Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari-Technology-Preview-Feature.jpg

The current Safari Technology Preview release is built on the Safari 16 update and it includes features coming in macOS Ventura. It adds support for Live Text in videos and images, new web technologies, web push Passkeys, improved Safari Web Extensions, and more, with Apple's notes below.
Many of the new Safari 16 features are now available in Safari Technology Preview 147:

• Live Text. Select and interact with text in videos or translate text in images on the web in macOS Ventura betas on Apple Silicon-based Macs.
  • Web technologies. Experience and test the HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and other web technologies that are available in Safari 16 Beta and included in previous Safari Technology Preview releases.
  • Web Push. Send notifications to people who opt-in on your website or web app with Safari Technology Preview on macOS Ventura betas.
  • Passkeys. Preview the new type of phishing-resistant credential that makes signing in to websites safer and easier. Available through Safari's WebAuthn platform authenticator. To learn more about passkeys, see Meet passkeys.
  • Improved Safari Web Extensions. Test out API improvements including the ability to open a Safari Web Extension popover programmatically.
  • Web Inspector Extensions. Build custom tooling or convert existing developer tools extensions to use in Web Inspector.
  • Flexbox Inspector. Use the new visualization overlay in Web Inspector to help you more quickly and easily understand the layout of elements with Flexbox. It marks both the free space and gaps between flex items to reveal how they affect the result.
  • Shared Tab Groups, syncing for Tab Groups, Website Settings, and Web Extensions are not enabled in this release.

The new build of Safari Technology Preview is compatible with machines running macOS 13 Ventura, unlike prior versions of Safari Technology Preview. Updates to Safari Technology Preview are no longer available for macOS Big Sur, according to Apple.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 147 With macOS Ventura Features

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Let's see what happens when installed. I find one of my biggest challenge is how web browser usage sucks up so much memory. I have this page open and one other and that is taking up to 1.4 gigs. The caching has no constraints. I would like to see the ability to set a limit for the browser. If I have 4-8 pages/tabs open, it will bring my art app to a halt. Thoughts?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I wonder how much Konqueror code still lives inside Safari?
According to Wikipedia (and this matches my memory of the events: "WebKit consisted of WebCore (based on Konqueror's KHTML engine) and JavaScriptCore (originally based on KDE's JavaScript engine, named KJS)." So, if I understand correctly, nothing of Konqueror itself was used, rather it was KHTML; and, that code all went into WebKit, which is open source and up on the web. You could go run some comparisons to determine how much code overlap there is now, which would depend on what standards you use for measuring, I suppose.

ArrayDecay

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
According to Wikipedia (and this matches my memory of the events: "WebKit consisted of WebCore (based on Konqueror's KHTML engine) and JavaScriptCore (originally based on KDE's JavaScript engine, named KJS)." So, if I understand correctly, nothing of Konqueror itself was used, rather it was KHTML; and, that code all went into WebKit, which is open source and up on the web. You could go run some comparisons to determine how much code overlap there is now, which would depend on what standards you use for measuring, I suppose.
I’m pretty sure this book where I read about Konqueror/KHTML/Safari. It’s a good read; highly recommended.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Wow Big Sur has already been thrown under the bus:confused:

I didn't want to believe you.. Apple is pretty cutthroat these days!

Safari Technology Preview Release 147 is now available for download for macOS Monterey 12.3 or later and macOS Ventura beta. Updates to Safari Technology Preview are no longer available for macOS Big Sur. If you already have Safari Technology Preview installed, you can update in the Software Update pane of System Preferences on macOS Monterey, or System Settings under General → Software Update on macOS Ventura.

• Sad
Reactions: JosephAW

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I didn't want to believe you.. Apple is pretty cutthroat these days!

Safari Technology Preview Release 147 is now available for download for macOS Monterey 12.3 or later and macOS Ventura beta. Updates to Safari Technology Preview are no longer available for macOS Big Sur. If you already have Safari Technology Preview installed, you can update in the Software Update pane of System Preferences on macOS Monterey, or System Settings under General → Software Update on macOS Ventura.
I believe that Ventura will be the last Intel macOS, And if it’s anything like the way they did Leopard for the PowerPC it’ll be a steaming pile of dung. 💩

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I believe that Ventura will be the last Intel macOS, And if it’s anything like the way they did Leopard for the PowerPC it’ll be a steaming pile of dung. 💩
I don't think so considering they sold Intel iMac's as late as 2020. They are supposed to support it for 5 years (down from 7), Ventura would be 3 years in, so at LEAST the OS after Ventura should support Intels

Reactions: JosephAW

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
It mentions Live text in videos and translating text on images. Both are new features.
I did a text search on a webpage last night (safari 15.5) and it actually highlighted text within an image, which was pretty cool. I thought that was a AS feature only. Apple is just confusing and frustrating everyone with their pettiness these days

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
It mentions Live text in videos and translating text on images. Both are new features.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my comment. It’s in reference to MacRumors‘ writing —not to Apple’s release notes. Notice that it says: ”It adds support for Live Text in videos and images […].”

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Now that we are at MacOS 12.4, the OS is useful. The last hurrah will probably be 12.5. Too bad we will soon be forced to blunder into 13.0 and start the "stomp the Gremlins all over again. Being a late adopter has a few benefits.

The Intel Mac mini and Mac Pro are both still for sale one the Apple website. I expect the Intel Mini to be configured with a M2 before year end. Not sure about a "M series" MacPro. I think Apple would have to support Intel for at least three years after the last Intel powered device gets sold.

After September/October when all new MacOs devices ship with 13.x, then the clock starts ticking down for 12.5 support to end....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.