Apple Releases New Firmware for HomePod

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Alongside the iOS 11.2.5 beta that was seeded to developers this afternoon, Apple released new firmware for the HomePod.

The new firmware is not available through the Developer portal like a standard beta software update, but it will be downloadable by testers who have a HomePod. The update is also listed on third-party software sites, making it available for download by the public.

[​IMG]

HomePod devices are currently in the hands of Apple employees who are testing the smart speaker to iron out bugs before it becomes available for purchase in early 2018.

Apple previously released publicly available HomePod firmware in July, unwittingly leaking many secrets about the iPhone X. The HomePod firmware referenced the unreleased iPhone and confirmed its design and several features like Face ID facial recognition.

Additional HomePod firmware was released in October, but that update, like this one, is not as notable because there are no unreleased iOS devices coming in the immediate future and thus there's nothing to spoil. It's possible additional HomePod features could be discovered via the firmware update, however.

HomePod is Apple's Siri-based smart speaker that focuses heavily on high-quality sound. It incorporates a 7 tweeter array, an Apple-designed 4-inch upward-facing woofer, and an A8 chip to power features like spatial awareness.

Apple originally planned to release the HomePod in December, but in November, the HomePod launch was delayed until early 2018.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for HomePod

2. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

3. zhang96 macrumors member

That makes sense, HomePod wasn't released because of software problem.

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Ooooo what secrets will this have in it???

5. m.x macrumors regular

m.x

I expect something like the complete roadmap for 2018-2020 ;)

6. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

this has got to be some sort of record number of firmware updates for a device that hasn’t even been released yet! Obviously this means the device will be 100% bug free at release...

7. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Hoped for the HomePod to arrive for Christmas. Now I got at least this update as a gift. /s

8. Wags macrumors 6502a

Wonder if anything for CES. Although Apple has never really participated.

9. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I wonder if Apple will take advantage of the delay to move to an A9 processor. Only the iPad Mini 4 (on its last legs), iPod Touch (also on its last legs) and the Apple TV 4 use the chip and this time next year I can see only the Apple TV 4 using the chip which means it can't be that cost effective to maintain a production line for the A8 just for the HomePod...

10. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Other companies are eating Apple's lunch in this space... and since Apple doesn't have a product out there yet, it wants to at least remind the faithful that the device is coming - so they don't jump ship.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

12. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

Makes no sense. It would simply get buried in the cacophony of noise that is CES.

Apple decided a long time ago that CES was an attention suck and to a lesser extent, Macworld Expo as well. That's why they have basically abandoned trade shows.

Even if it's just a press announcement (no live media event), Apple would be better off picking a day not during CES week.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

14. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

Oh, time for ios12 leaking pod :)

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

16. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

HomePod 2... Electric Boogaloo

:p

17. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

How descriptive.

My guess is these updates are all related to AirPlay 2, since 11.2.5 enables it again on iOS and tvOS and there was a Watch update as well.

18. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

They should be able to. They have everyone to reverse engineer from. Google, Sonos, Amazon...

19. heimo macrumors 6502

Eagerly waiting to add this to the collection of other spybots I’ve littering the house.

20. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

Anyone diving into the firmware to see if there are any new HomePod features?

21. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

I'm still trying to find a version of the original leaked firmware (before Apple obfuscated it), can't believe it's not somewhere out there on the Internet.

22. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I wish they put lottery numbers there, so I'd be able to afford the iMac pro.
    I think devs and bloggers aren't so eager to look for stuff in the firmware now, since the isn't a big product about to be announced. It is too soon for next iPhone, iMac pro it on sale and the only missing product is the HomePod itself.
    Maybe we could get to know something about AirPower, but there's nothing really secret and interesting about a charging pad. As for the HomePod we don't know much about it aside from the brief announcement during WWDC, but I wouldn't expect any huge surprises.
    I'd really like some Siri improvements to come with the HomePod, or at least on iOS 12, but since that stuff is mainly done server side I don't think we can get a sneak peak with a new firmware

23. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Doubt it. I'm not sure there are any real savings in this case because Apple doesn't fab any of the processors anyway.

Plus, while the A8 may be old news in Apple-world, it is still pretty current (at single core speeds) compared to other ARM based competitors. That is a lot of processing power for a "speaker".

24. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Siri needs to get drastically better, or everyone with a HomePod will be pretty disappointed when they start asking it question Google Home and Alexa can easily answer.

I’m highly skeptical this product will generate many sales in the first version. The competition is cheaper and more robust.

25. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

me too. when will it be able to access my calendar?