Apple Releases New 13.3.1 Software for HomePod

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS and iPadOS 13.3.1, Apple has released new 13.3.1 software for the HomePod, introducing some minor bug fixes and performance improvements.

Today's update brings support for Indian English Siri voices and Apple says it also includes "general improvements for stability and quality."

The new ???HomePod??? software will be installed automatically on the ???HomePod???, but you can also manually update and check your software version by following the instructions in our HomePod software how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases New 13.3.1 Software for HomePod

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sweet! Love that I can see it automatically updating remotely while on WiFi at work.

after today bye by Sonos!
PS Apple please expand the HomePod product line, especially with a connection to analog music sources like Turntables and cassette decks please!!?
- - Post merged: - -

Waiting for the Brave to confirm this doesn't brick the ipod.
I cannot afford to have it bricked since I moved temporarily to Hungary and Apple support here is abysmal.
ipod?

Attachments

Reactions: Kabeyun

kissmo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Sweet! Love that I can see it automatically updating remotely while on WiFi at work.

PS Apple please expand the HomePod product line, especially with a connection to analog music sources like Turntables and cassette decks please!!?

ipod?
Homepod LOL sorry :)

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
Waiting for the Brave to confirm this doesn't brick the homepod.
I cannot afford to have it bricked since I moved temporarily to Hungary and Apple support here is abysmal.
First comment and I laughed because that was my fist question as well!

Reactions: kissmo

DocMultimedia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Every update seems to make my HomePod pair buggier and buggier. Sometimes it so frustrating that I start screaming at Siri. But when they work smoothly they sound great.

Hey Siri...what is the Apple stock price. "Hmm...I can't seem to find that, give me a moment...hmm...I'm still looking...hmmm....would you like me to play a song from ChuChuTV?...." And then it begins. /s (somewhat)

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every update seems to make my HomePod pair buggier and buggier. Sometimes it so frustrating that I start screaming at Siri. But when they work smoothly they sound great.

Hey Siri...what is the Apple stock price. "Hmm...I can't seem to find that, give me a moment...hmm...I'm still looking...hmmm....would you like me to play a song from ChuChuTV?...." And then it begins. /s (somewhat)

I kinda picture that dude from Dune movie screaming “break!”When you mentioned screaming at Siri

• Haha
Reactions: DocMultimedia

christian.terra

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
anyone know how to force the update? no matter what it shows 13.3 as latest, but i get the notification saying that updates are available. same happened to me with 13.3. took weeks to update.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
This better fix stereo pairing + connecting to the Apple TV.

At this point, I've basically paid $700 for a pair of lumps that have really only worked at various points on iOS 12.
I'm curious, what issues are you having? I am using a stereo pair for my living room TV... I've had a few small bugs, but it has worked fairly well overall.

Reactions: ICBM and Lancetx

kissmo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I have extremely slow pairing with aTV and in general it works super fast first day after an update then slows down for some reason.... Cannot explain why and it's not placebo.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm curious, what issues are you having? I am using a stereo pair for my living room TV... I've had a few small bugs, but it has worked fairly well overall.
I can create a stereo pair, but if I set it as my output source:
1. HDMI doesn't deselect. You have to go and manually deselect it.
2. The video is often out of sync or will freeze.
3. If the Apple TV restarts or goes to sleep, the volume control HUD will still be displayed, but audio will be routed to HDMI and will not respond to the remote. I then have to go and deselect the HomePods and reselect HDMI.
4. The WWE Network app completely refuses to even acknowledge that HomePods even exist. If I'm in the temporary "working condition" as described in #1, audio still goes to HDMI.

Reactions: ninjadex

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018

beats google lately though. Can't get that crap to do anything lately. Maybe since google stopped listening with people, we see how their software actually isn't that great

Reactions: Agent2015

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I just wish they would update it to allow adjustments to the bass. It’s too bass-y for my apartment and I begrudgingly had to return it. But I’ll totally re-buy it as soon as the sound becomes customize-able!
That’s interesting because there was an early update that reduced the bass. I preferred that sound signature.

Totally agree, we need the ability to adjust sound settings.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
I hope this fixes multi user support. My fiancé has not been recognized even tho she has it set
Mine works great, it is so awesome, if my daughters asked it a question it even says their name and nickname from their iPhones. weird!

cgriffis753

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2010
Michigan
Mine works great, it is so awesome, if my daughters asked it a question it even says their name and nickname from their iPhones. weird!
Yea. It worked great initially for me too. Then it stopped working. It detects my voice but does not recognize her on either of our HomePods. I've tried removing and reading them too. If this up date doesn't have to fix it guess im calling apple lol

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I can create a stereo pair, but if I set it as my output source:
1. HDMI doesn't deselect. You have to go and manually deselect it.
2. The video is often out of sync or will freeze.
3. If the Apple TV restarts or goes to sleep, the volume control HUD will still be displayed, but audio will be routed to HDMI and will not respond to the remote. I then have to go and deselect the HomePods and reselect HDMI.
4. The WWE Network app completely refuses to even acknowledge that HomePods even exist. If I'm in the temporary "working condition" as described in #1, audio still goes to HDMI.
Thanks! I don't see too many discussions online from people with this setup.

