Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new firmware update for the Beats Studio Buds earbuds, updating the firmware to 10M4372. The prior update, released in November, was 10M2155.

beats-studio-buds-april-2022-colors.jpg

Apple does not provide information on what's included in firmware updates for its Beats earbuds, so we are not sure what improvements or bug fixes the new software brings.

There's no standard way to upgrade the ‌Beats‌‌ Studio Buds, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the earbuds are connected to an iOS device. Putting the Beats‌‌‌‌‌ in the case, connecting them to a power source, and then pairing them‌‌‌‌‌ to an iPhone or iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

If we find notable changes after the firmware update is installed, we'll share details, but the software likely includes performance improvements and bug fixes rather than outward-facing changes.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for Beats Studio Buds

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Every time there's news about Beats, I think of $2 bln (!!!) spent on Dr Dre Beats... This was the most insane waste of cash by any company (apart from Elon buying Twitter).

• Disagree
Reactions: noraa

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Every time there's news about Beats, I think of $2 bln (!!!) spent on Dr Dre Beats... This was the most insane waste of cash by any company (apart from Elon buying Twitter).
The headphone business was really just a bonus. Apple bought it to get in the streaming business. Pretty sure the investment has paid itself back. Also kind of cool for Apple to have a slightly lesser brand to use much of the technology and be able to market it not just to the Apple walled garden.

Reactions: noraa and mjs916

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Why? They have their pluses like having actual physical controls and some of the earbud versions have hooks so they don't fall out during activities.

Reactions: PantherKang

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
Anyone got an idea of how long it takes for the Beats to request the update? Trying to help wife and so far been 20 minutes paired to iPhone, in case and charging/connected to power.

Reactions: rotvaldi

rotvaldi

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2023
It takes time leave it charging all night long phone and beats next to next eventually will update be sure Bluetooth activated and WiFi

Reactions: helmsc

dawhol9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2002

LOL. Glad you aren't in charge of a company....This has been paid back like 50 times over...LOL.

A quick Google search will show....
"If the question comes from a revenue standpoint, the Beats acquisition was absolutely worth it. Not only is the company generating upwards of one billion dollars each year, but it helped position Apple as one of the biggest headphone manufactures in the world, in just a couple years."

Let's see...pay 3 billion for a company that will add 1 billion A YEAR in sales....Nah...who in the world think THATS a good idea?? LOL

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012

Actually, Apple paid $3 billion for Beats, which folk who actually have a clue about such things reckon was a bargain.

Before Apple bought the company, Beats had sales of around $1 billion a year. So even without the streaming service, and Iovine’s connections in the music industry, and the addition of the sound technology engineers, and even if they hadn’t increased headphone sales after they purchased the company, the buyout would paid for itself in about four years.

Last edited:

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Without the beats patents and intellectual property the AirPods would have either never happened or would have been a much worse product.
And apple has made that two billion back and then some.
Not only do they have a corner on the market with headphones but they have a foothold into android users ears.

I don’t know I’m not a fan of 90% the choices Tim Apple makes, but the beats acquisition wasn’t one I hate.
My Beats Pro earbuds are great.

helmsc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Newport, TN
Where exactly can I locate the firmware of my device for my Beats Studio Buds+? I see the version number and SN but not the firmware ID. How do I know that my device received it?
Google the version number and you can get the build number from there.

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Without the beats patents and intellectual property the AirPods would have either never happened or would have been a much worse product.
And apple has made that two billion back and then some.
Not only do they have a corner on the market with headphones but they have a foothold into android users ears.

I don’t know I’m not a fan of 90% the choices Tim Apple makes, but the beats acquisition wasn’t one I hate.
My Beats Pro earbuds are great.
Can you point to the said list of patents acquired by Apple as the result of this acquisition? I think that your narrative is reasonable but is it true? And, as far the as the product goes, I was not commenting on the actual products (I use beats fit pro, they are fine mostly) but the overall cost of buying Beats. So far, I heard only plausible or questionable scenarios but no factual info.

• Disagree
Reactions: noraa

the 12th Doctor

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2020
I do not own a pair of these, but my wife does and she says they connect to her phone when they are in the case. Thinking she is full of it. I can confirm it happens constantly. Does anyone else have this or seen this issue?

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I do not own a pair of these, but my wife does and she says they connect to her phone when they are in the case. Thinking she is full of it. I can confirm it happens constantly. Does anyone else have this or seen this issue?
Sometimes my APP do that. No idea why but it kills the battery. Really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.