Apple Releases New Cases for iPhone XS and XS Max

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the new iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple has released new Silicone and Leather case options in a range of fall colors.

Priced at $39, Silicone Cases for the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max are available in colors that include Nectarine (a reddish orange shade), Lavender Gray (gray with a touch of blue), Blue Horizon, Stone, Pink Sand, Midnight Blue, White, Black, and (PRODUCT)RED.

[​IMG]

Leather Cases for the iPhone XS and XS Max, priced at $49, come in Peony Pink, Cape Cod Blue, Forest Green, Taupe, Midnight Blue, Saddle Brown, Black, and (PRODUCT)RED.

[​IMG]

Apple is also selling Folio Cases for iPhone XS and XS Max, priced at $99 for iPhone XS and $129 for iPhone XS Max. The Folio Cases are available in Peony Pink, Cape Cod Blue, Forest Green, Black, and (PRODUCT)RED.

[​IMG]

Apple has not yet released iPhone XR cases because that device will not be available to pre-order until October 19 ahead of an October 26 release date. Apple is likely to debut new cases for the devices closer to the launch date.

All of the new cases for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will be available for purchase this Friday when the two new high-end smartphones become available for pre-order.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Cases for iPhone XS and XS Max

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

They're hoping we've forgotten about AirPower, aren't they? :p

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Will iPhone X cases work on the Xs? They seem to have the same dimensions

4. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

Exactly the same dimensions, the camera is in the same spot as well .

5. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

Has Apple confirmed if these XS cases are compatible with iPhone X on their website?

6. ruger macrumors member

These new cases will take the new iPhones to the NEXT LEVEL

7. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Someone else mentioned the camera aperture is bigger though. So im not so sure.

8. acocke macrumors newbie

Also looking at Apple's own website on the combability section on these cases, it does not mention my now discontinued iPhoneX so that is a bummer. But I will wait and see for online reviews of the case and see if people try them out on the (old)iPhoneX lol.

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

That Forest Green colorway looks really slick. Reminds me of the Mustang Bullitt. I was going to keep my Cosmos Blue Leather Case for the XS, but now I'm really tempted to check this one out at the store.

10. unobtainium macrumors 68020

11. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

I looked that up too and the compatibility notes for X were just nuked. It LOOKS like the X and Xs are nearly identical for physical specs. I know even though they don’t advertise it, many iPhone 8/8+ accessories still fit iPhone 6/6+ devices other than the headphone jack.

It’s kind of crappy that they sold the iPhone X for 10 months and it’s been ret-goned already.

I feel the same way about the 9.7 iPad Pro. It’s almost the same as the Air 2 but the magnets for the covers were slightly different and the speaker covers are different, so Apple branded accessories aren’t interchangeable. The day the 10.5 iPad Pro came out the previous 9.7 accessories just vanished.

12. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Ugh. Not a fan of the new leather colors. They’re all so muted and dingy looking. Wish they were brighter like last year’s.

13. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Aperture, yes. Camera module, no.

14. Arcontia macrumors regular

So does that mean it should fit or nay? Can't see any other reason why its not compatible besides nudging up or down the home/volume buttons - dimensions are the same
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 at 7:49 PM ---
    Last fall's collection was as drab as it could get imo. Was the first 'season' i completely skipped buying a colour because none of them interested me.

15. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yes, the case will fit. The aperture is internal, under the glass.

16. Arcontia macrumors regular

Its springtime here in Australia, id be quite keen to get one of the Spring-themed X cases for a new XS (if they still have them instore today), hopefully it fits!

17. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Did they have separate fall and spring cases this past year?

18. Arcontia macrumors regular

Yes but as we are in the southern hemisphere, Spring/Summer time themed colours get released here during our Winter, and then as we go into Spring/Summer, Apple releases fall themed colours. Always get the "wrong" ones!

19. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Ah thanks. I guess I was thinking of the spring cases then. Loved the baby blue color this year. Wish they had that now.

20. Arcontia macrumors regular

The Electric Blue? You can still get it in-store now if you want one, before they clear the inventory when the new phone land, i too like that colour, but also want an iPhone XS - hence why I'm asking if the X cases fit the XS!

21. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Good point. I was slightly astonished that there were no iPhone XR cases alongside the others on the site.

I'd rather have the 8/XS size, but don't want the XS price. And Apple doesn't want anyone buying the 8 above 64GB (yes, the 64GB is $600, but the next size up is 256GB for $750, while the XR is $750 for 64GB, but only $800 for 128GB) - the 8 wins on size, but the XR, which is 1/2" taller and 1/3" wider, is superior in every other respect. So, suddenly, the XR seems at least worth considering. But the case is nearly a deal breaker - I've had very good luck with Apple's silicone cases (contributing little to the size, making the phone grippier, and safeguarding it from numerous falls). Good to hear they are likely to appear closer to the release (I know, it's a guess, but it helped me to take a step back and see a slightly bigger picture).

Halfway wondering if they'll made a clear/translucent silicone case, to let the XR's "fun" colors show through.

22. Arcontia macrumors regular

I distinctly remember last year when the X was announced September 2017, after the store went up again, iPhone X cases were listed; but they were blacklisted as "Currently unavailable" as the phone wasn't open to preorder until the following month of October.

Whereas this year, cases are absent altogether for the iPhone Xr.. I wouldn't rule it out completely at this stage however, just using some logic.

Apple doesn't really "take kindly" to its devices that aren't its flagships, when it comes to first party accessory choice. Some notes of comparison:

• iPhone X and iPhone 8 last year - iPhone X gets a fancy new Leather Folio, but the 8 is excluded from getting one. Wonder why?

• iPhone SE - phone only had the leather case as its option, in limited colors. The 6s from the sam era meanwhile had the choice of either Silicone or Leather, in a plethora of color options.

• iPad 9.7 inch (2017) and (2018) - these iPads only had a standalone smart cover available from Apple; the iPad Pro's next to each one meanwhile also had the option of a Silicone back-case (2016 9.7) or a fancy Leather Sleeve complete with a pencil holder (2017 10.5)

So basically tl;dr, you can expect a first party accessory for the iPhone Xr from Apple, but I wouldn't expect generosity in terms of variety/choice as there is with the XS/X Max

23. CarlJ, Sep 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM

CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

Agreed that Apple has a tendency to pay less attention to their non-flagship devices, but there's some point on the line between how much they think it'll sell, and how well it actually sells, that affects how many accessory choices such a device will get. There are some indications that the XR will sell really well (given that Apple has given it the front-line CPU/GPU and FaceID and one of the best cameras, in a size that appeals to many), and Apple isn't likely to cut off their golden opportunity to say, "hey, while you're buying that phone, and AppleCare, and a spare charger... would you like to buy a case, too?" Cases and watchbands are pretty high markup items for them and it drives up the ASP number, which they like.

There will likely be at least a few choices for cases from Apple. Perhaps silicone in a variety of colors. Maybe not leather (saving those for the XS?). Could be that it was just something they could put off for a month while their hands were full. Could be that they wanted to give the XS and XS Max their time in the spotlight, without people getting distracted thinking "ooh, look at this color XR and this case, maybe I'll wait to see that in person and then decide between XS and XR" (I think they run into a bit of a reverse problem, last year, releasing the lower-priced iPhone 8 six weeks before the iPhone X).

I think the long shot here, given that both silicone (as a material) and the underlying plastic frame that they use for their "silicone cases" can be made clear, is that they might be testing a (nearly) clear case, that would let the vibrant color of the phone show through somewhat (which if it worked out and was well-received, would also mean stocking fewer SKUs to support the XR - as I said, a long shot) - or possibly something like the 5C cases, that had a pattern of holes, and contrasting colors - something that wanders away from the established pattern of Apple's silicone phone cases. Those would be additional possibilities for no XR cases being up yet.

24. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

PSA: in MKBHD’s XS review he points out if you put an XS case on an X it doesn’t sit flush with the camera bump (see pic) which means the camera bump is marginally larger on the XS. For those hoping their Apple X cases will fit I’m not sure if they will. It might be tight? I was hoping to not have to order a new case but going to now just to be safe.

Attached Files: