MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced over two years ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Today's Safari Technology Preview 59 update includes support for Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0, which Apple announced on stage at the Worldwide Developers Conference. The feature prevents social widgets from tracking you without your permission and introduces other tracking prevention updates.

Apple says there are several known issues with the new release on macOS Mojave.

Text does not render properly in the Smart Search Field when in Dark Mode, and customers who are running the update on macOS Mojave beta 2 will need to login to websites when restarting the application or could be required to log in again on some websites when launching a new window.

Safari Technology Preview release 59 also includes bug fixes and feature improvements for Web Animations, Payment Request, JavaScript, Editing, Storage Access API, Security, Service Workers, Compatibility, WebRTC, Web API, Media, Web Inspector, Accessibility, and iCloud Keychain Password Manager.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's currently being beta tested by developers.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in macOS to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 59 With Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
I would tell you what the HTML5 test score is but yep, it just doesn't load.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-20 at 19.17.04.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-20 at 19.17.04.png
    476.6 KB · Views: 172
Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
https://html5test.com returns... nothing. It hangs. (With Safari having all experimental features enabled.)

Safari 12.0 on Mojave doesn't work either.

And...so what, all browsers are somewhere in the same region, they should include a comprehensive list so you actually see which browser is better, for instance-Chrome turns out best in the HTML test but how about power, it used to be a power hog and if that's still the case it's not a good browser for laptops.

Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Been using Safari Tech Preview as my primary browser for a couple weeks now, and it seems very very fast to me. I'm digging it. Haven't hit any big website issues.

That html5test.com website isn't loading in Safari 11.1.1 or release 59 of Safari 12 on my machine.

Comment

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I would tell you what the HTML5 test score is but yep, it just doesn't load.

Yep... this is exactly what happens when the developers use too many design patterns they just learned to try impressing other developers, however it seems to work great since MacRumors is no longer able to track me ;)

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.