Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well, another bug introduced by Safari 17... ugh.

I use an editor called EditorJS (https://editorjs.io/) that provides a small Link widget for adding links into web content. Worked fine until upgrading to Safari 17. Now doesn't work. Tested Chrome and still works over there. Could be a bug in EditorJS, but I doubt it. Nothing is appearing in the Web Console. No JavaScript errors. Just no widget appearing.

Safari 17, you have promise, but you need some bug fixes.... stat!

Hombre53

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Looks like the folders in the favorites bar (bookmark folders) on Safari 17 can finally be seen again. The folders in the past two or three iterations of Safari were noticeably dim. I'm jazzed by the little things...

Alfred.Woodden

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2007
Norway
The new context menu in Safari on Sonoma is very jumpy!! 😳

Whenever I right-click an image, two new items pop up in the context menu at the bottom, one after the other in a staccato manner: "Copy subject" and "Look up" (visual look up). They get added half a second after the context menu has appeared. This makes it difficult to click the "open in new tab" because it jumps away from my cursor as the "copy subject" and "Look up" pops in.

Does anyone else experience this or is it just me? Is there any way to disable "copy subject" and "look up", you think?

Last edited:

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I guess it's time to update to Monterey.
Actually, I think I'l just go straight to Ventura in a week or so.
I was on Monterey until recently, but I have updated to Ventura and I can say it has been flawless since I installed it on MacBook Pro 16" M1. But Monterey was also great - I had zero issues with it. Only upgraded due to E2E encryption (Advanced Data Protection) on the iCloud, otherwise there's literally zero features I'm interested in.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Sindroid

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
I am amused that Safari 17 finally was to get Favicons in Favourites bar.. Well.. today i installed the new MacOS to try and be bewildered of this simple feature i been waiting YEARS for.. But just to find they messed up ONE thing..
You CAN NOT have just an icon showing. (meaning you erase the whole name) you HAVE to have ONE letter registered.
Epic FAIL from Apple.
Time to wait another15 years for that to happen.

Back to Brave browser again..

Reactions: AudiHeel

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Now my bookmarks are spaced so far apart a dozen fell off the page - please fix Apple.

On Monterey 12.7
Ugh, same. At first I thought it was the new favicons, but I disabled them and my favorites still don't fit like they did right before I updated. Now I have to delete bookmarks if I want it all to fit.

Speaking of favicons, even if I turn them on, all I see is a generic globe icon next to each bookmark. *Edit* Okay, after enabling I closed Safari and reopened, then the favicons loaded properly.

Reactions: AudiHeel

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Also a reminder that, if you are getting Safari 17 with Sonoma, you get JXL (JPEG XL) support baked-in, as was the case with Safari on iOS/iPad last week. Won’t work on the Mac without Sonoma, however. (Oddly enough, the Safari-ish Orion browser somehow does it without Sonoma, as I found out by accident a few days ago.)
I wonder if we'll start to see use of JXL on the web because of this. Doubtful until Windows supports it (or do they already...?).

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
ublock origin, tampermonkey, other random ones.
You have to be willing to try a few off-brand extensions or (puke) buy a few to get the same experience as Firefox. Between Wipr and Dark Reader, I've got Safari browsing about as well as I would want on a normal basis, but I'll still keep Firefox around for srs biznz

Fraa

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
I am amused that Safari 17 finally was to get Favicons in Favourites bar.. Well.. today i installed the new MacOS to try and be bewildered of this simple feature i been waiting YEARS for.. But just to find they messed up ONE thing..
You CAN NOT have just an icon showing. (meaning you erase the whole name) you HAVE to have ONE letter registered.
Epic FAIL from Apple.
Time to wait another15 years for that to happen.

Back to Brave browser again.

It is possible to get rid of the name of each favourite. Just entering a blank name, a space, etc won't work. But if you paste in the "tag space emoji", it works.

cadec

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2020
17.1 v2 on ventura 13.6.1 intel imac 2020 is horrid! slow, laggy, buggy, won't load MANY websites. just another POS from apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.