Apple Releases Revised Version of Second macOS High Sierra Beta for Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a revised version of the second macOS High Sierra beta, introducing macOS High Sierra Developer Beta 2 Update 1. The new version of High Sierra comes a little over a week after the second macOS High Sierra beta was first released to developers.

The new beta can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, subsequent betas will be available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

Apple earlier this week introduced updated versions of both iOS 11 and tvOS 11, and those beta 2 updates preceded public beta releases, so it's possible we'll get a macOS High Sierra public beta release in the near future.

macOS High Sierra builds on features introduced with macOS Sierra. It focuses on new core storage, video, and graphics technology, introducing a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Some apps are also gaining new features. Photos has gained a new sidebar that's designed to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color. Photos also supports external editing apps like Photoshop and Pixelmator, saving changes made in those apps, and it interfaces with third-party printing services.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to end autoplay video, and a new feature that puts a stop to data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has expanded music capabilities and a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight supports flight status information. There are also improvements to iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, and Notes.

macOS High Sierra is available only for registered developers at the current time, but as mentioned above, Apple may be preparing to release a public beta to give other testers a chance to try the software before it sees a public launch in the fall.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Version of Second macOS High Sierra Beta for Developers

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Uh oh, here we go. Public Beta in a couple of hours from now???

3. lunarworks macrumors 65816

If it's anything like the other day, I guess we can expect the Public Beta anytime now.

4. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I need to download the entire installer from Dev Portal?

EDIT: Update popped up at 315MB on MBP 2016 13" with Touch Bar.

5. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

Is there any official word on when VP9/HEVC hardware decoding will actually work?

6. kissmo macrumors 6502a

355MB and it has a FW update.
    Build (17A291m)

iMac Mid 2011

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

So, what makes this a beta 2 update 1 and not a beta 3?

No VP9, but other posts indicate that HEVC hardware decoding already works in QT, with the High Sierra betas.

8. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Anyone still having issues converting to APFS in the betas? That's what's making me hold off....

9. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

High Sierra... makes me cringe every time.

10. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

If your GF was called Sierra and she was high you know you would love it.

11. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Checked the box in the early stages of the installer for "convert to APFS" or whatever the wording is and let it go....

12. WalterTizzano macrumors regular

WalterTizzano

It’s the only reason that made me install the beta, there are no other changes of substance

13. bbfc, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

bbfc macrumors 68040

bbfc

Redownloading this from the MAS and hoping it runs much better on older Macs.

14. lucasrant macrumors regular

omg I know

15. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Does this update fix the problem with icloud message everytime you click messages

16. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

This was fixed with beta 2 version 1 itself. All you need to do is go into preferences and manually tick the sync button and click sync.

17. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

I have beta 2 and it wont let me select the messages sync so everytime i click messages i get pop up saying turn messages cloud thing

18. macintoshmac, Jun 29, 2017

macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Is it just me, or does the version 2 feel a little snappier? No, seriously?

I have spent the last two hours trying to gauge UI snappiness differences between my Late 2011 MBP 15 with dGPU and my Late 2016 MBP 13 with Intel 550, both running High Sierra 10.13 beta 2. I have specifically been checking launching Launchpad > Clicking Other > Gauging if it stutters > Clicking Activity Monitor.

Prior to update, Late 2011 has literally ZERO stutter. late 2016 occasionally stutters when clicking Other and when clicking the Activity Monitor icon as the icon blows out.

So after this update version 2 to the MBP 2016, the UI animation seems to be ever so slightly smoother, the difference that was *really* noticeable between my 2011 and 2016 has now been reduced to an extent where I could doubt myself as imagining it. They still aren' exactly as silky (strictly with respect to clicking the Other folder) but the difference has almost disappeared.

I like the direction where Apple is going with it. If they can positively improve the UI speeds, it would immensely help the feel of this expensive machine.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    Dan, my bad, I just remembered, I might have signed out of iMessage and signed back in and then clicked it. Try this, please. Also, just out of curiosity, does the 9700 stand for Blackberry Bold 9700? :)

19. nortonandreev, Jun 29, 2017

nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

Safari is updated from 11.0 (13604.1.25.3.2) to 11.0 (13604.1.25.3.3)

20. kissmo macrumors 6502a

I wanted to post a similar comment but I thought the beer I just drank affected me so everything looks smooth.
    But I actually have similar experience.

It is smoother and snappier. At least for now.

21. justperry, Jun 29, 2017

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Downloaded and updated, the system tried to restart yet didn't and had to manually shut the system down, now second attempt.....

...succeeded.

22. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Have patience - there is a FW update!

23. Ries macrumors 68020

Remember the keynote went something like:
    Craig: We are calling it High Sierra!
    Crowd: Hahaha, funny :) Really, what is it called? ...
    Craig: The marketing people tell me it's a good name.
    Crowd: That wasn't a joke?!?!

24. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

They should stop giving these names if they can't truly come up with names that will not invite mockery on themselves. :p

25. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Ok ill try that, and deff not haha dan9700 was cos of years ago i made a username and needed numbers so used my dads work number ending with 9700 lol ive been a iphone user since day one :)