Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari-Technology-Preview-Feature.jpg

Safari Technology Preview release 131 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, CSS, Web API, JavaScript, Platform Features, Media, Web Audio, WebRTC, Payment Request, WebCrypto, Accessibility, and Rendering. Apple warns that Tab Groups do not sync in this release.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is built on the Safari 15 update included in macOS Monterey, and as such, it includes several Safari 15 features. There's a new streamlined tab bar with support for Tab Groups to organize tabs, along with improved support for Safari Web Extensions.

Live Text allows users to select and interact with text in images on the web, but the macOS Monterey beta and an M1 Mac is required. There's also Quick Notes support for adding links and Safari highlights to remember important information and ideas.

Other updates include WebGL 2 and new HTML, CSS, and JavaScript features.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's set to release this fall.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 131 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

diamondsw

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
I expect this is the same version that shipped in the latest Monterey developer/public beta. As such, I also assume that the UI tweaks and concessions that have been happening over on iOS are still largely absent on macOS, and we have stuff like... this (tab bar strangely sandwiched between the address bar and favorites bar):
Screen Shot.png

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
WebGL 2.0 has taken a truly ridiculous length of time to land in Safari compared to other browsers. But the nightmare is almost over!

MauiPa

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2018
Tab bar still extremely buggy, sidebar stuff still not fixed.
Just revert to Safari 12.0 design, pls.
I'm not seeing any "buggy". Supports both the compact and separate tab format in preferences. works fine. I would encourage you to add specificity to your concerns, not saying that you are, but some posters just throw stuff out to what sticks, true or not. Like I said, it works fine and it sounds like you just prefer a different UI, that's fine too

Reactions: BulkSlash

MauiPa

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2018
WebGL 2.0 has taken a truly ridiculous length of time to land in Safari compared to other browsers. But the nightmare is almost over!
webgl 2 has been available for awhile under experimental features

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2021
I'm not seeing any "buggy". Supports both the compact and separate tab format in preferences. works fine. I would encourage you to add specificity to your concerns, not saying that you are, but some posters just throw stuff out to what sticks, true or not. Like I said, it works fine and it sounds like you just prefer a different UI, that's fine too

Just play around with it and you'll find them, doesn't take long.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvmls

MauiPa

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2018
View attachment 1826126
Just play around with it and you'll find them, doesn't take long.

View attachment 1826132
I guess it would be more helpful if the specifics of what is going wrong with yours, or maybe some buggy web sites, because I use technology preview as my sole browser, and have 0 problems. Not to say the web sites you are using aren't using something that I don't use. But 0 bugs for me, admittedly I don't tax a browser all that much

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2021
I wouldn't care much if it was technology preview that's like this, all the same stuff is reproducible on "stable" safari too though.

Reactions: nvmls

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
webgl 2 has been available for awhile under experimental features
Didn't fully work, and besides it's meaningless for use in products if it's not enabled by default for the general population

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Are you one of those who "throw stuff"? Because this browser is objectively not "fine".

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
I know this probably will strike all of you as one of those "d'oh!" comments, but as someone who been with Apple Macs et al since 1988, and all through the port and chip changes (I love getting out my 2010 MBP" 17" matte screen with all those port options! -- no dongles required!).

But because of my graphic design business, I tend to wait quite a while before upgrading to the latest Mac OS. A lot of that has to do with the expenses of upgrading my software, and lately I just don't have enough clients or money coming in to justify the thousands on software upgrades, not to mention I will never see an M1 on my desktop in my life.

Anyway, enough of that. I came here to ask the question: Is Safari the ONLY Browser that only provides the latest version(s) with the latest OS upgrades? Firefox and Google Crime (I mean, Chrome) do eventually required OS 10.9 or 10.11 or whatever, but Apple just immediately demands that you if want the newest version of Safari, you must upgrade to 10.14 or 11 or even 12. (edit: Sorry, I left out 10.15! D'oh!)

Why? What's so special about Safari versus the features of Firefox? (I only use Chrome as a last resort.) I see announcements for the Technology Preview version of Safari "131", and I don't understand why, if you have at least 10.13 installed, you can't get the latest upgrades to Safari?

I personally just don't like being railroaded into spending all this money just to make Tim Cook's stockholders happy, when most of the time all of the bugs aren't even worked out by the time the next yearly OS version is released.

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Aw, still no tab group sync.

I'm guessing this won't ship until after iOS 15. Maybe not until Monterey?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It looks like the compact tab is broken in this update, the address bar can't be focused when you do CMD+T or CMD+L. I had to restart after changing to separate tabs option to fix this.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Anyway, enough of that. I came here to ask the question: Is Safari the ONLY Browser that only provides the latest version(s) with the latest OS upgrades? Firefox and Google Crime (I mean, Chrome) do eventually required OS 10.9 or 10.11 or whatever, but Apple just immediately demands that you if want the newest version of Safari, you must upgrade to 10.14 or 11 or even 12. (edit: Sorry, I left out 10.15! D'oh!)

Why? What's so special about Safari versus the features of Firefox? (I only use Chrome as a last resort.) I see announcements for the Technology Preview version of Safari "131", and I don't understand why, if you have at least 10.13 installed, you can't get the latest upgrades to Safari?

