Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 108 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced four years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 108 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, Accessibility, Web API, CSS, JavaScript, Scrolling, Rendering, Async Clipboard API, Web Animations, and Media.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina, the newest version of the Mac operating system that was released in October 2019.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 108 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Last edited:

tthomson

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Safari is still quite primitive when compared to Chrome and even Firefox. It’s shockingly poor UI design from a company that usually excels at it. Tab management is horrendous and why is the new tab button at the rightmost corner of the app? Why do I have to move my hand 6 inches to the right to open a new tab when Chrome and Firefox have the (+) right next to the tabs you already have open? It’s ridiculous. And the random glitches and sites that don’t work properly make it unusable. For example, Safari can’t even stay logged into HBO Max. Every time I visit HBO Max it makes me login again whereas Chrome works perfectly. Apple needs to step their game up because the web has left Safari in the dust. Chrome, Firefox, and even Microsoft Edge are simply better. I get good battery life with Chrome too. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Comment

Bite_the_apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
Is there a decent ad blocker similar to uBlock Origin that I can use on Safari yet? Wipr and AdBlock are pretty useless for element blocking.

Reactions: sdz
Comment

firewood

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've found the previous 2 releases of Safari Technology Preview have been crashing fairly often on me, maybe a couple time a day. Hopefully, this update is a bit more stable.

Comment

MisterK

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I had been a Safari diehard since it came out. Chrome has always felt weird to me and Firefox wasn't much better. Now though? Microsoft Edge! I love it so much. It feels nice and performant like Safari but with the extensions and compatibility of Chrome. Best of both worlds. I strongly recommend it.

Comment

avtella

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2016
Is there a decent ad blocker similar to uBlock Origin that I can use on Safari yet? Wipr and AdBlock are pretty useless for element blocking.

OneBlocker X is good for Safari on iOS/MacOS. uBlock Origin I still use on Firefox/Chrome.

Comment

tthomson

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
I had been a Safari diehard since it came out. Chrome has always felt weird to me and Firefox wasn't much better. Now though? Microsoft Edge! I love it so much. It feels nice and performant like Safari but with the extensions and compatibility of Chrome. Best of both worlds. I strongly recommend it.

I think if you don't use many Google services then Edge is a great choice with most of the benefits of Chrome. For me, Chrome is great because I use lots of Google stuff already and everything syncs perfectly.

Comment

pawkor

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Poland
Still broken and unusable for me, I use custom internal domains on my own dns servers and every address I try to use opens in google search. Domains are correct inside my network, curl, ping, nslookup, host and even Firefox works but not Safari.
Reporting bugs is pointless, they just don't care.

Reactions: nvmls and tthomson
Comment

dysamoria

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2011
What actual improvements have been moved to the main Safari?

When did the Netflix audio dropout bug appear? I don't have this problem on my High Sierra iMac 12,2, but my girlfriend has it on her new Catalina MacBook Pro 13" 16,3. I've not seen any solutions other than "use Firefox". Unacceptable.

When will we have a fix for things like iCloud.com refusing to load, despite clearing caches? (clearing caches just gives me a banner I can close with an X, but I still never get the login screen or iCloud.com) I have this problem on my iMac 12,2 with High Sierra, but not [yet] on my MacBook Pro 5,5 with the same OS hacked onto it.

Normally I prefer Safari, because Chrome and Firefox are resource hogs, but the growing regressions in Safari are getting really asinine.

Reactions: tthomson and nvmls
Comment

jabbr

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
Safari is still quite primitive when compared to Chrome and even Firefox. It’s shockingly poor UI design from a company that usually excels at it. Tab management is horrendous and why is the new tab button at the rightmost corner of the app? Why do I have to move my hand 6 inches to the right to open a new tab when Chrome and Firefox have the (+) right next to the tabs you already have open? It’s ridiculous. And the random glitches and sites that don’t work properly make it unusable. For example, Safari can’t even stay logged into HBO Max. Every time I visit HBO Max it makes me login again whereas Chrome works perfectly. Apple needs to step their game up because the web has left Safari in the dust. Chrome, Firefox, and even Microsoft Edge are simply better. I get good battery life with Chrome too. 🤷🏽‍♂️

you gotta start using CMD+T and CMD+W

Comment

ryank425

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
Reactions: Northgrove
Comment

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015

Give NextDNS a try, I find it much better than any of those ads blockers. And assuming you dont serve the Net 24/7. Its free tier should be enough for majority of users.

Comment

smith4925

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Maybe they can fix "Webpage using significant energy in Safari" problem finally. With every update, it keeps coming back.

Comment

claude31

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
Toulouse, France

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced four years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 108 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, Accessibility, Web API, CSS, JavaScript, Scrolling, Rendering, Async Clipboard API, Web Animations, and Media.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina, the newest version of the Mac operating system that was released in October 2019.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 108 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

The information seems wrong: "The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina"

When I open STP on a MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, I get the following alert:
This version of macOS no longer receives updates to Safari Technology Preview.
To continue testing the latest WebKit features and enhancements, upgrade to macOS Catalina in the App Store.

Reactions: Robort
Comment

BulkSlash

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Still broken and unusable for me, I use custom internal domains on my own dns servers and every address I try to use opens in google search. Domains are correct inside my network, curl, ping, nslookup, host and even Firefox works but not Safari.
Reporting bugs is pointless, they just don't care.

I’ve found if I put https:// (or http:// if that’s how you have it configured) before a custom domain then Safari knows to do a DNS lookup. You’ll only need to do it the first time to stop Safari from thinking it’s a search term, from then on it should work.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.