Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Folks, it's really not that complex. This is the powerful and capable 30W USB-C Power Adapter ever!

Reactions: jpn

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Does anybody actually buy these at this price? I just bought an Anker USB -C car charger no less with two ports a 30W and 18W for a lil more than half that price. AMAZING!
I would consider buying if they made a multi-port version. Apple doesn't have a single first party multi-port charger. I really don't understand why. I bet most people in Apple ecosystem need to charge more than one Apple device.

Reactions: DotCom2

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Apple needs to start using Gallium Nitrate(GaN) tech inside it's power adapters to facilitate smaller foot print with more power output.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Prepare to see questions from people asking if using this 30 W adapter with lower powered USB-C devices like iPad Pro will damage the device, or if they can safely charge lower powered laptops like MacBook Air with the 85 W adapter. Because apparently, using a power adapter is the same as pulling the wiring from the wall and connecting the wires directly to the battery.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I love the Anker PowerPort Atom PD1 around the house or while traveling. It's freakin awesome. It's the size of the small iPhone charger, but puts out 30W USB-C PD.

Agreed! did a lot of reading about it and just prior to Xmas holiday 2019 took advantage of the Amazon pricing for $19 even though I didn’t need it Then yet using it now!

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I would consider buying if they made a multi-port version. Apple doesn't have a single first party multi-port charger. I really don't understand why. I bet most people in Apple ecosystem need to charge more than one Apple device.

I think with all the charging options today it just isn't necessary for Apple to make their own multiport charger. If Apple made one it would be the same as anyone else's, well maybe they would force type-C on all ports which hasn't been done on a >2 port charger yet. Unless they have some kind of special capability to offer, it'd be the same as anyone else's, and Apple really just does the basics on charging. There also was some kind of rumor of Apple making a GaN charger but who knows what capability it would bring.

They really should though, with all the wireless devices they offer, being in the Apple ecosystem now means charging a lot of devices. I guess it seems incongruous to try to push wireless charging while also making wired chargers more capable, but then again laptops and iPads aren't getting wireless charging. And they haven't even made their own wireless charger yet.

Reactions: V.K.

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
This one goes to 11.

In all seriousness though, I always liked Anker but their last adapter died on me a few days after the warranty expired and although I asked ever so politely for them to help a loyal customer out they refused, so I'm kinda done with Anker.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
Probably some kind of tweak to make them more compatible with upcoming ARM laptops.
Chargers work on a multiple Wattage basis. So if the device they're charging supports a compatible wattage they can "talk". For instance, the current 30W charger supports 30W, 18W, 15W, 12W, 10W and 5W charging. The previous one only supported 29W, 15W, 10W and 5W charging, so when used with the new fast charging iPhone you could only get 15W instead of the 18W supported by the iPhone. This new one might have more "speeds" available. I reckon that the new iPhones will support 25W charging just like the current and new Samsungs. Apple has probably quietly added 25W charging to these chargers in anticipation.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I think with all the charging options today it just isn't necessary for Apple to make their own multiport charger. If Apple made one it would be the same as anyone else's, well maybe they would force type-C on all ports which hasn't been done on a >2 port charger yet. Unless they have some kind of special capability to offer, it'd be the same as anyone else's, and Apple really just does the basics on charging. There also was some kind of rumor of Apple making a GaN charger but who knows what capability it would bring.

They really should though, with all the wireless devices they offer, being in the Apple ecosystem now means charging a lot of devices. I guess it seems incongruous to try to push wireless charging while also making wired chargers more capable, but then again laptops and iPads aren't getting wireless charging. And they haven't even made their own wireless charger yet.
I agree with a lot of what you say but a wired Apple multiport charger would still be useful. They are just not serving the market with what they are offering. If they are making any chargers at all they should make a multiport one. I am not sure if they can give it any special capabilities when charging Apple devices but even if they don't I'd still want one for traveling. I suspect most Americans don't care but I love the ability to switch the plugs on Apple adapters to country specific ones when traveling.
I do agree about wireless charging. Apple will absolutely have to get back into that sooner or later (I expect sooner).

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I agree with a lot of what you say but a wired Apple multiport charger would still be useful. They are just not serving the market with what they are offering. If they are making any chargers at all they should make a multiport one. I am not sure if they can give it any special capabilities when charging Apple devices but even if they don't I'd still want one for traveling. I suspect most Americans don't care but I love the ability to switch the plugs on Apple adapters to country specific ones when traveling.
I do agree about wireless charging. Apple will absolutely have to get back into that sooner or later (I expect sooner).

You can get the Hyperjuice GaN charger and it includes tips for other countries (I got one of those a few months ago, amid the pandemic so no real travel yet). The only thing it didn't include is an extension cable. Theoretically I'd be good with the Hyperjuice alone, usually I don't need to charge everything at once but I need more than one device charged at a time.

I also did go to Taiwan last year and charged my devices with just the Macbook charger, basically I had 2 battery banks, Apple Watch, and iPhone, and I had to charge each one in serial. That did get annoying, hence the Hyperjuice purchase (but no travel yet).

An Apple version of the Hyperjuice would be mostly the same as the Hyperjuice, in my estimation. Apple would probably go with 4x USB-C instead of 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A. Maybe they could pass data and video through their own charger, but I don't know if you can easily achieve that with Thunderbolt and make the charger the same size or if it would need a larger circuit board to enable that and then they wouldn't want to make a larger charger or what. But hey, with GaN it should be able to reduce the size so they could use the size freed up for Thunderbolt docking capabilities.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
You can get the Hyperjuice GaN charger and it includes tips for other countries (I got one of those a few months ago, amid the pandemic so no real travel yet). The only thing it didn't include is an extension cable. Theoretically I'd be good with the Hyperjuice alone, usually I don't need to charge everything at once but I need more than one device charged at a time.

