Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 106 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced four years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 106 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, Async Scrolling, Web Animations, CSS, JavaScript, WebRTC, Web API, Media, and Rendering.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina, the newest version of the Mac operating system that was released in October 2019.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 106 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

!!!

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
I'm running Mojave and I've always had to go to Sys Prefs > Software Update to get Safari Tech Preview updates, they never show up in the App Store. Is that exclusive to Catalina or is MR wrong?

Comment

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
Ah I liked that browser, but the removal of 3rd party extensions outside of the MAS was the final nail in its coffin for me. I can’t understand this decision from Apple.

Comment

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
Safari is garbage and it isn't "snappier" either. I can't believe Apple puts its name on this dreck. It's truly the most dreadful browser in existence.

Tell us about it, although we do prefer the "clean" UI, it's starting to look a bit old too, as the rest of the OS, compared to iOS & iPadOS's interface looks.

Many macOS stock apps are in a very sad state, and people wonder why mac users complain that they cripple the platform in favor of mobile toys.

The "tracking prevention" PR is laughable, almost every other browser except Chrome offers a more in-depth privacy control than this crap.

• Disagree
Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Comment

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Ah I liked that browser, but the removal of 3rd party extensions outside of the MAS was the final nail in its coffin for me. I can’t understand this decision from Apple.

Well, the only extensions I care about, blocking ads, and Stop the Madness, work just fine on Safari...

This seems like the same old complaint we ALWAYS hear against Apple.
The (Mac|iPhone|Safari|...) suck because I only have access to two apps that do X and do it well, instead of like Windows|Chrome|Android where I access to five hundred pieces of garbage that all claim to do X.

Comment

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
And yet I completely disagree with you and hate using Chrome or FireFox.
Strange that...

Facebook navigation too intense?
[automerge]1589485995[/automerge]
Well, the only extensions I care about, blocking ads, and Stop the Madness, work just fine on Safari...

The (Mac|iPhone|Safari|...) suck because I only have access to two apps that do X and do it well, instead of like Windows|Chrome|Android where I access to five hundred pieces of garbage that all claim to do X.

Do it well lol, since I couldn't find the /s anywhere I'm gonna assume you don't actually believe that.

Comment

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Facebook navigation too intense?
[automerge]1589485995[/automerge]

Do it well lol, since I couldn't find the /s anywhere I'm gonna assume you don't actually believe that.

I have no idea what Facebook navigation is like in any browser since the last time I opened Facebook was maybe three years ago.

I have no idea what you think I don't actually believe. I do in fact use Safari as my primary browser, with few complaints. I do in fact have two extensions installed, Stop the Madness and AdGuard.
I have in fact seen a consistent pattern, ever since the late 80s, of people considering it to be of more importance that they can run <large number> of lousy apps on some platform than that they can run a single app that works well on a different platform.

Comment

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
I have no idea what Facebook navigation is like in any browser since the last time I opened Facebook was maybe three years ago.

I have no idea what you think I don't actually believe. I do in fact use Safari as my primary browser, with few complaints. I do in fact have two extensions installed, Stop the Madness and AdGuard.
I have in fact seen a consistent pattern, ever since the late 80s, of people considering it to be of more importance that they can run <large number> of lousy apps on some platform than that they can run a single app that works well on a different platform.

Almost any browser, except Chrome, you wouldn't even need AdGuard.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Comment

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
So you're claiming that Chrome, out the box, comes with ad blocking? That doesn't, uh, match, my experience...

Almost any browser "except" Chrome, clearly I failed to deliver the message, so my bad (I edited above).

Comment

MauiPa

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2018
Tell us about it, although we do prefer the "clean" UI, it's starting to look a bit old too, as the rest of the OS, compared to iOS & iPadOS's interface looks.

Many macOS stock apps are in a very sad state, and people wonder why mac users complain that they cripple the platform in favor of mobile toys.

The "tracking prevention" PR is laughable, almost every other browser except Chrome offers a more in-depth privacy control than this crap.
huh?
[automerge]1589491054[/automerge]
sorry haterbois, but I love Safari, almost exclusively use Technology Preview. 0 complaints, works everywhere I browse, great interface. Try a few others (Edge, chrome, canary, Firefox) on occasion, and there is no reason to switch.

Perfectly content in your choice being different than mine, though, so cheers!

Comment

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
I'm actually a pretty big fan of Safari on macOS. It seems to be lean, energy efficient, and all websites work very well within it. The integration with iCloud is very nice too.

I tried some other browsers like Chrome and Firefox for a bit, and couldn't handle the experience on them, so I ended up back on Safari.

Comment

nvmls

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2011
huh?
[automerge]1589491054[/automerge]
sorry haterbois, but I love Safari, almost exclusively use Technology Preview. 0 complaints, works everywhere I browse, great interface. Try a few others (Edge, chrome, canary, Firefox) on occasion, and there is no reason to switch.