1. I also have this issue when initially setting up, but it seems to remember my choice indefinitely unless I stream another device to the HPs. In my case, that's not very often.
2. I don't get freezes, and I fixed syncing issues with the audio sync feature. I'm assuming you know about this, as well as how to get it working when matching frame rate or dynamic range is turned on?
3. Never had this one, interesting.
4. Sounds like an app-specific issue, no? Although, I have system sounds (boops and clicks and stuff) go through HDMI even when HPs are otherwise working properly as the output device and HDMI is deselected. I never knew if this was a bug or intended, but I kinda like it because I can control that volume separately.
5. I have a weird bug where it sounds like volume changes are not incremented simultaneously/evenly between L/R, but rather in what seems like alternating fashion. This bug goes away after restart but comes back on and off randomly after a while. It's not too bothersome, but definitely noticeable.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
This better fix stereo pairing + connecting to the Apple TV.

At this point, I've basically paid $700 for a pair of lumps that have really only worked at various points on iOS 12.
Really? Mine work great. I use them in stereo all the time. The only way they don't work is from Spotify on Mac, because Spotify is too cheap to hire good programmers to write their app. Apple Music works great, AppleTV pairing works great.

AppleHealth

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2019
The idea of the Homepod is great but it’s an absolute mess. I have 2 set up for music in the same room and for Audio for the Apple TV.

Constantly the audio just adjusts down (like, every 15 minutes). It constantly drops audio switching between Apps.

Siri is genuinely awful on HomePod, it forgets I have lights constantly or just says ‘just a sec’ for 10 minutes.

Quality of the product is good but the software is honestly terrible. I can’t recommend them to anyone based on that.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
I have extremely slow pairing with aTV and in general it works super fast first day after an update then slows down for some reason.... Cannot explain why and it's not placebo.
That doesn't happen for me at all. Their is a task manager built in to TVOS, you might check that maybe you are using all your memory with lots of open apps, a reset should help as well.

The idea of the Homepod is great but it’s an absolute mess. I have 2 set up for music in the same room and for Audio for the Apple TV.

Constantly the audio just adjusts down (like, every 15 minutes). It constantly drops audio switching between Apps.

Siri is genuinely awful on HomePod, it forgets I have lights constantly or just says ‘just a sec’ for 10 minutes.

Quality of the product is good but the software is honestly terrible. I can’t recommend them to anyone based on that.
is your network really bad? the just a sec, usually means network response is terrible.

Siri is so much better than google on those stupid little minis. You have to repeat and repeat and repeat, messes up answers all the time. I'm wondering if there are just too many devices on the network now, after all isn't that what wifi 6 is created to correct - too many devices? google uses to work OK, but not any more. Also we get a weird coughing sound occasionally - no idea if that is on HPs or minis because they are close to each other, I'm wondering there is a way to hack into these smart speakers.

Overall, we are super happy with ours and have no software issues. Love listening to appleTv through the HomePods, very clear and lifelike.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 65832
Oct 17, 2008

Seeing that Sonos just bricked perfectly fine speakers if you wanted to upgrade makes me feel uncomfortable owning any smart speaker knowing they can be remotely bricked or just left without updates and just stop working. Since the HomePod has not a single input you can’t use them with anything else once Apple decides for you to abandon them.

Reactions: Craiguyver

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Seeing that Sonos just bricked perfectly fine speakers if you wanted to upgrade makes me feel uncomfortable owning any smart speaker knowing they can be remotely bricked or just left without updates and just stop working. Since the HomePod has not a single input you can’t use them with anything else once Apple decides for you to abandon them.
I get it - Sonos bad. Maybe you could help educate me, I am not aware of Apple (who has been in business for many years longer than Sonos) of ever intentionally bricking devices (yes that oops moment with a bad software update on HomePod, but they replaced those and it was a mistake). Maybe you can send links to articles where this has happened, I'm not finding any.

Typically as an Apple product ages and does not have adequate hardware to keep up with new OS features, you can still keep using them on the old OS's, nothing lost, just lack of unsupported new features. Never heard of them bricking devices though