Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced one year ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 31 includes fixes and improvements for Web API, Javascript, Layout and Rendering, CSS Grid, Font Variations, Web Inspector, Media, Web Driver, WebCrypto, and Security.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 31 With Bug Fixes and Feature Improvements

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hopefully it fixes the HTML5 bug where videos won't play when Javascript is disabled I filed a Radar for.

Edit: It doesn't. Sigh.

Reactions: JamesPDX

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
WebRTC support, please. And support for input type=date. Cuz, you know, 2017. And if there *is* a Santa Claus, how about h265 support. And if Ms. Claus wears black stockings, how about WebVR. :apple:

Wonder Warthog

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
WebRTC yet???

That was the first thing I was searching for on the Webkit page: "RTC". Unfortunately the only hit was on "keyboard shoRTCut". Damn!

Anyway. I'm back on Safari as my main browser, it's so much cleaner. The usability is great. Keyboard shortcuts up the yingyang and runs circles around Chrome. It's only a shame that I can't sync bookmarks or browsing history with my Nexus…

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
To bad it doesn't support the Calomel SSL Validation nor the No Script® extensions. It also occurs to me that Apple should be distributing a free VPN browser, or a "Flash Router" type of patch for all of those AEBS units Apple sold.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
To bad it doesn't support the Calomel SSL Validation nor the No Script® extensions. It also occurs to me that Apple should be distributing a free VPN browser, or a "Flash Router" type of patch for all of those AEBS units Apple sold.
Well, there is OS X Server with the VPN service, which I'm using. Convenient when I need LAN access and secure when I'm on sketchy wifi.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Blah, blah, blah, "Chrome is superior, I don't care if it sends my shoe size to Google," blah.

Ungoogled-Chromium shares none of your information with Google.
Unfortunately I still find myself forced to use Chromium occasionally, because Safari often sucks at implementing web standards, and lacks codec support.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Unfortunately I still find myself forced to use Chromium occasionally, because Safari often sucks at implementing web standards, and lacks codec support.

I actually use Ungoogled Chromium regularly. But make no mistake: Google is first and foremost an advertising company, and to support that they need as much data about consumer behavior as possible. Therefore projects like Ungoogle Chromium will always have an uphill battle--in fact they are starting from below ground, having to remove spyware integrated at a fundamental level.

For example, have you tried to install an extension in Ungoogled Chromium? Yeah, not so much; you can't use the Google Play store. Even if you get one manually installed, it won't necessarily work well.

Google is evil. I'd recommend Firefox but Mozilla seems dead-set on repeatedly making hostile decisions toward their users. That really does leave Safari as the only reasonable mainstream production browser, WebRTC support or not.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Wonder Warthog

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Doesn't that also remove bookmark, history and other synching? Makes it rather useless then. I'd rather then start using Brave, it's Chrome-based has a built in ad-blocker and offers synching via a very creative use of the blockchain (no servers needed).

(On a sidenote: it's in early beta and buggy as hell, but one can hope…)

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Bug Fixes and Improvements sound like a step forward.

However every time I update something gets broken. Youtube Videos freeze when fast forwarding after some time.
Opera Beta is far more consistent. And then comes Chromium.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
make no mistake: Google is first and foremost an advertising company, and to support that they need as much data about consumer behavior as possible.

Uh, yeah. How would anyone who recommends Ungoogled-Chromium make this mistake?

Therefore projects like Ungoogle Chromium will always have an uphill battle--in fact they are starting from below ground, having to remove spyware integrated at a fundamental level.

This is not true, Ungoogled-Chromium is not the first such project and it already does pretty much everything it should.

For example, have you tried to install an extension in Ungoogled Chromium? Yeah, not so much; you can't use the Google Play store. Even if you get one manually installed, it won't necessarily work well.

Uh, you sure you've used it? Extensions work perfectly fine and (almost all of them) have nothing to do with the Google integration. Only initial installation of extensions is somewhat cumbersome, but is in no way a hurdle. Especially with one of the userscripts.

Google is evil.

Here we agree.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Does anyone know how long it takes for the changes into these technology previews to make into release versions of Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.