Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Server Admin Tools 10.5.6, which enables remote administration of Mac OS X 10.5.6 Server. Full details on the package contents can be found on Apple's download page and on their corresponding support page.

Server Admin Tools 10.5.6 contain remote administration tools, documentation, and utilities that you can install on a computer other than your server. This version is required to administer Mac OS X Server version 10.5.6 from a remote Mac client.

The package weighs in at 88 MB and requires OS X 10.5.6.

Article Link: Apple Releases Server Admin Tools 10.5.6

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had trouble with the previous Server Admin Tools package, used both on our school server and for remote access to the server, but I'll be glad to keep it up to date to avoid gotchas that others have run into.

These utility program updates are easy. We have more trouble doing Mac OS X Server updates simply because the server is so often in use. There's rarely a chance to restart the server during school hours and I don't like to install updates that require a restart and not stick around to make sure things go OK after the restart. Just superstitious, I guess.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Quite the low key update. I've never had problems with the Server Admin Tools.

I share the same superstition Doctor Q.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
I can't say I've had any problems with the old version as well. What Apple really needs to do is release an iPhone version of this software.

This is pretty much the perfect program for an iPhone port.

Low requirements for processing power (simple GUI interface).
Low network data transfer.
Something very useful for administrators away from the office or on the way there, etc.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
These utility program updates are easy. We have more trouble doing Mac OS X Server updates simply because the server is so often in use.
I know what you mean. Here, our servers are under constant load 24/7, so it's really difficult to book time to restart them as you never seem to be able to tell if it's going to make things better or worse (even with a good bit of pre-deployment testing). Hell, AFP didn't start playing ball properly until 10.5.5 :rolleyes:

This is pretty much the perfect program for an iPhone port.
Agreed. It'd be much useful when in a data room.

...all I want for this year is a reliable Xsan Admin.app. You know, one displays the actual server states correctly *all* the time, not just when it feels like it. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.