Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safariicon.jpg
Apple today released Safari 6.1 for Mountain Lion users. The update includes many of the new features added to Safari for Mavericks including Shared Links, Top Sites, and the new Sidebar.

Safari 6.1 is a free download for Mountain Lion users and is available as a software update through the Mac App Store.
Safari 6.1 for OS X Mountain Lion contains new features, including:

- Shared Links. See links shared by people you follow on Twitter.
- Sidebar. See your Bookmarks, Reading List, and Shared Links in one convenient place.
- One-click bookmarking. Just click the (+) button to the left of the Smart Search Field to add a webpage to your Reading List. Click and hold to add it to the Favorites Bar or to your Bookmarks.
- Safari Power Saver. Increase energy efficiency by playing only the plug-in content you want to see.
- Third-party data blocking. By default, Safari blocks third-party websites from leaving cookies and other types of data that could be used to track your browsing.
- Built-in Yandex Search. Leading Russian search engine Yandex is now an option for Russian users.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6.1 for Mountain Lion With Shared Links, New Sidebar, Power Saver and More

sidparekh

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Safari 6.1

Well, Safari seems better. In fact better and smoother than the Webkit nightly I was on previously. A couple of changes I spotted(except the new top sites page): Right clicking menu on a link now brings Open in new tab as the 1st option as compared to 2nd on previous safari. Also when you open a link in a new tab, the tabs bar has a smooth transition.
OT: Mavericks on download. Cant wait!:D

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
:confused::confused::confused:

Mavericks being free... WHY?

Okay, so you want to stay on OS X ML, but... going by Apple's past logic this is a bit confusing.
I do welcome this, but I'm just wondering...

Glassed Silver:mac

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
Love the new safari, but I must admit I'm a bit dissappointed with Apple iCloud keychain access intergration I thought it would be a little more like 1Password, I've tried with a few websites and I always get a message that looks something like this "your password for Ebay could not be saved because Ebay asked us not too"...What's that point!? I've tried with a few websites.

And I can never remember the security number in the back of my credit card, so its a bummer if it remembers everything but that when trying to make purchases because I still have to go get my wallet.. Great work with safari but I'm going to stick with 1Password for now for all my password needs..

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
Love the new safari, but I must admit I'm a bit dissappointed with Apple iCloud keychain access intergration I thought it would be a little more like 1Password, I've tried with a few websites and I always get a message that looks something like this "your password for Ebay could not be saved because Ebay asked us not too"...What's that point!? I've tried with a few websites.

And I can never remember the security number in the back of my credit card, so its a bummer if it remembers everything but that when trying to make purchases because I still have to go get my wallet.. Great work with safari but I'm going to stick with 1Password for now for all my password needs..

In Preferences > Passwords check the option to Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved

anshuvorty

macrumors 68020
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA

it seems like Apple's Achilles heel is still in Web/Cloud Services Features. Alas, when will they learn?

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010

Okay, so you want to stay on OS X ML, but... going by Apple's past logic this is a bit confusing.

Because not everyone can (or wants to) upgrade to Mavericks. It's not all that confusing.

What is confusing is why this Safari update on ML is crashing after update. New window and New tab does not work at all.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007

Apple has always maintained Safari for previous versions of OS X... Safari 6.1 is the first version to not support OS X 10.7 Lion. (Plus, they have been regularly releasing security updates of Safari 5 for OS X 10.6.)

Not all Macs can run Mavericks.

(EDIT: As many people pointed out, OS X 10.7 is actually still supported in Safari 6.1; my bad.)

Last edited:

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Safari 6.1 for ML crashes every start

Is anyone else having this issue? Sometimes it stays open for a few minutes, but I am only able to open a single window with one tab and can't load anything beyond that.

bryanzak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2002
My issue is that it's reporting all of my plugins as having serious security issues and that they are all out of date (in Preferences > Security > Manage Website Settings). Yet they are all current. My wife's laptop isn't have that issue.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Apple has always maintained Safari for previous versions of OS X... Safari 6.1 is the first version to not support OS X 10.7 Lion. (Plus, they have been regularly releasing security updates of Safari 5 for OS X 10.6.)

Now I'm more confused than ever. My pre-unibody MacBook will definitely NOT run Mountain Lion, hence it won't run Maverick. So why is Software Update offering to download Safari 6.1 to a device running Mac OS X 10.7.5?

What would happen if I were to allow the Safari 6.1 d/l?

Many thanks, O Wise Ones ;-)

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
My issue is that it's reporting all of my plugins as having serious security issues and that they are all out of date (in Preferences > Security > Manage Website Settings). Yet they are all current. My wife's laptop isn't have that issue.

This reminded me of what my problem might be. I have Glims installed and they just issued an update a few days ago that provides support for 6.1 and 7, but I hadn't installed it yet. Upgrading to the newest version cleared everything up for me, in case anyone else has similar issues.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Now I'm more confused than ever. My pre-unibody MacBook will definitely NOT run Mountain Lion, hence it won't run Maverick. So why is Software Update offering to download Safari 6.1 to a device running Mac OS X 10.7.5?

What would happen if I were to allow the Safari 6.1 d/l?

Many thanks, O Wise Ones ;-)

If you are offered it with 10.7 then it is compatible with 10.7

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

All Macs that can run ML can run Mavericks. >_>

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
If you are offered it with 10.7 then it is compatible with 10.7

Luap, thanks for your quick reply and hand-holding ;-)

Considering the server congestion right now at Apple HQ, think I'll wait a day or two just the same -- just in case someone reports major speed bumps re the Safari 6.1 compatibility with 10.7.

Best2U :D

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Because not everyone can (or wants to) upgrade to Mavericks. It's not all that confusing.

What is confusing is why this Safari update on ML is crashing after update. New window and New tab does not work at all.

Read my comment again. I do welcome this and I think they should do it, but that's not the point.

They are introducing new features here, not just security maintenance related ones, which is quite unusual for them. That's all I'm confused about.

dsburdette

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Update not showing here.

I've launched my Mac App Store all day and this update just won't show up for me. I've rebooted my laptop as well but to no avail. Any thoughts on how I can get this 6.1 update?

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
It's out for Lion 10.7, as well. Do correct the title. I was already scared that I won't receive the update!

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
It's out for Lion 10.7, as well. Do correct the title. I was already scared that I won't receive the update!

Hey yes it's out on Lion 10.7. I am on Lion 10.7.5 and Safari is so much faster (really is). So the new safari in my opinion isn't just faster because of Maverick. Its faster for all OS's.

anthonyjr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I've launched my Mac App Store all day and this update just won't show up for me. I've rebooted my laptop as well but to no avail. Any thoughts on how I can get this 6.1 update?

I've been having the same issue. Nothing is showing up on ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.