Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari-Technology-Preview-Feature.jpg

Safari Technology Preview release 137 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for Web Inspector, CSS, JavaScript, WebAssembly, Experimental Model Element, Accessibility, Web API, Content Security Policy, Media, Apple Pay, and Web Extensions.

The current Safari Technology Preview release is built on the Safari 15.4 update and it includes Safari 15 features introduced in macOS Monterey. There's a new streamlined tab bar with support for Tab Groups to organize tabs, along with improved support for Safari Web Extensions. Apple in Safari Technology Preview 135 added 120Hz refresh rates for the new 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

Live Text allows users to select and interact with text in images on the web, but macOS Monterey and an M1 Mac is required. There's also Quick Notes support for adding links and Safari highlights to remember important information and ideas. The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS Big Sur and macOS Monterey, the newest version of the Mac operating system.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 137 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I wonder when WebGPU will be back? There are some demos/examples on the web, but in the current Safari, you’re not able to enable WebGPU.

Reactions: shurcooL

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I’m hoping Apple will do whatever they need to do to so StreamYard will enable support for Safari on Mac.

StreamYard tells me that Safari causes issues with WebRTC so they disabled support. Not sure what needs to happen but waiting, nonetheless…

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
What does WebGPU do for us?
It’s an API that exposes the capabilities of GPU hardware for the Web.
Here’s an article that starts by defining the difference between WebGL and WebGPU.
One area that may benefit, for example, is browser based games.

EDIT: And, as someone else here mentioned in another thread, it was proposed by Apple and they said it works like Metal, thus increasing the number of Metal aware developers as a side-effect.

Last edited:

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Wow, this technology preview release really does add 120hz, even on the released macOs 12.1! Side by side this preview vs. the 12.1 release-included safari shows a BIG difference in scrolling, particularly when browsing macrumors. I was going to install macOS 12.2 beta, but glad I tried this first!

Reactions: Kylo83 and arfung

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Safari needs all the help it can get.

Attention.. it should have all the attention it warrants, because Safari is one of the core experiences in macOS. It is not a side project. That a lot of it can be buggy is Apple taking consumer tolerance towards software for granted.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Just like the rest of Apple's Software. (Music, Podcasts...)

This is true. How strong the foundations of macOS must be to have allowed them to coast on it for this long while continually screwing things up (and fixing, too). I do wish they paid real attention to macOS experience.

Messages come to mind. It is a joke on both iOS and macOS, but on macOS it is plain pathetic. I cannot, even after multiple macOS iterations, delete multiple message threads in one go. My messages do not sync between devices - incoming works, outgoing works, but I have to delete on every device manually - deletion does not sync.

Music - people made iTunes the butt of several jokes and memes, maybe rightly so, but the Music app is no better. It has lost its simplicity on both macOS and iOS. I often find myself hunting.

Podcasts, can't say as I do not use it.

Dater

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I really do have problems with safari right now. On iOS and also on MacOS. Some button or forms don't work occasionally. Anyone else noticed this problem?

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
On my iPad (latest iOS) 12" Pro. Safari stalls every now and than. Page loading takes forever. Kill Safari App, restart it - the same page loads within a blink of an eye.

Other pages don't work neither on Safari iOS or on Safari macOS. Cookie banners are often rendered invisible. Firefox, Chromium and Edge work flawlessly.

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Ha. Been a while for that one. We’ll played.

Do we happen to know the origin of that phrase? I would love to know who first penned that. I want to say it could have been as long ago as 15 years - maybe more - and I’m 100% certain they meant it. To think how far it has traveled. Kind of one of the earlier memes. If not one of the more organic.
Changelogs from Safari updates in years past included it. It became a huge joke here.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2018
On safari preview uncheck prefer page rendering updates near 60fps and then fully quit safari and restart. You should see 120fps on ufotest

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Full screen videos in Reddit half fixed. Like literally. You now see half the video in the top half of the screen over a full screen window of the site itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.