Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilp

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
upgraded to 3.1... I'm seeing glitches while scrolling: duplicated half-lines, interrupted paragraphs, a visual stutter/scramble of sorts. Looks like a rendering issue. Same thing scrolling thru a Mail message... anyone else see this?

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
does anyone know if their is a way to adjust the scrolling speed (when using the mouse wheel) in the windows version of safari? it scrolls so slow and is driving me nuts!

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
still slower to me

i will admit that it loads certain pages kinda quickly, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what pages load quicker.
i still have problems with it loading myspace or any social networking site at any reliable speed that i would consider fast. many times i've found that if i click a bookmark twice it will seem to load quicker than just letting it cruise along with no interference.
i would almost say that version 2 seemed quicker.
safari 3, on my computer at least, does not really show any significant improvements in speed. i have RoadRunner Turbo 8meg connection so i shouldn't really be twiddling my thumbs while pages load, but it happens regularly in safari.
while i will admit that overall i like the feel of safari better as far as user interface, Opera is my hero as far as speed. and i must say, i love the mouse gestures. this is a feature that safari should have, assuming it can pick up on the speed one of these days.
Opera is still faster, and i would assume that Firefox is too.
Apple's claims that Safari is faster is just completely false in real world web browsing.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Installed, but stil got Safari 3.0.4???

I have run the install for safari 3.1, it ran fine, restarted, but "About Safari" says I still have 3.0.4?

I've run the install several times, but it never seems to update.

Any ideas?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Is anyone else having trouble syncing Safari bookmarks to their iPhone after the upgrade to Safari 3.1? It's possible that the bookmark syncing was broken before I upgraded to Safari 3.1 (it's been awhile since I've synced), but I'm just trying to figure out some connection.

poolemit

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
It's very strange. When I try to view the image with the link:
http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif
it redirects to http://www5.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif&ei=itzfR6nONo7WgwTZrt07&redir_esc=www5

Taking out the "&ei=itzfR6nONo7WgwTZrt07&redir_esc=www5" in the address, I can load the image.

The problem seems to be coming from the http://www.google.com versus www5.google.com. The page and image (without the 5) works fine in Firefox.

I'm guessing this is a Safari bug but don't know why others aren't having this problem.

It's definately not Safari-related. I actually found your post searching Google for people with similar problems. I'm using Firefox 2 and 3-beta4 and have the same issue. For some reason I think Google is redirecting us to their www5 subdomain on which the logo doesn't exist. If I search something on google.com the results page is always:

hxxp://www5.google.com/search?hl=en&q=blah&btnG=Google+Search&ei=oKjjR52rDI7-gwL9vdlL&redir_esc=www5

I'm stumped. What's so special about us that Google is redirecting us to that server every single time? :rolleyes:

EDIT: there was a google cookie setting this redirection - just cleared all google cookies and now it's fine. strange..

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I wish they preserve the scroll..

Wehn i am on the page and scrolled all the way down and clikc a link, and then clicked back, it should take me back to the previous scroll...but no. I have to scroll all the way down again :(

Only sometimes, it is preserved but the other times, it just irritates me.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I havent read all the posts on here yet, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had any issues since this update...my Safari has crashed/locked up multiple times already. Really annoying...failing over to firefox beta 4..seems to be alot faster anyway!

mergatroidal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
New York
I just put the RSS reader and Default browser back to Safari from Omni Web. A month of Omni Web 5 and I have to admit I prefer the RSS display in Safari and the Safari search function is cool, and what I expect from Apple engineers. :)~}

Safari 3.1 seems stable, and is quick as a mongoose in front of a cobra loading and drawing pages. :cool:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
As one of the testers of Safari 3.1...

a few weeks before everyone else had it, I was greatly concerned with the constant crashing and the amount of time (little rotating beach ball) between pages and even start up. We were offered a debug console that would show us the number of ERRORS with each website we would go to and the total errors would range between 0 - 260. And the errors could be with HTML, JavaScript or CSS; there is even an "ALL" tab if you wish to view all errors on all three. I strongly recommend that each person using Safari, PLEASE send report to Safari when your system crashes, this way the developers can debug the complaint and offer solutions as soon as possible. Thanks. :cool:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
upgraded to 3.1... I'm seeing glitches while scrolling: duplicated half-lines, interrupted paragraphs, a visual stutter/scramble of sorts. Looks like a rendering issue. Same thing scrolling thru a Mail message... anyone else see this?

I've had Safari 3.1 since it was available, and I am getting this just now.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Safari 3.1 for Windows requires Windows XP or Windows Vista, a minimum of 256MB of memory and a system with at least a 500 MHz Intel Pentium processor.]

Today was the first time I managed to install Safari 3.1 on a windows computer and I have to say out of the three IE7, FF 2.0.0.12 and Safari 3.1 it is the most responsive and least draining on a very low end PC (256MB ram 1.9 P4). Both IE7 and FF make it very obvious that you are using the internet on a very slow machine whereas Safari 3.1 feels like browsing on a much much faster machine. I'm pleased very with this update.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
IDK, for 256MB machine, I guess you have to be running windows XP. the system itself isn't smooth with 256MB memory.

Safari is packed with its own micro environment, once you get pass the slow start, everything get cached into memory, I guess it would feel good.

But how about other apps? when you try to switch to other app?

Safari's UI never has been responsive to me, with 2G memory and AMD duelcore. when maximize the window, it shows a broken UI.

If its good on your machine, I m sure it would be better when it running in a native form in windows.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Webkit just reached A+ standard on Acid3, and hopefully Apple will pioneer 100% web standards compliance, which again hopefully will encourage MS (due to Apple's likely demeaning advertising) to strive towards the same goal and provide us with a much nicer internet :)

balwx

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
I have run the install for safari 3.1, it ran fine, restarted, but "About Safari" says I still have 3.0.4?

I've run the install several times, but it never seems to update.

Any ideas?

I'm having the exact same problem. I even downloaded the full install from apple.com. I installs without error, but still shows the old version.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
...and with the latest Opera 9.5 Snapshot build, it scores 77/100 in Acid3 test. ;)

and you point?, at the time of your posting webkit had 93/100

IDK, for 256MB machine, I guess you have to be running windows XP. the system itself isn't smooth with 256MB memory.

Safari is packed with its own micro environment, once you get pass the slow start, everything get cached into memory, I guess it would feel good.

But how about other apps? when you try to switch to other app?

Safari's UI never has been responsive to me, with 2G memory and AMD duelcore. when maximize the window, it shows a broken UI.

If its good on your machine, I m sure it would be better when it running in a native form in windows.

Yeah it was XP SP2 and everything in that post incorporated switching between applications and the system in general. It seems to work the best with a low ram system out of FF, IE and Safari. The other two showed much longer load times and also long lags when switching applications. All three exhibited some UI drawing errors when switching applications, Safari was probably the worst but lasted the least longest so it didn't bother me as I could actually get on with what I was doing at the time.

It so happens I upgraded that machine to 768MB of RAM and all three are much faster however I would say that Safari is still the best regarding startup time and general responsiveness.

Mac.

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Anyone know when a new version of PithHelmet will be released?

I hate Safari without a pop-up blocker :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.