: Apple Releases MobileMe Gallery App

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I don't use MobileMe, but I like the look of this app. I'd really like a similar mobile iPhoto app.

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I'm copy/pasting my mile long password from 1Password and the app keeps saying "The member name or password you entered is incorrect" Anyone else getting this?

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice app. Were the web galleries not viewable from Safari before?

The galleries were viewable in Safari on the iPhone, but that's it. you couldn't send a link to anyone from there or anything else.
I'll be checking this app out. it may be easier to send out invites to view my galleries via this app then within the actual MobileMe site :eek::)

edited to add: yeah the icon is terrible. i don't usually pay attention to stuff like that, but this looks really bad. Certainly no visual reminder that this is my MobileMe Gallery :confused:

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I'm copy/pasting my mile long password from 1Password and the app keeps saying "The member name or password you entered is incorrect" Anyone else getting this?

Same here. Although, I'm not cutting or pasting, and just trying to enter my information, and I get the same error message as you do. Something is wrong.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Why?

Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Same here. Although, I'm not cutting or pasting, and just trying to enter my information, and I get the same error message as you do. Something is wrong.

I'm not using one password or anything like that. Entered my account name and password in and it's working fine for me.

I like the black UI :) and i like the scrolling of all of your pics at the top of the app. I think I will put this app to good use :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Why don’t they just build this into the photos app? Or at least just offer a MobileMe app (which includes the iDisk and Gallery app)?

I begrudgingly renew MobileMe every year for Mac-to-Mac contact/calendar/bookmark syncing and my .Mac e-mail address, which I’ve had since the first day iTools was announced. :(

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Why a separate app for this? Why wasn't this functionality built into the MobileMe app, since anyone using it would need access to MobileMe too? This just seems redundant. It was needed, obviously, but to need two apps to properly take advantage of MobileMe is pretty annoying.

I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have to agree with that. Seems like just 1 MobileMe app would suffice OR... just let us access the actual site from our iPhones via MobileSafari.

Exactly. What was that new javascript architecture Gruber was talking about that makes a Web site look and work just like an actual app? PastryKit?

They should just do a PastryKit version of Me.com.

While they’re at it, I would like to access my MobileMe-linked AirDisk that’s connected to my AirPort Base Station via http://www.me.com.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

I agree too.

Surley it could be written in to the iphone OS for those (poor fools like me,) who use MobileMe to have the native features on the phone directly fuction with MM.

... And the icon. What the??? On MobileMe site they use the Photos App (sunflower) icon, but we know have a silly ship?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I begrudgingly renew MobileMe every year for Mac-to-Mac contact/calendar/bookmark syncing and my .Mac e-mail address, which I’ve had since the first day iTools was announced. :(

As do I. I think Apple has big plans for MM which will include the mythical tablet, or what I call the iPod slate.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Nice app and it is much better than the web interface (you can even configure mobile safari to automatically open the app). Still, I also wonder why they just didn't update the default photo app to have this functionality. It seems a tad redundant (kind of like a separate app for gmail). However, I'm happy that Apple doesn't seem to be completely ignoring MobileMe (dotmac stagnated fairly quickly after the free to pay service transition even though they promised regular service updates).

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It's a great start but I hope they add more functionality to it. For example, why I can't I take a picture from within the app and upload it right there? (I realize you can do it in the Camera app, and then upload it there but still.) Also, hopefully they add the ability to create/edit albums too.

There's also a bug (hopefully not a feature) where viewing portrait videos taken on an iPhone can only be viewed in landscape (you can't rotate them).

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
As do I. I think Apple has big plans for MM which will include the mythical tablet, or what I call the iPod slate.

Haha. Yeah, Sure. :D

Haven’t we been hoping for that since .Mac was launched? We’re suckers, rdowns, plain and simple. :)

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
It should be bundled with idisk or in photo app in the iphone... But seriously can someone can explain what's the difference between idisk and mobile me gallery? And what's better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.