Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari-Technology-Preview-Feature.jpg

Safari Technology Preview release 132 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, CSS, JavaScript, Web API, WebRTC, Rendering, Media, and Web Extensions. Apple says that Tab Groups do not sync in this release.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is built on the new Safari 15 update included in macOS Monterey, and as such, it includes several Safari 15 features. There's a new streamlined tab bar with support for Tab Groups to organize tabs, along with improved support for Safari Web Extensions.

Live Text allows users to select and interact with text in images on the web, but the macOS Monterey beta and an M1 Mac is required. There's also Quick Notes support for adding links and Safari highlights to remember important information and ideas.

Other updates include WebGL 2 and new HTML, CSS, and JavaScript features.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's set to release this fall.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 132 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

vagos

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Just installed and iCloud tabs are now gone. Is it the same for anyone else?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
WebKit/Safari is without question the weakest link in iOS. A new iPhone has to be purchased every 5 years or so just to be able to use the Internet since WebKit is built into the OS

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Did they fix the Sidebar? Does it still go all the way to the top of Safari or did they fix it so that you can leave the Sidebar open on the Start Page?

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
Last edited:

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
This is random but here it goes…

StreamYard does not support Safari on the web to access their services. They told me that it (Safari) causes certain bugs with their platform (which uses WebRTC).

Has anybody heard anything about this? I’m a little perplexed that Safari causes issues with them. I have to use Google Chrome to video chat on my M1. Feels redundant.

I see Apple is making improvements for WebRTC. Hopefully they can fix whatever issues Safari is causing with StreamYard

shabie1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
Woodstock, CT / Chatham, MA
On this and the previous build of the Safari Tech. Preview, running on the latest Monterey beta on an M1 MBP, it crashes for me any time a video is made full screen (i.e. YouTube, Netflix, etc.). Is anyone else experiencing this? I saw one person on Reddit discussing having the same issue with the last build but I can't find the post now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.