Apple Releases Second Developer Preview of Xcode 4

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday released a second developer preview version of Xcode 4 via its developer site. Xcode 4 brings a significant overhaul to Apple's tools for building Mac OS X and iOS applications, including a transition to a single-window application with Interface Builder integrated directly into Xcode.
Xcode is the complete toolset for building Mac, iPhone, and iPad applications - and with Xcode 4, the tools have been redesigned to be faster, easier to use, and more helpful than ever before. The Xcode IDE understands your project's every detail, identifies mistakes in both syntax and logic, and will even fix your code for you. Quite simply, Xcode 4 will help you write better code.

Xcode 4 has a brand new user interface, built upon proven technologies that Apple itself uses to build Mac OS X and iOS, and that have produced over a quarter million Mac, iPhone, and iPad apps.
The first developer version of Xcode 4 was released to developers at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference early last month.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Developer Preview of Xcode 4

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Anyword on the "rumored" marble interface that was reported awhile back?
Seconded. I currently do all my development in VS 2008 then port to XCode and Linux at compilation time. I'd like to switch to XCode for development, but I just prefer VS2008. I'm eager to see if XCode 4 will suit my needs better than 2010, where the Express version at least has been irritating me already. I prefer all in one displays for IDEs, and XCode 3's interpretation of AIO is a mess IMHO.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
XCode 4 looks like its going to take a big step foward. Hopefully as large as the one between ProjectBuilder and XCode.

I'm really looking forward to this. Any know of a possible release date?

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
XCode 4 looks like its going to take a big step foward. Hopefully as large as the one between ProjectBuilder and XCode.

I'm really looking forward to this. Any know of a possible release date?
I think WWDC or a Apple iOS Event Preview (so 2011), Apple will likely make sure they get it right and release that along with the new iOS 5 or Mac OS X 10.7.

Apple is in no rush to hurry something as important as this. A buggy IDE = Fail for Apple and a slow down in iPad iPhone iTouch and Mac Apps.

trojanvillage

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
Toronto
I think WWDC or a Apple iOS Event Preview (so 2011), Apple will likely make sure they get it right and release that along with the new iOS 5 or Mac OS X 10.7.

Apple is in no rush to hurry something as important as this. A buggy IDE = Fail for Apple and a slow down in iPad iPhone iTouch and Mac Apps.
You are quite mistake, this second preview is near feature complete. It needs some polishing, but for the most part it's nearly ready to be shipped.

alexkrishnan

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
FixIt

Has anyone been able to use the "FixIt" feature that they demo'd? When I make a mistake and it gets red-underlined, I can right click on it and choose "Show Fix It…" but nothing happens...

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
You are quite mistake, this second preview is near feature complete. It needs some polishing, but for the most part it's nearly ready to be shipped.
The first preview had a lot of major bugs. It may be near feature complete, but I agree that they need to spend time and ensure the IDE is stable before they make a GM.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Just to check, if I build with Xcode 4 can I submit to iTunesConnect? The SDK isn't in beta so logic says yes but I just want to be sure.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
The first preview had a lot of major bugs. It may be near feature complete, but I agree that they need to spend time and ensure the IDE is stable before they make a GM.
They'll just use fix-it and ship it next week :)

XCode 3 is way old. It was released with Leopard. Since then, we've only really had minor revisions (3.1, 3.2) and very infrequent intervals (3.2 released with snow leopard). I would expect Apple have been working on this for a very long time already.

Many of those features (e.g. the static analyser, which came with 3.2) could very well have been the result of development done for XCode 4.

Since the product was announced which such fanfare at WWDC, I would imagine a release would happen in the next few months. Possibly with the iPad's OS4 update (predicted to be around late August/September).

EDIT: In case anybody was worried, XCode 4 by default installs in to its own folder (/Xcode4) and can co-exist with 3.X. It can open 3.X projects and does not "upgrade" them or make them incompatible with earlier versions.

bballmitch2

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
They'll just use fix-it and ship it next week :)

XCode 3 is way old. It was released with Leopard. Since then, we've only really had minor revisions (3.1, 3.2) and very infrequent intervals (3.2 released with snow leopard). I would expect Apple have been working on this for a very long time already.

Many of those features (e.g. the static analyser, which came with 3.2) could very well have been the result of development done for XCode 4.

Since the product was announced which such fanfare at WWDC, I would imagine a release would happen in the next few months. Possibly with the iPad's OS4 update (predicted to be around late August/September).

EDIT: In case anybody was worried, XCode 4 by default installs in to its own folder (/Xcode4) and can co-exist with 3.X. It can open 3.X projects and does not "upgrade" them or make them incompatible with earlier versions.
This is true, but Apple has also said NOT to use Xcode 4 if you are working on a project you wish to submit to the app store.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
They obviously think that the current IDE = fail, if they are releasing a total overhaul of the UI.

Making the IDE better will help them bring in new developers.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Awww, free session videos and now Xcode 4 for everyone? I feel non exclusive :(.

Ah well, it's nice to know that they're still releasing betas of Xcode 4.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
It was quite buggy after using it today for a while. Crashing, beach balls, slow, lots of UI bugs, missing features, etc. No where near the quality of Xcode 3.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
They obviously think that the current IDE = fail, if they are releasing a total overhaul of the UI.

Making the IDE better will help them bring in new developers.
Xcode 3 is still a serviceable IDE, far from a "fail". The fact is it's been around since 2003 and definitely needed a refresh.

Hopefully the final release of 4 will coincide with some nice MBP updates so I have a nice reason to justify buying a new laptop. :)

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Sorry, but it is nowhere near ready to be shipped. It easily needs another 3-6 months. It's still buggy, has performance issues and many features are still missing.

BigBagaroo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
Is there a plugin API in Xcode (4)?

I miss a lot of the brilliant extensions made for VS2008 and VS2010. ReSharper, Telerik, misc database plugins etc. are all good tools that enhance VS and makes it so good. That way some of the itches that Apple can't or won't scratch could be done by other developers.