Apple Releases Safari 6.1 for Mountain Lion With Shared Links, New Sidebar, Power Saver and More

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released Safari 6.1 for Mountain Lion users. The update includes many of the new features added to Safari for Mavericks including Shared Links, Top Sites, and the new Sidebar.

Safari 6.1 is a free download for Mountain Lion users and is available as a software update through the Mac App Store.
    Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6.1 for Mountain Lion With Shared Links, New Sidebar, Power Saver and More

2. troop231 macrumors 603

3. sidparekh macrumors newbie

Safari 6.1

Well, Safari seems better. In fact better and smoother than the Webkit nightly I was on previously. A couple of changes I spotted(except the new top sites page): Right clicking menu on a link now brings Open in new tab as the 1st option as compared to 2nd on previous safari. Also when you open a link in a new tab, the tabs bar has a smooth transition.
    OT: Mavericks on download. Cant wait!:D

4. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

:confused::confused::confused:

Mavericks being free... WHY?

Okay, so you want to stay on OS X ML, but... going by Apple's past logic this is a bit confusing.
    I do welcome this, but I'm just wondering...

Glassed Silver:mac

5. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Love the new safari, but I must admit I'm a bit dissappointed with Apple iCloud keychain access intergration I thought it would be a little more like 1Password, I've tried with a few websites and I always get a message that looks something like this "your password for Ebay could not be saved because Ebay asked us not too"...What's that point!? I've tried with a few websites.

And I can never remember the security number in the back of my credit card, so its a bummer if it remembers everything but that when trying to make purchases because I still have to go get my wallet.. Great work with safari but I'm going to stick with 1Password for now for all my password needs..

6. 1member1 macrumors 6502

wow safari scrolling is so much better on rmbp :O

7. bryanzak macrumors member

In Preferences > Passwords check the option to Allow AutoFill even for websites that request passwords not be saved

8. Supertecnoboff macrumors member

Supertecnoboff

Finally a Safari update which makes Safari nice and responsive again, thank you Apple :)

9. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

it seems like Apple's Achilles heel is still in Web/Cloud Services Features. Alas, when will they learn?

10. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

"Responsive"? You know, there is another adjective you could have used to describe Safari's speed. ;)

11. tipp macrumors regular

Because not everyone can (or wants to) upgrade to Mavericks. It's not all that confusing.

What is confusing is why this Safari update on ML is crashing after update. New window and New tab does not work at all.

12. AriX, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

AriX macrumors 6502

AriX

Apple has always maintained Safari for previous versions of OS X... Safari 6.1 is the first version to not support OS X 10.7 Lion. (Plus, they have been regularly releasing security updates of Safari 5 for OS X 10.6.)

Not all Macs can run Mavericks.

(EDIT: As many people pointed out, OS X 10.7 is actually still supported in Safari 6.1; my bad.)

13. tipp macrumors regular

Safari 6.1 for ML crashes every start

Is anyone else having this issue? Sometimes it stays open for a few minutes, but I am only able to open a single window with one tab and can't load anything beyond that.

14. bryanzak macrumors member

My issue is that it's reporting all of my plugins as having serious security issues and that they are all out of date (in Preferences > Security > Manage Website Settings). Yet they are all current. My wife's laptop isn't have that issue.

15. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Now I'm more confused than ever. My pre-unibody MacBook will definitely NOT run Mountain Lion, hence it won't run Maverick. So why is Software Update offering to download Safari 6.1 to a device running Mac OS X 10.7.5?

What would happen if I were to allow the Safari 6.1 d/l?

Many thanks, O Wise Ones ;-)

16. tipp macrumors regular

This reminded me of what my problem might be. I have Glims installed and they just issued an update a few days ago that provides support for 6.1 and 7, but I hadn't installed it yet. Upgrading to the newest version cleared everything up for me, in case anyone else has similar issues.

17. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

If you are offered it with 10.7 then it is compatible with 10.7

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

All Macs that can run ML can run Mavericks. >_>

19. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Luap, thanks for your quick reply and hand-holding ;-)

Considering the server congestion right now at Apple HQ, think I'll wait a day or two just the same -- just in case someone reports major speed bumps re the Safari 6.1 compatibility with 10.7.

Best2U :D

20. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

Read my comment again. I do welcome this and I think they should do it, but that's not the point.

They are introducing new features here, not just security maintenance related ones, which is quite unusual for them. That's all I'm confused about.

Glassed Silver:mac

21. dsburdette macrumors member

Update not showing here.

I've launched my Mac App Store all day and this update just won't show up for me. I've rebooted my laptop as well but to no avail. Any thoughts on how I can get this 6.1 update?

22. Battlefield 2 macrumors member

Leave. Now.

23. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

It's out for Lion 10.7, as well. Do correct the title. I was already scared that I won't receive the update!

24. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey yes it's out on Lion 10.7. I am on Lion 10.7.5 and Safari is so much faster (really is). So the new safari in my opinion isn't just faster because of Maverick. Its faster for all OS's.

25. anthonyjr macrumors regular

anthonyjr

I've been having the same issue. Nothing is showing up on ML.