I personally just don't like being railroaded into spending all this money just to make Tim Cook's stockholders happy, when most of the time all of the bugs aren't even worked out by the time the next yearly OS version is released.

Safari 15 will be available for Big Sur and Catalina, just like they offered Safari 14 for previous two macOS releases and same for Safari 13 and so on. Apple limit the official support to two or three macOS recent releases. They don't really care about backward compatibility unlike MS with Windows where it is an important feature.

The reason that Safari is linked to macOS upgrades is that Apple integrates Safari with other frameworks on a deeper level to optimize it for battery life and performance; stuff like Metal and CoreUI. The newer versions of the system frameworks are not backported to previous macOS versions, so Apple limits them as much as possible to reduce regressions and QA/CS work. That's why it's not just Safari that's being linked to macOS, it's everything else as well; including iCloud, Mail, Music, TV, Notes, etc. They're all upgraded once a year.

Do Apple have to do this? No. Apple wants to move the whole tech stack further faster and drop backward compat stuff much faster than other companies. They can't drop support in a minor OS version, which is why they do major OS versions instead.

Is it the best way of doing things? Well, it is working for Apple in this case given how much of their iOS users are upgrading rapidly compared to any other markets.

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Safari 15 will be available for Big Sur and Catalina, just like they offered Safari 14 for previous two macOS releases and same for Safari 13 and so on. Apple limit the official support to two or three macOS recent releases. They don't really care about backward compatibility unlike MS with Windows where it is an important feature.

The reason that Safari is linked to macOS upgrades is that Apple integrates Safari with other frameworks on a deeper level to optimize it for battery life and performance; stuff like Metal and CoreUI. The newer versions of the system frameworks are not backported to previous macOS versions, so Apple limits them as much as possible to reduce regressions and QA/CS work. That's why it's not just Safari that's being linked to macOS, it's everything else as well; including iCloud, Mail, Music, TV, Notes, etc. They're all upgraded once a year.

Do Apple have to do this? No. Apple wants to move the whole tech stack further faster and drop backward compat stuff much faster than other companies. They can't drop support in a minor OS version, which is why they do major OS versions instead.

Is it the best way of doing things? Well, it is working for Apple in this case given how much of their iOS users are upgrading rapidly compared to any other markets.
I wonder if Apple would start doing the same thing for iOS, ie decoupling Safari from the OS upgrades. Apple said they will continue supporting iOS14 alongside iOS15.

SFjohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Everybody running Safari Web Previews should get medals. That stuff is buggy as hell. I’m staying with regular old Safari releases that actually work.

Reactions: TheYayAreaLiving

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
I haven't found most Safari TPs to be noticeably less reliable than their regular releases.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Why? What's so special about Safari versus the features of Firefox?

Updating Safari update WebKit, which in turn gets used by other apps. This means their releases aren't just relevant for Safari itself, but they also have to ensure that any app that uses WebKit (which could well be half if not more of the apps you use) also remains compatible.

That's not true of Firefox or Chrome. You can embed Chrome (CEF) in apps, which is what Electron apps do, but then you actually embed a specific version in them; you don't get Chrome's updates.

Apple backports Safari for two macOS release. Could they do so for more? Probably, with more engineering efforts and perhaps some tradeoffs, sure.

It's not really a ploy to make shareholders rich, though. Like, sure, Apple could increase the team size of Safari and then offer Safari for more older releases. They could also increase the team size of macOS and then find ways to offer macOS for older Mac hardware. But at the end of the day, everything in engineering is about tradeoffs, and this is the cutoff they've been going with.

Reactions: SFjohn

SFjohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
I haven't found most Safari TPs to be noticeably less reliable than their regular releases.
I’m happy to hear that. It’s super cool that it works for you. That’s awesome. For me I’ll stay in the slow lane. I got burned really bad a long time ago, so I’m unwilling to go there again. However if it’s running well for many of you I suspect those new features will make it into plain Safari sooner than later… 🙃

Reactions: TheYayAreaLiving

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
I’m happy to hear that. It’s super cool that it works for you. That’s awesome. For me I’ll stay in the slow lane. I got burned really bad a long time ago, so I’m unwilling to go there again.

To be clear, I didn't mean to invalidate your experience — just that mine, luckily, has been better. (And I do some web dev so it's useful for me — not just so I can get a sneak peek at new UI features, but also to test new web specs.)

However if it’s running well for many of you I suspect those new features will make it into plain Safari sooner than later… 🙃

I expect all of this to be rolled into Safari 15, and for that to ship with Monterey, presumably in October. So about six weeks from now.

And yeah, aside from the controversial tab change (which have mostly been corrected, but still aren't ideal IMHO), and for missing tab groups sync (which makes the feature a lot less useful for me, but which will presumably launch later this year when it's stable), I would say recent Safari TPs are perfectly reliable and Safari 15.0 should launch quite well.

Reactions: SFjohn

verdi1987

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Is anyone else finding that Tech Preview 131 is ignoring having "Use Touch ID for Password Autofill" unselected? It is forcing Touch ID for me. Regular Safari is working as expected when Password Autofill is not selected for Touch ID.

I'm on the latest Monterey beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.