Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced four years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 115 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Audio, JavaScript, Web API, Media, CSS, WebAuthn, Selection API, and WebRTC.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is the built on the new Safari 14 update included in macOS Big Sur with support for Safari Web Extensions imported from other browsers, tab previews, password breach notifications, web authentication with Touch ID, and more.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur, the newest version of the Mac operating system.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 115 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I really wish the application name in the menubar wasn't "Safari Technology Preview" but something shorter like "Safari TP" - the sheer length of that name obliterates many of my menubar items to the extent that I can only access them if I switch to another application (with a shorter name i.e. any other application). The issue is even worse in Big Sur where for inexplicable reasons they spaced the all items in the menubar noticeably further apart. I have forwarded that feedback to Apple, along with many other pieces of feedback over the years, but I'm struggling to recall a single thing that I've ever fed back to them being implemented. A monster-sized company like that always has bigger fish to fry...

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
I really wish the application name in the menubar wasn't "Safari Technology Preview" but something shorter like "Safari TP" - the sheer length of that name obliterates many of my menubar items to the extent that I can only access them if I switch to another application (with a shorter name i.e. any other application). The issue is even worse in Big Sur where for inexplicable reasons they spaced the all items in the menubar noticeably further apart. I have forwarded that feedback to Apple, along with many other pieces of feedback over the years, but I'm struggling to recall a single thing that I've ever fed back to them being implemented. A monster-sized company like that always has bigger fish to fry...
You can always change the application names. The application will still work. Only drawback is that each time when a new version is released, you have to manually download it. Hope this helps.

Reactions: snipper and KeithBN

maneta

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2018
same lag on scrolling when loading content on pages, and also no mute speaker on tabs when media is playing...
I really don't know what are those bug fixes and performance improvements :confused: I really miss safari 13

Last edited:

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
You can always change the application names. The application will still work. Only drawback is that each time when a new version is released, you have to manually download it. Hope this helps.
Just tried that - it doesn't work.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Same thing in latest Big Sur. Is Big Sur’s Safari version that same as this one? I know these are betas, but is Google and Apple fighting it out over tracking?
The Safari error can be solved: Go to Safari preferences, enable developer in the menu bar. under experimental features disable V9 decoder. Restart Safari and youtube should be working again. (taken from another thread)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.