Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
I’m sure that’s coming down the pipe. It really is the next obvious priority. HomePod has been getting progressively better over point upgrades and server side Siri updates but the next full update that’ll be announced at WWDC will likely address remaining concerns. I think that multi user and voice ID are at the top of the list.

You could be right, and I hope that your are, but unless your work for Apple this is just a guess.

In a house with multiple iOS users Siri on the HomePod has to be turned off and that really ruins the experience.

Wildes-n-Out

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Agreed....this is why Alexa even got its foot in my doorway....Apples SLOW SLOW SLOW progress on SIRI and Homepod
You should be thankful that Siri isn't as well rounded as the other digital assistants. What that means is everything you say to Siri isn't stored and analyzed and sold by Apple like it is with all other companies. Apple has always been big on privacy. Therefor Siri and other things must suffer. the new chipsets being made will offset this with machine learning instead. there will come a time where you will see siri take off.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks but that’s not the issue I’m referring to. Long gripe short, the speaker was set up on my phone so my wife (or anyone else for that matter) can’t use “hey Siri” to add items to lists on her phone if she’s within earshot of the speaker. The speaker always picks up the “hey Siri” call but can’t help because it doesn’t recognize her lists. She has to press a physical button on her phone to activate Siri. This happens with personal requests on or off. Only way around it is to turn off “hey Siri” on the speaker.

internetperson

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2019
Thanks but that’s not the issue I’m referring to. Long gripe short, the speaker was set up on my phone so my wife (or anyone else for that matter) can’t use “hey Siri” to add items to lists on her phone if she’s within earshot of the speaker. The speaker always picks up the “hey Siri” call but can’t help because it doesn’t recognize her lists. She has to press a physical button on her phone to activate Siri. This happens with personal requests on or off. Only way around it is to turn off “hey Siri” on the speaker.

We have a similar setup; our HomePod is set up with my phone, but we have a different workaround for lists. We use Reminders for lists, and any iCloud lists that I have shared with her, either of us can say e.g. "Hey Siri, add milk to Groceries." Groceries is in my Reminders, so HomePod can add to it, and since Groceries is shared with her, it's updated on her phone as well. Of course, that only works if neither of you mind that you'd see her list on your phone -- and it doesn't resolve the problem for other uses of Hey Siri. I don't know if it'd work for a list that she's shared with you vs. you to her -- but you could give it a shot.

I agree though -- HomePod should work better for multiple users.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
We have a similar setup; our HomePod is set up with my phone, but we have a different workaround for lists. We use Reminders for lists, and any iCloud lists that I have shared with her, either of us can say e.g. "Hey Siri, add milk to Groceries."
Unfortunately that doesn’t solve the problem. Me and my wife have the same setup, but when the ‘master’ iPhone is not at home it isn’t possible to add stuff to Reminders via the HomePod. This was driving my wife crazy until Siri helpfully told her why she couldn’t add the reminder. Naturally it had always worked perfectly when I tried to recreate the problem...

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
We have a similar setup; our HomePod is set up with my phone, but we have a different workaround for lists. We use Reminders for lists, and any iCloud lists that I have shared with her, either of us can say e.g. "Hey Siri, add milk to Groceries." Groceries is in my Reminders, so HomePod can add to it, and since Groceries is shared with her, it's updated on her phone as well. Of course, that only works if neither of you mind that you'd see her list on your phone -- and it doesn't resolve the problem for other uses of Hey Siri. I don't know if it'd work for a list that she's shared with you vs. you to her -- but you could give it a shot.

I agree though -- HomePod should work better for multiple users.

Same as the poster above this one. Doesn’t work when my iPhone isn’t on the same network.

Really crappy implementation by Apple here!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Most people aren't 100% in the garden. What's ironic about your social circle using Apple device?

Imo, the HP should have had BT and additional I/O. It would have made a good sounding speaker into a well rounded product with mass appeal. Mass appeal which would have only served the expressed goal of increasing Services revenue. A missed opportunity imo.
The device is only for people 100% in the Apple ecosystem. You can’t set it up without an iOS device. Even if you use Apple Music on android you can’t use the HomePod.

If you have a mixed ecosystem you are better off getting an echo, Sonos or google home.
[doublepost=1554013739][/doublepost]
Anyone know if this functionality is available on the homepod as of this release? I have it connected to my AppleTV and would love this functionality!

"Update your Apple TV to tvOS 12.2, and your iOS device(s) to iOS 12.2, and you’ll be able to control what’s on your Apple TV with a lot more granularity. As MacRumors notes:

“tvOS 12.2, when paired with iOS 12.2, is designed to allow users to ask Siri to play specific media on an Apple TV from an iOS device. You can, for example, ask Siri to play Modern Family on the TV in the living room, or Pitch Perfect on the TV in the bedroom. This feature is available for music, TV shows, and movies.”"
It doesn’t work on the HomePod yet. Hopefully in a future update.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The device is only for people 100% in the Apple ecosystem. You can’t set it up without an iOS device. Even if you use Apple Music on android you can’t use the HomePod.

If you have a mixed ecosystem you are better off getting an echo, Sonos or google home.
Well that's 100% wrong. Not even sure how you logic'd that one. It only requires an iOS device to set up. Nothing about that requirement implies someone has to 100% Apple. One could have an iPhone, a Fire Tablet, a Chromebook, a gaming PC, and still use a HomePod. Any combination of devices, as long as one is iOS, would work in that example.

Sure most people would be better off getting something other than a HomePod, but that was never a point that needed to be made. The point was the HomePod would have been a better seller with BT and additional I/O. It would have had a broader appeal. It would have benefited Apple's Services goals in a more meaningful way.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I have a problem everytime i ask it to change a light etc it says theres a problem but it does the job what should I do

bfutrell

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2018
That’s the thing. Most of the people who criticize HomePod, don’t own one. They just repeat the criticisms they hear from other people and around and around it goes.

Not true! I own (2) and wish they did way more. Audio is great, Siri not so much.

Is frustrating how Siri is different on each device. Siri on HomePod can’t do what Siri on iPhone can. I’m referring to off the cuff questions.

Siri shortcuts are useful, but her flexibility with natural requests is poor.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well that's 100% wrong. Not even sure how you logic'd that one. It only requires an iOS device to set up. Nothing about that requirement implies someone has to 100% Apple. One could have an iPhone, a Fire Tablet, a Chromebook, a gaming PC, and still use a HomePod. Any combination of devices, as long as one is iOS, would work in that example.

Sure most people would be better off getting something other than a HomePod, but that was never a point that needed to be made. The point was the HomePod would have been a better seller with BT and additional I/O. It would have had a broader appeal. It would have benefited Apple's Services goals in a more meaningful way.
What I mean is that in its present state it only makes sense for someone who is 100% in the Apple ecosystem. If you aren’t there isn’t much point in buying it as you would be better served by another product.
[doublepost=1554035593][/doublepost]
Not true! I own (2) and wish they did way more. Audio is great, Siri not so much.

Is frustrating how Siri is different on each device. Siri on HomePod can’t do what Siri on iPhone can. I’m referring to off the cuff questions.

Siri shortcuts are useful, but her flexibility with natural requests is poor.
A lot of the Siri shortcuts I’ve set up simply don’t work with the HomePod or they work for a while and then I have to reset them up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.