Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced a new firmware update for AirPods Max. The new firmware is 6A325, up from the 6A324 firmware released in January.

Airpods-Max-Feature-Green-Triad.jpg

Apple does not provide details on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new, and the notes often only list generic bug fixes.

Apple also does not offer instructions on how to upgrade the software on the AirPods, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the ‌‌AirPods‌‌ are powered on and connected to an iOS device or a Mac.

You can check your ‌‌‌AirPods‌‌ Max‌‌‌‌‌‌‌ firmware by following these steps:
  • Connect your ‌‌‌‌‌‌AirPods to your iOS device.
  • Open the Settings app.
  • Tap General.
  • Tap About.
  • Tap ‌‌‌‌‌AirPods‌‌‌‌‌.
  • Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
If we find anything notable in the firmware release, we'll update this article.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods Max

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Amazing how many firmware updates have been released for these and other AirPods devices 🤔

Sure they address security bugs , efficiency and maybe sound quality enhancements... but still

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple does not provide details on what features might be included in the refreshed firmware, so it is unclear what's new, and the notes often only list generic bug fixes.
Amazing how many firmware updates have been released for these and other AirPods devices 🤔

Sure they address security bugs , efficiency and maybe sound quality enhancements... but still
I'm not sure I'd call nerfing ANC a feature or an enhancement 😂

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
still dont get why they wont add a traditional update menu like iOS has, within the airpods settings area.

Getting these random updates without any control over them or how to get them feels like bad design
Apple don't want you to be in control.... They focus on regular consumers/prosumers... who don't even know an update is happening... they won't even know updates for AirPods exist

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
still dont get why they wont add a traditional update menu like iOS has, within the airpods settings area.

Getting these random updates without any control over them or how to get them feels like bad design
it's by design. I work for a company that makes connected hardware. doing firmware OTAs are tough, you want to stagger out the deployment as much as possible

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

ShaneReactions

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
I also found out my M3 MBP has a built in DAC so I use the lightning to 3.5mm cable to listen to some songs in hi-res lossless, and I definitely notice a difference on the songs that support it.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I also found out my M3 MBP has a built in DAC so I use the lightning to 3.5mm cable to listen to some songs in hi-res lossless, and I definitely notice a difference on the songs that support it.
Its when you compare side by side that you notice.

I remember a while back comparing CDs to some of my streaming and albums on iTunes...

I understand the convenience... but wow the difference... we certainly went back a few steps on quality.

shawnforever

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2015
How does a battery replacement work? Only done by Apple, or can the user do the replacement (assuming the battery is available)?
You have to send it in to Apple.

In my experience, the Apple Store associates have no training for how to deal with battery issues. I literally asked them the criteria for a battery replacement and they didn't know. What happens is that the headphones stop working, nobody knows why the headphones stop working, and so only thing they'll recommend is the $300+ repair fee. You have to insist on a battery replacement to get one; they will not recommend it for you otherwise.

My headphones stopped working one day around the two-year mark. I had been having connection issues for a few weeks, and then they just stopped working completely. I was fairly adamant that it was a battery issue: I had never worn mine outside, never worn them to the gym, never had condensation issues, never dropped them. But I did use them for hours and hours a day, every day, for two years. It made sense to me that it was the battery that was causing all of these issues.

Mine were sent in for a battery replacement, and lo and behold, they've worked flawlessly for the last 6 months.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You have to send it in to Apple.

In my experience, the Apple Store associates have no training for how to deal with battery issues. I literally asked them the criteria for a battery replacement and they didn't know. What happens is that the headphones stop working, nobody knows why the headphones stop working, and so only thing they'll recommend is the $300+ repair fee. You have to insist on a battery replacement to get one; they will not recommend it for you otherwise.

My headphones stopped working one day around the two-year mark. I had been having connection issues for a few weeks, and then they just stopped working completely. I was fairly adamant that it was a battery issue: I had never worn mine outside, never worn them to the gym, never had condensation issues, never dropped them. But I did use them for hours and hours a day, every day, for two years. It made sense to me that it was the battery that was causing all of these issues.

Mine were sent in for a battery replacement, and lo and behold, they've worked flawlessly for the last 6 months.

Thanks for the heads-up - appreciate it!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
IIRC they straight up replace one of the headphone cups when they do it, so if there were issues with the microcontroller, the battery replacement service would fix them.

It's very dubious that they'd try to push you into a $300 replacement instead of trying to find out what's wrong. Very environmentally unfriendly, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.