Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 34 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced one year ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 34 includes fixes and improvements for Media, JavaScript, Security, Web Inspector, Web API, WebCrypto, WebAssembly, Rendering, and Accessibility. Today's update also moves WebRTC options from the Experimental Features menu to the developer menu and introduces WebRTC improvements and fixes.

With Safari 11 now available to developers through the macOS High Sierra beta, Apple is providing two versions of Safari Technology Preview, one for macOS Sierra users and one for those using macOS High Sierra.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 34 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
not this time apple, you can't lure me back into trying tech preview anymore after all the times i tried and ended up deleting it again a week later after all the issues it had ;)

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Looks like they finally fixed the seeking issue in YouTube videos.
You mean where you seek forward or back a bit and it freezes the video while the sound continues to play for a bit and then it goes all keystone cops for a moment, zipping through the video to catch up? If so, this is very good to hear - that's been driving me nuts.
[doublepost=1498690759][/doublepost]
not this time apple, you can't lure me back into trying tech preview anymore after all the times i tried and ended up deleting it again a week later after all the issues it had ;)
Huh. I've been running it for over a year as my primary browser, and aside from the recent youtube seeking issue, I've been fairly pleased with it.

Comment

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
You mean where you seek forward or back a bit and it freezes the video while the sound continues to play for a bit and then it goes all keystone cops for a moment, zipping through the video to catch up? If so, this is very good to hear - that's been driving me nuts.
[doublepost=1498690759][/doublepost]Huh. I've been running it for over a year as my primary browser, and aside from the recent youtube seeking issue, I've been fairly pleased with it.

yeah it had tons of video issues just not playing right or at all, seeking syncing audio and video, etc. but the thing that killed it for me was every minute or so it would pop up the 'this page reloaded because ...' power or a problem in one way or another. tried clearing cache, disabling everything etc. nothing helped.

Reactions: Killa Aaron
Comment

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Media playback manipulation seems fixed finally, thanks for listening.

If by any chance any of the devs check these forums for feedback or if anyone is able to properly forward this someway or the other (apologizes but no time for bugzilla's bug filing procedure) it would be great for the following:

- Toggle flash content to html5 automatically without having to switch to mobile user agent.
- Horizontal tab management, when too many open generates the need to scroll sideways, more often when scrolling to the right, it gets stuck on some of the previous tabs and does not go all the way through to the last one even if you keep clicking to that side, the current fix is simply cmd+t to open a new tab and that makes the scrolling go all the way to the last tab.
- Responsive mode key shortcut, you mapped it to no cache reloading, any chance to re-map responsive mode to something else? it's/was useful.
- Responsive mode sometimes fail to pick up changes, even when reloading, a fix which always work is to shrink the viewport's width to the minimum available and resize back to either phone or tablet dimension options.
- It's clear at this point you do not want favicons on the tabs, ok no problem, but for christ sake can you at least make pinned icon tabs more versatile and dev friendly? (by these i mean, multicolor support and accessibility to modifications of it without having to clear icons cache folder and restarting the browser every time! feels like an ancient JAVA procedure..)
- Fullscreen shot built-in feature? Considering the lack of useful extensions except for paparazzi which works fine, but not very practical to open a separate browser window to take a screenshot and awesome screenshot's malware bundled extension (unbelievable it's still on apple's extensions repo still!), would you consider make this a built-in feature? It would be extremely dev-friendly one could imagine..
- Previous & next page click/swipe it's slow & clunky. If you bear in mind this is your native browser, chrome for being a 3rd party one is abysmally faster and more responsive on these natural gestures/clicks on your own OS.
- Searching directly through the URL bar takes quite a while to load, again, compare with chrome and loading time & responsiveness is abysmal.
- Dark mode. Seems apple will never release it for macOS in the near-future, would you at least consider it for STP?

Thanks in advance for taking consideration into any of these and for your continued efforts, hopefully this will bring some ideas to the table if not already there.

Comment

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Ok well I am trying it out again so they won, but I have gotten a few of those 'page reloaded because its using too much memory' a few times and incidentally once was on macrumors and the other was facebook. i'm guessing what it really means is 'we have a memory leak but we'll blame it on your webpage'

Comment

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
It seems that Netflix can't run in this version, I get error
S7063-1913-109000

It works fine with normal Safari and Chrome.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.