Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second public betas of upcoming iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 updates to its public beta testing group, two weeks after releasing the first betas and a few day after providing the second betas to developers.

iOS-14.2-on-Phone-Feature.jpg

Public beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program can download the iOS and iPadOS‌ 14.2 updates over the air after installing the proper certificate from the Public Beta website on an iOS device.

Apple in iOS and iPadOS 14.2 is adding new Emoji 13 emoji characters, with options that include smiling face with tear, ninja, pinched fingers, anatomical heart, black cat, mammoth, polar bear, dodo, fly, bell pepper, tamale, bubble tea, potted plant, piñata, plunger, wand, feather, hut, and more, with a full list available here.

2020emoji.jpg

iOS 14.2 introduces a new Music Recognition control for the Control Center, deepening the integration of the Apple-owned Shazam app in the iOS operating system. Music Recognition lets you discover music playing around you and it can recognize music playing in apps even when you're wearing AirPods.

The Shazam Music Recognition feature can be added to Control Center through the Control Center options in the Settings app. To use the feature, open up Control Center and then tap on the Shazam icon to initiate a single recognition.

musicrecognitioncontrol.jpg

The new update brings a redesigned Now Playing widget for the Control Center that lists recently played albums that you might want to listen to when you have no music playing. There's also a redesigned interface for AirPlay, making it easier to play music across multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices in the home.

For those who have low vision, Apple added a "People Detection" feature in the Magnifier app that uses the camera to let iPhone users know how far away other people are, which can be useful for social distancing purposes.

magnifierpeopledetection.jpg

As for smaller but interesting tweaks, iOS 14.2 brings a new icon for the Apple Watch app, with the watch now sporting one of Apple's new Solo Loop bands.

iOS14.2WatchCompare.jpg

The new iOS 14.2 beta will likely be in testing for some time as Apple works on releasing new iPhones, with the new iPhones expected to debut sometime in October.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Public Betas of iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 With New Emoji and Shazam Control Center Options

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hopefully in the next few hours the next Watch beta will see a public release. I'm probably gun shy now, but I've been bitten twice this summer by constant watch reboots while phone remained on the latest beta, and watch remained on one version behind for a day or two.

Shellbo6901

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
FL
is anyone having problems with their contacts not showing up? XR with 14 isn't showing newer ones even though its been added

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
For those who have low vision, Apple added a "People Detection" feature in the Magnifier app that uses the camera to let iPhone users know how far away other people are, which can be useful for social distancing purposes.
Fun! I want to test this with a mirror and see what results I get.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Hopefully the install improves the supposed AirPods handoff feature that just doesn’t work on my devices so far. For me, one of the most anticipated features of 14, besides Picture in Picture Video, and widgets.

Reactions: Chompineer

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Yeah do yourself a favor and skip this beta. My ipad Pro is so slow now. Everything on it is sooo slow. Don’t do it!

Gary Koffler

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2020
My iPhone 11 jumped from 114GB used to 255.4 GB used with the “Other” memory usage indicator taking up the difference. Installing update now. Given the warning above about system slow down, I may wait on updating my iPad Pro which is experiencing the charging issue.

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
My iPhone 11 jumped from 114GB used to 255.4 GB used with the “Other” memory usage indicator taking up the difference. Installing update now. Given the warning above about system slow down, I may wait on updating my iPad Pro which is experiencing the charging issue.

I have no issues with slowdown, running just fine. Charging fixed though.

Reactions: whirldy

Pcar17

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2018
What was the bug?
Devices wouldn't charge unless you rebooted them. Had issues on both a 2018 12.9" and 2020 11", with both 18w and 30w chargers. Saw a few other people mention it too. https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/661393

I experienced the charging bug on 14.2 Beta 1 with an iPad Pro 11 where it wouldn’t charge under various circumstances. Happily, at least for me, it appears to now be fixed in the latest iPadOS 14.2 Beta 2.

Thanks for posting the URL to the Apple developer forum thread on this issue!

????

Reactions: Rocko99991
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.