Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided the second betas of iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 to public beta testers, bringing the new software to the general public. The second public beta comes two weeks after Apple released the first public beta.

Generic-iOS-18-Public-Beta-Feature-Real-Mock.jpg

Public beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program can download the iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 updates by opening up the Settings app, going to General, tapping into the Software Update section and selecting the iOS 18 Public Beta option.

iOS 18 introduces Apple Intelligence, which are AI features deeply integrated into the operating system. Not all functionality is available at this time, but it brings Writing Tools for rewriting, polishing, proofreading, and summarizing text across apps, and you can generate custom images with Image Playground. There are custom emoji available through the Genmoji feature, and Siri is getting entirely overhauled. Note that Apple Intelligence isn't yet live in the betas.

ipaos-18-image-playground.jpg

Along with the AI features (which will be limited to the iPhone 15 Pro models and M-series iPads), iOS 18 brings a redesigned Home Screen with the option to rearrange app icons and widgets with open spaces, plus there's a tint option and new darker colors for Dark Mode.

iOS-18-Home-Screen-Feature-1.5.jpg

Control Center has been revamped and you can pick and choose what you want to have front and center from the new Controls Gallery. There are multiple pages so you can group related controls, and you can customize sizes. As part of this update, the Flashlight and Camera icons on the Lock Screen can be swapped out, and you can also choose Control Center options for the iPhone 15 Pro Action Button.

control-center-ios-18.jpg

The Messages app supports scheduling texts, you can use any emoji for the Tapback feature, and you can send messages via satellite. There are text effects you can use for any word, phrase, or emoji, plus formatting like bold and italic is an option. For texts with Android users, Apple now supports RCS, which basically means you won't run into issues with sending images and files, plus you can see typing indicators and read receipts and send texts over Wi-Fi.

iMessage-Send-Later-iOS-18.jpg

Safari is able to summarize webpages and show you important info at a glance, the Photos app has been overhauled to focus more on surfacing your best photos. A dedicated Passwords app makes it easier to get to your saved passwords and logins, and you can now lock any app with Face ID or Touch ID.

ios-18-safari-app.jpg

There are a ton of new features in iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 that aren't mentioned here, so for a more in-depth look make sure to check out our iOS 18 roundup and our iPadOS 18 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 Public Betas

BallparkDreamer

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Updating my 2018 iPP 😄. If this one is in a good spot, I meant go ahead and throw it on my M4. We shall see.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Is there a way of knowing if this is the same build as the developer beta released Friday or if there have been fixes in this build?
It’s the same one, I changed my beta profile back to public beta from developer beta and it said there my iPad was up to date.

Reactions: TwoBytes

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
So do we install this or just wait for the 18.1 PB if we haven’t hopped on the beta bandwagon yet? God this rollout is so annoying lol.

bondr006

Suspended
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Going to update my M1 iPad Pro 11 now. I have the first PB 18 and like it a lot. Looking forward to see what this new PB has to offer. One thing I don't get, is why my iPhone 13PM will not get the AI features, when my older M1 iPad Pro will get all the new features.
sad3.png
roll eyes 3.png

Last edited:

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Going to update my M1 iPad Pro 11 now. I have the first PB 18 and like it a lot. Looking forward to see what this new PB has to offer. One thing I don't get, is why my iPhone 13PM will not get the AI features, when my older M1 iPad Pro will get all the new features. View attachment 2401089 View attachment 2401088
As far as any of us can tell it’s RAM. M1 has 8GB 13 Pro Max has 6

• Sad
Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.