Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced on March 30. Apple uses Safari Technology Preview to test features that may eventually be introduced in the release version of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 4 includes a long list of bug fixes and updates for networking, media, JavaScript, CSS, web APIs, Web Inspector, rendering, and accessibility.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Release notes are available on Apple's Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's goal with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can be run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while aimed at developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 4 With Bug Fixes and Feature Tweaks

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have been using the technology preview version over the standard version of safari. I have not had any significant issues and it runs faster, and that makes me happy. Truly Safari is snappier.

Farthen

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
Germany
Are you really going to make an article for every insignificant beta version of a web browser that is basically just bug fixes?

Reactions: atikalz

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Installed and using as my main browser... so far so good. Exactly what is 'different' about it? Is this a whole new engine or just a few developer tweaks? Looks identical to me so far.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I have been using the technology preview version over the standard version of safari. I have not had any significant issues and it runs faster, and that makes me happy. Truly Safari is snappier.

It's far more advanced. Of course it's going to run faster and more robust.
[doublepost=1463020142][/doublepost]
Installed and using as my main browser... so far so good. Exactly what is 'different' about it? Is this a whole new engine or just a few developer tweaks? Looks identical to me so far.

Lots of new foundation, far more advanced features, better scaling, etc.

https://webkit.org/blog/6210/release-notes-for-safari-technology-preview-4/

https://webkit.org/blog/6161/locking-in-webkit/

Lots of new stuff across the board.

Status support: https://webkit.org/status/

Select the check boxes for what's done, in development, prototyping, etc.

Reactions: 997440

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Are you really going to make an article for every insignificant beta version of a web browser that is basically just bug fixes?

The fact it fixes 1Password not working is huge for people that want this beta version of Safari.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Maybe I need to use it more, but it's been slower than regular Safari for me. Also, I had to force-verify the installation package because it was taking forever to verify for some reason.

neander

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
its a great browser (already).. a bit faster and uses quite less cpu power when quick opening of a few tabs/windows as well. Using it on Mac Mini 2011, 2.7 and 2012 quad core, 2.6 and it has been working fine since version 1.. had to empty caches one time just for spinning wheel issues though.

Using it as my default browser.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.