Perfectly content in your choice being different than mine, though, so cheers!

Right, working with over 500 macs and having to use other browsers because how bad it is, sounds like a great choice!

Tech Preview 0 complaints? Lol, they've had youtube controls bugged for over 10 versions, something as basic as the dev tools, used to freeze, CSS properties duplicated unexpectedly when added, responsive mode doesn't always pickup the proper sizing, inability to write viewport custom dimensions, much less expect to see them real time while resizing the browser, favicons not displaying even after clearing cache, same with pinned icons, no react built in extensions, audio controls crashing when using several audio sites.

Look at this DOM side layout (you can't even see styles with the DOM or they'll eat most of your panel).

1589492349879.png

This is Chrome's or pretty much any other browser (DOM tree full width - styles below - also box Modal present without having to click a retarded "computed" option)

1589492465448.png

This is how Firefox shows a JS event

1589493479661.png

This is how Safari shows it, you have to click on the element and then "node" at the right, the info displayed is mediocre at best.

1589493614023.png

This one is the iCloud loop, only on Safari, every single browser, no issues. People have to use other browsers to log in to iCloud. You click Ok foes back to loading which ends up in the same popup again, click support get sent to apple support.

1589492837688.png

So user name99 noticed a complaint pattern since the 80s (valuable feedback /s?)
Uses 2 extensions, AdGuard available on most browsers, even though most browsers wouldn't even need it, yet somehow Safari "does it well", but the others offer: "instead of like Windows|Chrome|Android where I access to five hundred pieces of garbage that all claim to do X"

On your end, you've had 0 complains (you've found the perfect browser damn! good for you!).

It's great we have different choices, as long as we are able to choose from.

This is stuff which needs improvement since a long time, stop sucking up the kool-aid so proudly and push the quality forward outside your "haterboi" bubble.
[automerge]1589494861[/automerge]

Reactions: JDGwf
Comment

adrianlondon

macrumors 68030
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Due to Safari not working with uBlock Origin (not uBlock, uBlock Origin - they're different apps) and also not having the type of cookie management I want, I use Firefox. I now prefer the UI of Firefox, and its customisation. I moved to Bitwarden too, as Keychain doesn't work with Firefox. If I ever move back to Safari I'll stick with Bitwarden.

The reason I tried other browsers in the first place is the way Safari refreshes the page when swiping back - mainly on forums such as this one. I don't like the slight delay while it redraws and occasionally jumps around topic lists.

Having said that, Safari is a clean and relatively fast browser so I tend to check out the Tech Preview every few months to see how well it works and if I can switch back. Not yet, but who knows the future.

Comment

tranceking26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Safari works great for me apart from one thing; sometimes the X won't appear in a tab, my workaround is to duplicate, then it forces it to show up.

Comment

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016

Well congratulations that your workflow was not interrupted by Apples decision.

Why are there always people like you defending each and every stupid decision Apple makes? I can totally understand a developer not wanting to pay 99$ /year to publish their free browser extension, but it was not really that hard to switch the browser, after all it is just a browser...

Obviously I like Apple too, otherwise I would not be here, but a few decisions are simply stupid (e.g. why on gods earth can't I remove the AppleTV/Stocks/Podcasts apps on macOS, while I can on iOS? And well, the browser extensions...).

Comment

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Well congratulations that your workflow was not interrupted by Apples decision.

Why are there always people like you defending each and every stupid decision Apple makes? I can totally understand a developer not wanting to pay 99$ /year to publish their free browser extension, but it was not really that hard to switch the browser, after all it is just a browser...

Obviously I like Apple too, otherwise I would not be here, but a few decisions are simply stupid (e.g. why on gods earth can't I remove the AppleTV/Stocks/Podcasts apps on macOS, while I can on iOS? And well, the browser extensions...).

There is a difference between "defending a decision" and "going along with the claim that a particular decision is an outrage".
I don't especially care about Apple's browser plugin decisions either way; it's not a space I follow closely, and I assume Apple has good reasons (performance or security) for making the decision they did.
And THAT is the point
(a) just because you find a decision outrageous doesn't mean everyone else agrees with you.
(b) disagreeing with you doesn't mean strong agreement with Apple's decision; it means disagreeing with the insistence that this is some terrible outrage that is massively inconveniencing the entire Apple ecosystem.

Comment

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I use it as a web inspector for my iOS apps. Sometimes I need to close it and reopen in order to see a simulator, that’s why I prefer STP, don’t feel like closing Safari all the time.
Today I had to copy a network call as curl and paste in the terminal to find out whether it was a POST or a PUT. I couldn’t find the information, maybe it is me...
Chrome is way better for inspecting HTML and debugging JavaScript.

Comment

oni987

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
in times of corona and online teaching / learning ...

Has anyone tested screen sharing in Safari macOS or ipadOS

rofl

Safari is rediculous!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.