Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 28 With Power and Performance Improvements

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced one year ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 28 includes fixes and improvements for CSS, JavaScript, Web API, Web Inspector, WebDriver, Accessibility, Media, Rendering, WebCrypto, Security, and AppleScript. Today's update also includes several tweaks to improve power and performance:
    The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 28 With Power and Performance Improvements

2. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

3. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

How about fixing the Safari bugs introduced around El Capitan? Like the mouse cursor change bugs...

4. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Meh -_-

The score don't bother me too much, it's the performance that does. Chrome is much faster all around on my Mac.

Attached Files:

5. busuan macrumors newbie

6. TurboPGT! macrumors 65832

7. isomorphic macrumors regular

It'd be even faster without all that tracking data it sends back to Google. ;)

8. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

To me, the most appealing part about this app is the purple Safari logo. Otherwise, it's a total snooze fest.

9. KingOfStuff macrumors member

KingOfStuff

Agree. It should be called Safari Bug Fix Preview.

10. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Imagine a world without Safari. It's the browser that really set the new standard for browsers while Firefox was losing its shine. Chrome was inspired by it.

11. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I like Safari Technology Preview, and use it as my default browser. I'm glad to see them addressing resource issues.

I'd like to see a per-tab switch in the toolbar (it could be optional and disabled by default) that controls javascript execution for that tab - if the switch is set to off, javascript is paused for that tab. Have an option so that un-visited tabs (opened in the background, when the browser is restarted) can be defaulted to off, so nothing spins up until I bring that tab front-and-center. The number of tabs that I want running javascript while I'm not actively looking at them is vanishingly small, and I can go click the checkbox on those manually.

Also, animated gifs in Safari seem to hit the CPU absurdly hard (adafruit.com, a maker and seller of all sorts of cool electronic parts and kits, seems especially fond of using animated gifs, and if I command-click a dozen or so interesting links into the background, it spins up my MBP's fans to no useful end) - if the image isn't visible on my screen, it shouldn't get any cpu time.

12. nvmls macrumors regular

nvmls

Riiight, 90% of the world seems surreal, the power of imagination. Also if by any chance a STP dev is reading this, if you are gonna map the inspector responsive mode key shortcut as cache reset re-load, maybe you can re-map responsive mode to something else? cause maybe you know.. people used it.

Also, keep up the good work on horizontal tab management, after 28 versions it's still as buggy as the the 1st, I'd do a video but sadly time requires me in other areas.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 6.15.00 PM.png

13. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

It's amazing because Chrome is an absolute POS on Linux and from my own testing on OS X lags like a mother. FF is a bag of hurt all around, and often can't decode JPEG correctly.

14. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Must depend on the machine configuration I guess. I run safari without any plugins (no java or flash) and I get jerky scrolling on some websites, but the same sites are perfectly smooth on chrome.

15. Mizhou, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

Mizhou macrumors newbie

I wish the same for Safari pages minimised to the dock. In fact if I start Safari and restore my session, there is no need to load those webpages at all. Safari could just cache a thumbnail, URL and the title of the page, so that the thumbnails in the dock show something but a blank icon, and also the title of the page, and then just load the entire page when I bring the page up from dock.

16. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Fantastic. Facebook and other tabs have been using silent audio to keep tabs active rather than being App Napped/backgrounded for no good purpose that benefits users, I'm sure.

17. Lgswe, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Lgswe macrumors newbie

The only plugin I have on Safari and Safari Technology is AdBlock and FB cleaner.Runs verry smooth and fast too.No problem white scrolling on web page.Have used Safari Technology since no6 just gets better.HTML test score is not all