Apple Releases Second Beta of iOS 11.4 for Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming iOS 11.4 update to its public beta testing group, two weeks after seeding the first beta and three weeks after releasing iOS 11.3, the last major update to the iOS 11 operating system. Today's public beta is identical to the developer beta that was provided to developers earlier this week.

Beta testers who are members of Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 11.4 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

[​IMG]

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. iOS betas are not always stable and should not be installed on a primary device.

The iOS 11.4 beta is much like the iOS 11.3 beta because several key features that were removed from iOS 11.3 ahead of its release have been reintroduced in iOS 11.4.

The update includes support for AirPlay 2 features, allowing you to play the same song on multiple devices and adding the Apple TV and speakers connected to AirPort Express to the Home app.

iOS 11.4 also reintroduces Messages on iCloud. Messages on iCloud was present throughout the iOS 11.3 beta testing period, but it did not make it into release. With Messages on iCloud, your iMessages are stored in iCloud rather than on each individual device, allowing for improved syncing capabilities. Currently, incoming iMessages are sent to all devices where you're signed in to your Apple ID, but there is no true cross-device syncing.

Messages on iCloud will allow you to download all of your iMessages on new devices, and a message deleted on one device will remove it on all devices. Older messages and attachments are also stored in iCloud rather than on-device, saving valuable storage space.

The most recent beta introduces new (PRODUCT)RED wallpaper on the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus and it removes mentions of stereo sound on the HomePod that were present in the first beta.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Beta of iOS 11.4 for Public Beta Testers

2. stanman64 macrumors 6502a

stanman64

If AirPlay 2 and Messages on iCloud aren’t released with iOS 11.4, I’ll eat my hat.

3. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

pops the popcorn....

4. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

How many hats have you eaten since iOS 1?

5. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

I hear hats go well with salsa.

6. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Still having issues with iCloud Music syncing properly :/

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Not to cheat, does anyone have that secret beta 2 Product RED wallpaper they'd like to share?

8. oliversl macrumors 65816

9. gumbyjunior1 macrumors regular

gumbyjunior1

What is a good app to archive the imessages these days? I intentionally keep the messages by my wife and notice it consumes a lot of space now.

10. robantonelli macrumors newbie

robantonelli

Here you go

Attached Files:

11. shipdestroyerrr macrumors newbie

its funny that they're slowing down HomePod orders because they didnt sell as many as expected. meanwhile the actual software to make it work isn't ready yet and they are wondering "wow, didnt sell that many home pods?!"

12. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Thanks!

I miss when Apple took the time to make nice live wallpapers too, like the 6S goldfish. I loved that thing.

13. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

We talking Baseball caps or full blown 10-gallon cowboy hats?

14. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Thank you!

15. Paleworm macrumors newbie

Paleworm

I loved that too! But it was not a goldfish.

16. SRLMJ23 macrumors 68000

SRLMJ23

If they miss 11.4, they probably will not get into iOS 11. We'll have to wait until iOS 12 in the fall.

iOS 11 has been pure hell as far as features not being ready when they were supposed to be. We are pretty close to WWDC and the unveiling of iOS 12, yet iOS 11 STILL does not have all of its features! It is a sad state Apple is in right now.

:apple:
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018 ---
    Almost positive it was a Beta Fish, and I liked those live wallpapers as well.

:apple:

17. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Question about Messages on iCloud: Will I be able to log in to www.icloud.com and use Messages to send and receive text messages like I do now on my Mac (but can't do on Windows)?

18. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

No you will not. That's not part of the feature.

19. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

No. I doubt they'd add it either.

20. thiscatisfat macrumors newbie

thiscatisfat

Do we still have HomePod Stereo in this beta?

21. green94 macrumors regular

Messages in the cloud is working for me in B2 again - i was getting an error message in B1 telling me that my iCloud account and iTunes account were not the same.

22. bsimpsen macrumors member

It's being reported that support for Airplay 2 to AirPort Express has been removed in 11.4 Beta 2

23. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

It is a betta (with 2 “t”). Also known as Siamese fighting fish.

24. enigmatut macrumors member

enigmatut

Boooooo. Damn.

25. NeyfunB macrumors newbie

NeyfunB

I only had 1-2 minutes to check this but my Airport Express was no longer discoverable in the Home app in Beta 2.