Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari-Technology-Preview-Feature.jpg

Safari Technology Preview release 123 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, CSS, and Web API.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is the built on the new Safari 14 update included in macOS Big Sur with support for Safari Web Extensions imported from other browsers, tab previews, password breach notifications, web authentication with Touch ID, and more.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur, the newest version of the Mac operating system.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 123 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've had this installed forever, but rarely use it. I should use it more, if the feedback that the Safari team gets is automatic. Because I haven't seen any way to send feedback manually.

EDIT: there is a "Help > Report an issue..." menu item.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I've used it for a year or so alongside regular Safari. Its very fast and allows for easy switching between the two....esp. when I want to have the same page/site open on each. Would like to know about the correct way to report issues???

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I've used it for a year or so alongside regular Safari. Its very fast and allows for easy switching between the two....esp. when I want to have the same page/site open on each. Would like to know about the correct way to report issues???
EDIT: there is a "Help > Report an issue..." menu item. This is from coolfactor, post #2

srbNYC

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
With the update, my Start Page seems to default to my iPad instead of my iPhone for iCloud tabs, no matter what I do.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2016
When I read “performance improvements”, naively I think “will run faster”, but usually means everything but that. Let’s focus the description on “fixes, removing and adding features, user interface changes and internal modernization sometimes”. Just not necessarily (usually never) a faster browsing experience to keep the expectations in place. Agree?

bwillwall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
I used Safari as my main browser for a long time until this year. I switched to Chrome because after updating to Big Sur Safari seems to run my mac really hot. It might be YouTube's doing and not just Apple but whatever it is I really started noticing the efficiency hit.

cesko

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
Maybe I should try this to see if I still get the damn HDCP error when viewing Amazon Prime HD content. Get the same error when trying to view my purchased HD movies off ITunes using the awful Apple TV app.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
No, sorry: Meant that my iCloud tabs on STP on my MacBook shows my iPad tabs not my iPhone tabs. And even if I switch it, it reverts back to showing iPad tabs.
I think on 'Tab Overview'(in View Menu) it should show all of your connected devices using the same wi-fi? Mine shows iPhone and iPad also.
Unless you're surfing using the 'Private' setting?

Basic75

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all these articles begin with "Today Apple..." instead of "Apple today..." (or put the designation of time at the end of the sentence)? Because I learnt that "Apple today..." is not correct English.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.