Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.5 update to public beta testers, just one day after releasing the second OS X 10.11.5 beta to developers and a month after releasing OS X 10.11.4, the fourth update to the OS X 10.11 operating system.

The second beta of OS X 10.11.5 is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who are enrolled in Apple's beta testing program. Those who want to join the program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website.

elcapitanmacbook-800x463.jpg

Most of the updates to OS X 10.11 have been minor in scale, and OS X 10.11.5 is no exception. The update appears to focus on under-the-hood bug fixes, security enhancements, and performance improvements with no obvious outward-facing changes discovered in the first two developer betas.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan Beta to Public Beta Testers

Reactions: webus97

rmeulen

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
The Netherlands
Ok. Installed. Running fine. No change in snappiness of safari or other obvious improvements. x.x.4 to x.x.5 is not a giant leap for OSX.

Reactions: bcc2k
Comment

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The first beta has produced one bug for me: doing SOMETHING with Safari crashed the Macbook and I had to do a hard reboot. Sadly it's not exactly useful Feedback for Apple since I'm not sure what website it was and what I did. :p

Reactions: webus97
Comment

webus97

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Anyone know if they fixed the rMBP UI lag and the system wide freezing?
[doublepost=1461276280][/doublepost]
The first beta has produced one bug for me: doing SOMETHING with Safari crashed the Macbook and I had to do a hard reboot. Sadly it's not exactly useful Feedback for Apple since I'm not sure what website it was and what I did. :p
Same thing happens to me. But one thing, I have a 2015 maxed out rMPB and I have ALSO had large amounts of UI lag.

Comment

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Still no miniatures in mission control, we still need to hover the cursor over the top bar to see the previews of the spaces/desktops, don't really get why we need to do one extra step to get all the info we should really be getting directly

Reactions: SAdProZ and R2FX
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
So I have public beta seed on my iPhone, and I bet I will receive next major iOS version beta installer.
And I have developer beta seed on my MacBook Air. I can receive next major Mac OS X version beta installer.
Both can be installed without installing profile. I cannot even turn off receiving beta software in Mac OS X through App Store settings - I cannot find it.

And, current 10.11.5 seems that more stable than previous version. Good sign. Hope I don't see a folder with a question mark inside that often.

Comment

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
Downloading now! I will let you know once I'm past 50% download...
[doublepost=1461309151][/doublepost]
Really? Can you give us more input? Thank you in advance.

Safari feels snappier!
[doublepost=1461309209][/doublepost]
This may be the last update till next os x.

I don't think so! This time Apple for sure will break their release pattern!
[doublepost=1461309256][/doublepost]
Cant see it yet in UK

Look harder!

Comment

rnbwd

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2015
Seattle
Seems all "dev-betas" become public betas a few days later.

Nice.

Lol it seems like they've been released within 24 hours or less since of each other since the the first official release - but this is my first year using betas - and so far both OS's have felt incomplete - with features / bugs rolling in waves. i just wish it was a little more consistent with like Mavericks or something being made extremely stable and capatable with the latest Xcode and the Yosemite / Capitan branch considered unstable - they could easily work on this release another year before 10.12 but maybe it's best they just scrap it with Yosemite and make 10.12 the what 10/11 were always intended to become, and have a 3 year release cycle with optional betas in between

Last edited:
Comment

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
so, where's that support for new skylake processors? it must be somewhere there, any hint please??

Comment

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Still no miniatures in mission control, we still need to hover the cursor over the top bar to see the previews of the spaces/desktops, don't really get why we need to do one extra step to get all the info we should really be getting directly
To add insult to injury, you get the miniature/thumbnail that you would want only if you assign Mission Control to a Hot Corner; but you don't get it at all via Track Pad gestures or F3 button. It's an odd behavior that they wouldn't implement this consistently. Bad design detail as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
PLEASE MAKE OS X stable again! Lightroom crashes, Safari crashes, Finder and Dock crash. Seriously, Apple, I don't have time for this, that's why I bought a Mac and not a Windows PC. (sigh)

Comment

lodolfo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013

That happened to me. However, it was not the beta. I'm running 10.11.4 (the release version) and this happens to me when I'm trying to watch Netflix on Safari. First Netflix throws an error, tells me to reload the page, gives me the same error, rinse and repeat a few times, then hard crash. Since I'm not running a beta I sent them feedback via their web form and watch Netflix on Chrome until the next release.

Reactions: navaira
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.