Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safaripreviewicon.jpg
Apple today released a new update for Safari Technology Preview, the experimental browser Apple first introduced three years ago in March 2016. Apple designed the Safari Technology Preview to test features that may be introduced into future release versions of Safari.

Safari Technology Preview release 74 includes bug fixes and performance improvements for the Fetch API, Web Animations, Web Authentication, WebRTC, Media, CSS, Web API, Service Workers, JavaScript, Accessibility, Web Inspector, WebDriver, Storage, and Security.

The new Safari Technology Preview update is available for both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave, the newest version of the Mac operating system that was released to the public in September.

The Safari Technology Preview update is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store to anyone who has downloaded the browser. Full release notes for the update are available on the Safari Technology Preview website.

Apple's aim with Safari Technology Preview is to gather feedback from developers and users on its browser development process. Safari Technology Preview can run side-by-side with the existing Safari browser and while designed for developers, it does not require a developer account to download.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari Technology Preview 74 With Bug Fixes and Performance Improvements

Reactions: philvid2

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
It says Safari 12.2, so I guess the next upcoming version of Mojave (10.14.4) will have Safari 12.1 included, hopefully with the Dark Mode support.

hiphopdan

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Been having problems with this browser for more than a few of last couple releases, including this one. Gonna have to stick with the regular ol safari.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Been having problems with this browser for more than a few of last couple releases, including this one. Gonna have to stick with the regular ol safari.

yeah the last couple have been sort of freezing in that they stop responding to mouse clicks. also a lot of the dev experimental features tend to break things and it is hard to know which ones are causing it. but even with all of them turned off it is still less stable then regular safari.

Reactions: jazz1 and hiphopdan

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Anyone else having the problem where after a few page clicks it randomly stops responding to mouse clicks entirely until you restart it? Not sure if it is due to a 'experimental feature' I have on or not but it is really annoying. Happens maybe once every 15 minutes of use and seems to be encouraged by going to a webpage and clicking back.

NielsO

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
Anyone else having the problem where after a few page clicks it randomly stops responding to mouse clicks entirely until you restart it? Not sure if it is due to a 'experimental feature' I have on or not but it is really annoying. Happens maybe once every 15 minutes of use and seems to be encouraged by going to a webpage and clicking back.

Yeah I have the exact same problem. But for me it doesn't matter if I use the Safari beta of the stable one.
It's really strange, every time I surf the internet after a sudden time the whole tab just freezes. When I try to refresh the page it takes a while and if I then press refresh again it will force reload the page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.