Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safari-icon-250x250.jpg
Apple today released the third developer beta of Safari 10 for OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan users, allowing those who don't yet want to install the macOS Sierra operating system to test out the upcoming Safari update.

The third Safari 10 beta for Yosemite and El Capitan can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who installed the first two Safari 10 betas.

As in previous betas, Safari 10 for Yosemite and El Capitan does not include all of the features that are available or will be available in macOS Sierra, like Apple Pay on the web and Picture in Picture support, but the Safari 10 functions listed below are available.

- Safari Extensions
- New Bookmarks sidebar, including double-click to focus in on a folder
- Redesigned Bookmarks and History views
- Site-specific zoom
- Improved AutoFill from your Contacts card
- Reader improvements
- HTML5 and legacy Plug-ins
- Allow reopening of recently closed tabs
- Back closing spawned tabs
- Improved ranking of Frequently Visited Sites
- Web Inspector Timelines Tab
- Debugging using Web Inspector

With OS X El Capitan, Safari 10 also supports the development of Safari App Extensions, allowing developers to start creating extensions that will eventually be sold through the Mac App Store. Also unique to El Capitan is Spotlight suggestions for Top Hits.

Safari 10 will be released this fall alongside macOS Sierra.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 10 Developer Beta 3 for OS X Yosemite and El Capitan

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Literally no one cares about this

I take it you're not a Safari user. You view it the same way the rest of us viewed Internet Explorer for millennia.

Safari happens to be my preferred browser, but I use it alongside Firefox, Chrome, Brave, and occasionally Opera. Who says that one must use one and only one browser? I use them like app-wrappers, each purposed differently.

Comment

Cancelled
Mar 31, 2015
Is there a way for people without developer accounts to try out Safari 10 on El Capitan?

Comment

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Is there a way for people without developer accounts to try out Safari 10 on El Capitan?
Yeah: https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/
By the way, developer accounts are free to make. It only costs money to subscribe to a developer program. Most downloads don't require a subscription to a dev program. Off the top of my head, iOS betas are the only big things that do require it. OS X betas used to, not anymore.

Comment

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Last edited:
Comment

Cancelled
Mar 31, 2015
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The version number on this is Safari 9.1.2, the same as the Safari I already have.

Why would Apple test what's supposed to be a major upgrade to Safari under the same version number?
Perhaps you don't actually have the beta?

Comment

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
According to my unofficial count Apple has had 389 Betas on their software this year.
That count does not include betas that were pulled for bricking devices.
Can't wait for the Apple car betas.

_47750593_car_grab.jpg

Reactions: xbjllb and CarlJ
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
According to my unofficial count Apple has had 389 Betas on their software this year.
That count does not include betas that were pulled for bricking devices.
Can't wait for the Apple car betas.

_47750593_car_grab.jpg
389 betas? Betas were pulled for bricking devices?

Comment

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Does anyone know if BBC iPlayer HTML5 player works with this? (Doesn't work on current version)

Comment

Going Digital

Suspended
Feb 22, 2011
I use Safari as my main browser, it isn't ideal but uses much cpu time (therefore power) than any other browser. I doubt that this v10 will work with iPlayer HTML 5 player as I suspect the BBC have their own particular way of doing it.

Comment

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I use Safari as my main browser, it isn't ideal but uses much cpu time (therefore power) than any other browser. I doubt that this v10 will work with iPlayer HTML 5 player as I suspect the BBC have their own particular way of doing it.

I'd suspect they greenlight certain browsers to work on their player. I doubt it's a technical issue.

Comment

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Literally no one cares about this

Why do you say that? I use Safari exclusively on my Mac, my iPhone, and iPad. I am very interested in the updates they are developing and testing.

Some people complain if new updates and features are made by Apple - and when they do - they still complain.

Fascinating.

Comment

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.