Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced over two years ago in March of 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 60 includes bug fixes and feature improvements for Web Animations, Dark Mode, Web Inspector, Media, CSS, WebRTC, Security, Plug-ins, Intelligent Tracking Prevention, WebDriver, and Accessibility.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's currently being beta tested by developers.

Of note, Apple says Safari Technology Preview 60 will crash on launch with the first macOS Mojave developer beta. To avoid crashes, users should upgrade to the second or third beta. Also, after updating to release 60, the homepage preference and the Develop menu preference will be lost.

Safari Technology Preview 59, the prior update, introduced support for Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0, which prevents social widgets from tracking you without your permission and introduces other tracking prevention updates.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 60 With Bug Fixes and Feature Improvements

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
I wonder why they've removed the Develop menu?

Also, 479 out of 555 on HTML5test. Looks like we've regressed.

Edit: ah, you need to re-enable the Develop menu in Preferences.

Reactions: Saipher

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Safari Technology Preview release 60 includes bug fixes and feature improvements for Web Animations, Dark Mode, Web Inspector, Media, CSS, WebRTC, Security, Plug-ins, Intelligent Tracking Prevention, WebDriver, and Accessibility.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that's currently being beta tested by developers.

Of note, Apple says Safari Technology Preview 60 will crash on launch with the first macOS Mojave developer beta. To avoid crashes, users should upgrade to the second beta or higher. Also, after updating to release 60, the homepage preference and the Develop menu preference will be lost.

Safari Technology Preview 59, the prior update, introduced support for Intelligent Tracking Prevention 2.0, which prevents social widgets from tracking you without your permission and introduces other tracking prevention updates.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

You should edit the article, 2 exactly the same sentences(Bolded) and it's also working on beta 3, so higher than beta 1(Marked red)

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Cookie issues are abysmal, sites logging me out with no rhyme or reason, even without closing the browser.
It’s incredibly obnoxious
[doublepost=1530653751][/doublepost]
Is there really no upgrade path for the dozens of so extensions I have installed in regular Safari on High Sierra?
I’ve been able to side load extensions like UBlock Origin and Ghostery. I received a warning these extensions will slow down Safari, but I haven’t noticed anything.

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
Cookie issues should now be fixed with the Mojave Dev Beta 3

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-03 at 22.11.36.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-03 at 22.11.36.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 199

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Is there really no upgrade path for the dozens of so extensions I have installed in regular Safari on High Sierra?

There's no "upgrade path" because the Preview is not an upgrade. The Tech Preview, by design, uses independent extensions, cookies, etc. You have to reinstall them.

Reactions: ignatius345

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Canada

I get 479 even with the developer menu enabled, using https, and turning on all of the experimental features.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

It just means they disabled features to work out ancillary bugs.

This area in particular centers around forms. If anything, I'm wagering they're finally shoring up forms and we'll see a considerable bump in features.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
There's no "upgrade path" because the Preview is not an upgrade. The Tech Preview, by design, uses independent extensions, cookies, etc. You have to reinstall them.
The point is you can't install old extensions in the latest TP, or Mojave.

It’s incredibly obnoxious
[doublepost=1530653751][/doublepost]
I’ve been able to side load extensions like UBlock Origin and Ghostery. I received a warning these extensions will slow down Safari, but I haven’t noticed anything.
Sideload how?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The point is you can't install old extensions in the latest TP, or Mojave.

No. Extensions are fully supported. You're getting extensions confused with NPAPI plugins. Safari is the last major browser to support NPAPI, Chrome dropped in 2015, Firefox dropped in 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.