I also did go to Taiwan last year and charged my devices with just the Macbook charger, basically I had 2 battery banks, Apple Watch, and iPhone, and I had to charge each one in serial. That did get annoying, hence the Hyperjuice purchase (but no travel yet).

An Apple version of the Hyperjuice would be mostly the same as the Hyperjuice, in my estimation. Apple would probably go with 4x USB-C instead of 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A. Maybe they could pass data and video through their own charger, but I don't know if you can easily achieve that with Thunderbolt and make the charger the same size or if it would need a larger circuit board to enable that and then they wouldn't want to make a larger charger or what. But hey, with GaN it should be able to reduce the size so they could use the size freed up for Thunderbolt docking capabilities.
I've never heard of the Hyperjuice charger. In principle it's exactly what I would want. However, I looked it up and it a Kickstarter project and the comments regarding quality on its Kickstarter comments page are not at all reassuring. Not willing to roll the dice on it.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

The problem is when people try to plug in two MacBook or two devices and the USB charger does not offer enough power. So Apple kept it simple.

I would imagine in the future, sort of like 4- 5 years time, everything new, sub 15W coming from Apple will be wireless. And leaving the high power option for USB-C.

Reactions: jpn

jooish

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Palos Verdes, CA
Does anybody actually buy these at this price? I just bought an Anker USB -C car charger no less with two ports a 30W and 18W for a lil more than half that price. AMAZING!

Yeah... I bought one when the iPhone X came out. Used it exclusively for the X, XS Max and 11 Pro Max. It's not the best for maintaining top battery health, but it's very fast and I only keep my phones for a year.

I agree it's pricey... and you still need to buy the USB-C cable. I got the longer one for $30. So, $80+ tax for a fast charger with a single port. Not the best value when comparing to third party options, but I have no regrets. I don't usually like third party accessories.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
The problem is when people try to plug in two MacBook or two devices and the USB charger does not offer enough power. So Apple kept it simple.

I would imagine in the future, sort of like 4- 5 years time, everything new, sub 15W coming from Apple will be wireless. And leaving the high power option for USB-C.
I don't think plugging two laptops into a single adapter would be a big problem. I mean, how many people would even be in a position to try this? As for wireless charging you are right about it but that's for a few years down the road as you say. We need something for right now. Personally I have an iphone, an ipad and PowerBeats Pro that I need to charge every day. That's 3 Apple devices and I am quite sure this is hardly uncommon.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I don't think plugging two laptops into a single adapter would be a big problem. I mean, how many people would even be in a position to try this? As for wireless charging you are right about it but that's for a few years down the road as you say. We need something for right now. Personally I have an iphone, an ipad and PowerBeats Pro that I need to charge every day. That's 3 Apple devices and I am quite sure this is hardly uncommon.

Is not plugging in two laptop, it could be one laptop and one iPad. You will then have to educate consumers, that iPad uses 20W, and you can only plug in 40W in the other port. Since your MacBook Pro 13" uses 60W, you cant do that etc..... You could make an 100W adaptor, then people start asking, can I plug in my 16" MacBook Pro ( 100W) while having second port used by iPad?

Could it be solved? Definitely. By labelling something like 30W x2 Charger. Where each port could only output max 30W. But it is such a hassle I guess Apple just want these market to be served by other vendors. They dont want to explain it, and if you want it, you likely already know what you are doing.

Apple just want to keep things simple. To some, this is to the point where prosumers or professional hate it.

Reactions: The1andOnly

hrpanjwani

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
This is why the whole no-charger-in-next-iPhone-for-the-environment is bunk. If Apple was serious about that, they would start releasing 3 port or 4 port chargers instead of nickel and diming users with single port chargers. Making efficient multiport chargers would serve users much better than vapourware like AirPower.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
The chrome ring was gone on the previous 30w MR2A2LL/A (A1882) as well as the 61w A1947.

In short, that chrome ring has been gone for a while :)

My 2015 MacBook's 29w charger hasn't chrome ring and I don't remember any chrome ring on 29/30w MacBook's charger. Btw the 29w was a unique block of pbc, while 30ws are not. I also use an Anker GaN 30w for iPad and iPhone and yes, it's smaller and lighter, but it is really hot while using.

Last edited:
Reactions: The1andOnly

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020
My 2015 MacBook's 29w charger hasn't chrome ring and I don't remember any chrome ring on 29/30w MacBook's charger. Btw the 29w was a unique block of pbc, while 30ws are not. I also use an Anker GaN 30w for iPad and iPhone and yes, it's smaller and lighter, but it is really hot while using.
True. I bought the 29w adapter for my first generation iPad Pro. No chrome.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Apple today quietly released a new version of its 30W USB-C power adapter with the model number MY1W2AM/A. The outward design of the adapter has not changed, so if any tweaks have been made, they are likely internal. The previous model MR2A2LL/A is no longer available for purchase from Apple.

The power adapter remains compatible with any USB‑C–enabled device, with Apple continuing to recommend that it be paired with the 13-inch MacBook Air with a Retina display. The adapter can also be used to fast charge compatible iPhone and iPad Pro models. The new version remains priced at $49 on Apple's online store and ships within a few days.

Apple made a similar move in June 2018, when it quietly replaced its 29W power adapter with the original 30W version that was sold until this week.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Version of 30W USB-C Power Adapter, But Changes Unclear

It’s possible that this new version of the USB C 30 watt power adapter has PD 3.0 (power delivery version 3.0). Does anyone know?

Reactions: KayEm6419
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.