Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Where's the empty cache????

I just downloaded on my iMac and there is no longer an empty cache?? Where did it go and how you to empty it now? I went over to my Macbook that still has the older Safari and it's there???

Anyone??

jkelly17

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I just installed the Safari 6 update and now the Safari application crashes every time I try to open it. Does this happen to anyone else?

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
On a side note, does anyone think that the prevalence of the number 6 in recent products (iOS6, Safari 6) implies that the 6th generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6?

I'm sure that many of those who were absolutely sure that an iPhone with an A5 chip and iOS5 would NEVER be called iPhone 4S do...

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
Removing RSS from Safari and Mail really sucks. Half of my friend's blogs were in RSS as well as many of my favorite sites. Bad move Apple!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic]. To show the "Develop" menu in the menu bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and checkmark the box that says "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar."

adream

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic].

thats a really stupid new feature, yet again apple hiding or removing useful and important power user options... i despair :-(

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I have 10.7.4 on my machine and downloaded the safari 6 beta a while ago. I had an issue with the beta a few weeks back. I tried to get the safari 6 update thru Software update and it's not there. Can someone give me a direct link to safari 6 for Lion?

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
thats a really stupid new feature, yet again apple hiding or removing useful and important power user options... i despair :-(

I a thousand years I would never have found that!!???!

----------

"Empty Cache" has now been moved to the "Develop" dropdown menu and it offers the option of "empty caches" [sic] or "disable caches" [sic]. To show the "Develop" menu in the menu bar, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced and checkmark the box that says "Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar."

Thank you. I would NEVER have figured that out. The Develop menu should have been default ON and then you could turn off if you so desired. Who is gonna ever figure that one out??

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Removing RSS from Safari and Mail really sucks. Half of my friend's blogs were in RSS as well as many of my favorite sites. Bad move Apple!

I agree. I really missed it when using the Developer builds of Mountain Lion, but I was hoping it just wasn't added back in yet. I really use it a lot in Safari to notify me of changes to certain forums/posts (like MacRumors, MLBTradeRumors etc.). For example it would place a number (1) in the bookmarks bar when MacRumors posted a new article or when MLBTradeRumors posted an article on my Diamondbacks feed.

Guess I need to find a different method.

jamieg

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Don't update if you use RSS

Really disappointing with the RSS features disappearing from Safari :mad: Woudn't have updated if I'd known. RSS links open up in Mail now. No use for me. Will be switching to Firefox :(

geeman89

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
I have 10.7.4 on my machine and downloaded the safari 6 beta a while ago. I had an issue with the beta a few weeks back. I tried to get the safari 6 update thru Software update and it's not there. Can someone give me a direct link to safari 6 for Lion?

I have the same problem. Hopefully Apple will have a link on the Safari page of their website later.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

I have the same problem. Hopefully Apple will have a link on the Safari page of their website later.

I just called AppleCare and they confirmed that the latest Safari update was not yet on there support website.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Google search bar gone

Google search bar has gone. It's been merged with the main address bar. This is now called smart search field by Apple. I tried customizing the toolbar but I just don't see any option for putting it back. The search functionality is still there, but I just don't like the new layout.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.apple.com/safari/#search

adream

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
Google search bar has gone. It's been merged with the main address bar. This is now called smart search field by Apple. I tried customizing the toolbar but I just don't see any option for putting it back. The search functionality is still there, but I just don't like the new layout.

This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.apple.com/safari/#search

it makes searching for urls or bits of urls a real pain in the arse

fail +1

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
Why can't Safari 6 not handle animated gif's all that well? like Firefox. Some still have black transparency like 5.17 and laggy scrolling while in view.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
One great change is the order of the items listed in the address bar drop-down. Now, bookmarks are listed near the top. This is very welcome, as I usually just type part of the bookmark name to find bookmarks I use infrequently.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Just installed Safari 6 with Lion on my old iMac and have to say it is a MASSIVE improvement for me. Much faster and much smoother. Definitely a step in the right direction :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.